Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ricki

Doom 3 World

hi, i dunno if this has already been talked about on here before because i don't post that often. I only just found this site the other day: http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/index.php it has been around since early last year and it has some excellent tutorials on how to make your own mod for Doom 3. Check it out if u haven't seen it before. If you have seen it, sorry for wasting your time! :)

Ricki said:

it has been around since early last year and it has some excellent tutorials on how to make your own mod for Doom 3.

Don't those sorry criminal bastards understand that it is fucking illegal to make Doom 3 mods from the damn Alpha?

they aren't releasing anything at all until the full Doom 3 game is complete. they have very strict rules on their site and any screenshots, links to the alpha, etc. all result in an instant ban. it's a very good site if u want to learn how to make a doom 3 mod.

dsm said:

Don't those sorry criminal bastards understand that it is fucking illegal to make Doom 3 mods from the damn Alpha?

Thanks for your warm welcome dsm.

Moderators of this board have approved the site to be allowed to get linked within my signature.

I got contacted by BBG a while ago and after he visited my site I recieved a more polite answer that I can keep it.

I further like to tell you, that I'm in no way spread the leaked alpha, custom maps or such nor do I encourage people to download it or work with it.

I've been running this little forum since the year 2000, started shortly after I saw the MAC World demo in Tokyo.
Obviously I got popular at an unexpected time when the unfortunate alpha leaked.

After spending a significant amount of itme fighting down any link and / or alpha screenshot the forum established itself as a ressource and believe me when I tell you that's very much hated among all the attention seekers for it's rather stronghanded policy regarding files and screenshots.

It indeed is true that you can find a lot of instructions for educational purposes how to create content for the game called "Doom3", but this isn't specifically targeted towards the leaked alpha.

There's much to explore in the fields of modelling and per pixel lighting which get's achieved via normal maps created from geometry modelled in Lightwave or MAX or whatever.

Tutorials on this forum cover not exclusively the leaked alpha, but the general content creation process for my engine of choice - Doom3.

Instead of accusing me as being a criminal bastard, you should read the forum policy first as posted here:
http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=749

Furthermore I'd like to tell you that almost anybody official is aware of this site and so far I have never recieved any request to modify the content or to take the site down entirely.

It in fact is true that you can find many interesting tutorials how to work with such an advanced high quality surface realtime rendering engine, but to simply put it on the same level as the countless file spreading and warez sites is not only inappropriate but also simply wrong and may get mistaken by people who by now think they've found a new resource to continue violating copyrights and distributing files. At least on new member came from your post here and started to advertise file links.

The forum is an attempt to offer people who are technically inclined a place where they can discuss topics regarding and beyond the Doom3 engine, but it's by no means one of the "criminal bastards" sites.

However a forum has to have a policy how to deal with things - even the doomworld.com forums offer a forum section tailored for doom3 editing.

I've always respected the doomworld forum policy and never made any attempt to spam your board with misleading "ALL INFO HERE" attention seeking posts.

I'm keeping a low profile and I like it this way.

Personally I think the leaked version of doom3 was a very unfortunate event, an event I would have preferred never to happen.

I think my forum will aid many people in creating custom content when the game is out but for the time being I'm only considering it as a place where a small amount of geeks gather to talk tech.

If you want to accuse people of being criminal, I can send you a long list of sites which do exactely what you would consider "criminal".

What I personally think about people who try to sell files for the leaked doom3 version or spread them further is documented in this little discussion:
http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=984

I'd like to live in peace and don't want to get accused for criminal attempts other people make.

However - keep your good work up and help me and others to stop the alpha from spreading further.

Cheers from Germany & sorry for any typos or funny grammar
Bernhard "BNA!" Grabowski

Ricki said:

they aren't releasing anything at all until the full Doom 3 game is complete. they have very strict rules on their site and any screenshots, links to the alpha, etc. all result in an instant ban. it's a very good site if u want to learn how to make a doom 3 mod.

