Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Ultimate DooMer

What type of music goes best with DooM?

What type of music goes best with DooM?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What type of music goes best with DooM?

• Metal/punk
    • Dance/techno
    • Drum n bass/garage
    • Hip hop/r n b
    • Pop
    • Jazz
    • Classical
    • Ambient/chillout
    • DooM music (midi)
    • Other

'other', because there isn't a 'noise' category. also 'metal' and 'ambient'.

If by 'noise' you mean ambient sounds, then they're not music. (and you haven't voted, either)

The Merovingian: I suppose I should've put it in (given it's popularity round DW) but you could count industrial as a branch of metal. (as I was thinking of putting heavy metal, but I just put metal, given that there's many different types)

Ultimate DooMer said:

I suppose I should've put it in (given it's popularity round DW) but you could count industrial as a branch of metal. (as I was thinking of putting heavy metal, but I just put metal, given that there's many different types)

You see, that's the whole problem. There are industrial groups who are not metal. That's why these polls are useless: you cannot classify most bands in a strict category. Even worse, a band may have a track that suits well on a specific level and just one.

Yeah, and why are punk and metal under the same category...?

The best music for a map depends on a particular map and how you want to make it "feel." A single gerne can't ever be enough. Also, music must be prepared to be placed in a level. Music that doesn't cycle properly, or music that has singing (chanting-like vague voices that don't say anything may be fine) are stupid for a game level.

Doom music.

If I were to be physically prevented from using the Doom music, I'd probably go for NIN (ideally just instrumentals) or Ozric Tentacles (no blasted singing in their stuff, heh). Or maybe silence.

Isn't there already a poll similar to this?

I smell something burning

Mmmm fava beans...

Post hell immediatly please

I guess you haven't checked Post Hell recently. No fava beans anymore, but what's playing there now is far worse than that off-key music.

Ultimate DooMer said:

The Merovingian: I suppose I should've put it in (given it's popularity round DW) but you could count industrial as a branch of metal.

Umm, no.

Industrial pretty much started when punk was popular, in the late 70s/early 80s. Early industrial was structuraly and lyricly similar to punk, yet they used many electronic/machine-made sounds through the use of synthesizers and other fun things, often inspired my electronic groups such as Kraftwerk. Throbbing Gristle, the band that coined the term 'industrial' ("this is industrial music for industrial people!"), was of the more experimental variety of industrial, not having any real structure to their music (which was mostly screaming and banging on stuff with some electronic effects to back them up. Then there were groups like Fad Gadget and Einstürzende Neubauten, who sampled the sounds of machinery and used it as music. More 'mainstream' on the industrial stage was Front 242. They pretty much stuck to the punk/electronic format and are one of the groups that started the 'Electric Body Music' genre of hard-core dance music which survives today through its popularity in underground clubs.

So basicaly, these days industrial covers all kinds of genres, from EBM (Razed in Black, Front Line Assembly), to experimental/ambient (Coil, Download), to industrial metal (Ministry, mid-years KMFDM), and stuff thats harder to classify other than 'industrial' (Skinny Puppy, Das Ich). To be honest, its hard to classify industrial as more than this:

1. Electronic (a must)
2. Harsh and/or Dark (Some like Coil aren't very harsh, and some like ohGr aren't very dark)
3. Anarchic/Apocalyptic lyrics (most of the time)
4. Use of drum kits over drums (about 80% of the time)
5. Written by middle-class white males from America, Canada, or Europe (the only exception to this is the occasional female and the 3 or 4 ethnic people who have bravely tried). :P

That is all.

i dont think techno would fit many levels, though some it does. rock has it levels but ambient would work the best

ones that dont fit rap, country, hiphop, old school redneck country and country

Coming from someone who is still on probation for being annoying, that's actually quite funny, heheh.

The Merovingian said:

MagnuM, you stroke first.

Do I realy care??

Uhh lemme think here...nope

Ultraviolet said:

Trip-hop, anyone?

Heh, some tracks could fit actually. Interesting.

Ultimate DooMer said:

If by 'noise' you mean ambient sounds, then they're not music. (and you haven't voted, either)

bypassing the various definitions of 'music': by 'noise' i mean the actual genre, which is not ambient, though the two can, of course, sometimes intersect. stuff like merzbow's venereology, though, certainly couldn't be called 'ambient/chillout' accurately, in my opinion. and no, i haven't voted.

The Merovingian said:

Heh, some tracks could fit actually. Interesting.

That's good, cuz' I wasn't kidding. Think along the lines of a combination of industrial/dnb/breakbeat/trip-hop. Some Hive, perhaps, or could somebody name something a bit less "mainstream?"

I wouldn't mind some reccomendations along the lines of those genres... not too "underground" though, I'd never be able to find any.

I feel that the difference between "classical" and "orchestral" didn't get attention paid to it.