Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

The /newstuff Chronicles #130

I played Nostromo's Run just now. I didn't find the "randomization" that bad, actually. The beef I had with it is the ease. I usually play maps on HMP first as a default. And when I got to the end, with the big radiaiton pit and all, I'm thinking, "where's the ten freakin' Cyberdemons I'm obviously supposed to fight with all this damned plasma?" Okay, turns out there weren't any, except on UV (I checked). If you don't have any Cyberdemons or Spiders on a given skill, then don't include over a thousand extra cells. And even on UV, you get two Cyberdemons and two Spiders... but you still don't need a thousand cells.

Ah, well. /me downloads Southern Cross.

EDIT: Was Dark7 ever reviewed in /newstuff, or was it released before /newstuff started? Guess I'd like to play that, too.

I see. Thanks... I was kinda looking for a link though. Ah, well. *Grabs cheesy safari hat* Guess I'm gonna comb through the archives for this one...

Dammit Linguica... for the /idgames pages, can you apply some CSS to make the ads not display? Whenever one of those popup flash ads layers itself over the page, even after it closes, I can't hit any of the fucking links! Oh, and kill Telefragged while you're at it.

Yes, it certainly is great to see the fonts on the left all squashed and the 3 buttons on the top right mis-sized and overlapping each other ...

Sorry guys about the underdetail of southern cross.I don't know much of decorating those startan,tan,grey textures with.Anyone know how to detail old startan walls?

Thanks!

Arioch said:

Yes, it certainly is great to see the fonts on the left all squashed and the 3 buttons on the top right mis-sized and overlapping each other ...

So? Effects like those are cosmetic at worst and show up only on a very tiny fraction of the sites I browse on a regular basis.

Afterglow said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
insertwackynamehere# said:

Where did you get that XP theme?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uhhh, it's XP Silver included with the OS...

Could you tell me what folder it's in, because it's not listed in Display Properties/Theme. All that's there is "Windows XP" and "Windows Classic"

insertwackynamehere# said:

Could you tell me what folder it's in, because it's not listed in Display Properties/Theme. All that's there is "Windows XP" and "Windows Classic"

It's under the Appearance tab, in Color Scheme.

bryant robinson said:

Sorry guys about the underdetail of southern cross.I don't know much of decorating those startan,tan,grey textures with.Anyone know how to detail old startan walls?

Is Dark7 really your creation? If yes I worship you.

Grazza said:

Might you consider accepting wads that are essentially (and mostly) original works, but contain a few areas that are clearly recognizable as being from id levels (and there is a legitimate reason for this; e.g., the idea is to suggest that the wad follows on from where the Icon of Sin got destroyed)?

Possibly. I got clearance to put something (I forget what now) up that included a level that was an obvious homage to MAP01 but not one of the typical Dwangoish clones. At the time I even asked Romero for permission, but I'd say those days are over :)

If you (or anyone) finds something you think should be up there but you're not sure about it, feel free to email me first so we can discuss it. I'd rather do that than discover something I'm not clear about and have to go hunt down the author.

/me hugs Ty. Seeing you around makes me feel less old than I really am :)

bryant robinson said:

Thanks!

You don't have to apologize to us about that, it looks nice to me.
You might look into the old Doom Alpha textures, though. There are a bunch of cool transitional textures in there. Even just using more varied textures (within the same theme) can make stuff look that much better.

bryant robinson said:

Thanks!

Easy, just throw in some Support2, and put some computer consoles on the walls here and there. Also, some lights here and there don't hurt :)

Ty Halderman said:

If you (or anyone) finds something you think should be up there but you're not sure about it, feel free to email me first so we can discuss it. I'd rather do that than discover something I'm not clear about and have to go hunt down the author.

Thanks for this useful clarification.

Helpyourselfish is pretty fucking awesome, yes? Incredible use of texturing, excellent health/ammo balance... just plain amazing

prower said:

Helpyourselfish is pretty fucking awesome, yes? Incredible use of texturing, excellent health/ammo balance... just plain amazing

Agreed.

prower said:

yep, sounds about right.

It is a great level, I love huge levels. And the build time is pretty amazing too, it'd take me a decade to do a map like that. Jury is still out on that sky, it's a bit loud imo.

I'm beginning to get annoyed by rereleases now. I dunno whether I'm coming or going.

helpyourselfish was very nice, props.

Speaking of props, Grazza is this weeks /newstuff legend posting within 1 minute of /newstuff going up and beating Ling by 49 minutes. He gets this.