Ricki, thanks for clearing this up for me - I've been busy to type in a mile long reply and didn't spot your reply to the thread.

All I hope is that the community may get a headstart for the complex task to create custom content for this admittedly awsome realitme engine.

I really became a fan of this technology and hope that id software will continue to amaze us with further technical advancements with the engine after doom3.

This said I'm crossing my finger that John Carmack considers to do another great engine which fully relys on completely free programmable gpu's.

Sorry if I sounded rude, put it pisses me off to no end that there are actually people out there doing maps for the alpha and I immediately assumed that that was what was taking place on that site.

Thanks for clearing up that stuff about the tutorials - I'd be sure to check it out.

I further like to tell you, that I'm in no way spread the leaked alpha, custom maps or such nor do I encourage people to download it or work with it.

uhh..

Tutorials on this forum cover not exclusively the leaked alpha, but the general content creation process for my engine of choice - Doom3.

HAH!

don't worry, i'm sure you'll be able to do your work legally soon enough :P

I got contacted by BBG a while ago and after he visited my site I recieved a more polite answer that I can keep it.

Yeah, IIRC, it was very soon after the alpha release and I was on a hellbent quest to destroy any links to it or anything concerning it that id didn't want, and I remember contacting you asking for your to confirm your site's mission, and you let me know that it was safe and I was happy :)

but it pisses me off to no end that there are actually people out there doing maps for the alpha

I don't understand why anyone should get so upset about this. You make it sound like they're selling crack to kids. There are more important things in the world to get angry about then some people making, or attempting to make mods/maps for a game that's not out yet.

DaJuice said:
I don't understand why anyone should get so upset about this. You make it sound like they're selling crack to kids. There are more important things in the world to get angry about then some people making, or attempting to make mods/maps for a game that's not out yet.

I tend to agree with this. As I see it, these people are just getting used to working with the game before it's released so they can start up on a real project much quicker once the game is done.

But to add to this, I don't see why people get flamed for saying they want to make a Doom 3 mod. I mean, no shit, of course the game isn't out yet, but there is a lot of work to be done before you sit down on a computer and start making levels or models or coding and stuff. Some people know they want to do a certain thing and they know that they want to use the Doom 3 engine to do it, and there is nothing wrong with asking if anyone wants to help out on that; it does take more than one person to plan, ya know. But that's just my opinion, I suppose...

DaJuice said:

It's not the fact that people want to make mods or cutom maps - it's the way the usually behave. I should've kept something like doomworld'd post hell to store all the dumb attempts of people to trade files.

All these mod announcements for Doom3 are pretty much worthless. There's no real SDK out and while the game is rather freely configurable I wouldn't say that qualifies for real mod coding.
Most of these new mod groups are "me too" attempts. It's like they strip in front of their computers and sing "Mod, you give me reason to live...". No doubt we'll see interesting modifications and total conversions, but so far you can basically ignore "mod available soon" posts. One thing that's impossible with Doom3 is to link the word "soon" with "much content finished".
I'd say show some mercy with the kids who don't know any better and keep an eye on the mod groups who tend to stay quiet.

I personally am cool with folks who want to work with it and I try to give the editing community a headstart, but I don't want to see custom maps distributed. They tend to lack quality (no wonder - the tools are barely figured out) and potential customers of Doom3 may get a wrong impression.

The real good artists have kept all their work so far and believe me when I say that we'll see so absolutely original and gorgeous maps next year like never before. What people can do with the tech is simply amazing.

dsm said:

Sorry if I sounded rude, put it pisses me off to no end that there are actually people out there doing maps for the alpha and I immediately assumed that that was what was taking place on that site.

Thanks for clearing up that stuff about the tutorials - I'd be sure to check it out.

np - basically we're on the same mission but in different (doom/3)world's :)

Feel invited to Doom3world.org and take a look around - if you're into editing or tech you'll enjoy the visit.