Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
insertwackynamehere

Blake Stone

Does anyone remember Blake Stone? I was just thinking about how cool it would be if they remade it like they did with Doom and Wolf. Any other old games they should bring back, modernized?

1 drink: When Scuba Steve makes a post on whether to take a drink or not.

IIRC there's an edge mod for Blake Stone. As 3Drealms own Blake I wouldn't expect a new game out anytime soon.

They should bring back Syndicate

A Blakestone mod for Quake 3 would be pretty cool. As long as it's Aliens of Gold... the other one sucked.

it was always awfully nice of the enemy to keep you supplied with health via the vending machines.

pregnant with worms said:

it was always awfully nice of the enemy to keep you supplied with health via the vending machines.

Yes.

Also, it beat Half-Life to the whole 'helpful scientists' thing by about 4 or 5 years.

Blake Stone was awesome. I had the registered version of that before I even had registered Doom, I think.

If anyone does want to make a Commander Keen platform mod, they can use the sidescroller engine-type thing I'm using for my Doom sidescroller mod.

I hated that game. The weapons were lame, colourful toy guns (even worse than Q3A's) that were basically un-cool versions of the Wolf3d weapons with the exception of the plasma-gun-thingy that would launch a blob at the enemy and explode causing several enemies to explode around it (which was the only cool weapon).

It was probably the first game that made me dislike NPCs in a game - those damn scientists kept getting in your way so that you'd end up killing them with a peashooter.
It was also the first game where I got pissed over "terminator-like" enemies that would barely flinch when shot.

It had some nice ideas though (vending machines).

I borrowed Blake Stone back in the day and played to for like 10 minutes before it annoyed me too much.

dsm said:

I hated that game. The weapons were lame, colourful toy guns (even worse than Q3A's) that were basically un-cool versions of the Wolf3d weapons with the exception of the plasma-gun-thingy that would launch a blob at the enemy and explode causing several enemies to explode around it (which was the only cool weapon).

It was probably the first game that made me dislike NPCs in a game - those damn scientists kept getting in your way so that you'd end up killing them with a peashooter.
It was also the first game where I got pissed over "terminator-like" enemies that would barely flinch when shot.

It had some nice ideas though (vending machines).

You whine too much. That game was great. It had like a million things I hadn't seen in other games before then. Vending machines, NPCs, enemies that got back up after you thought they were dead, enemies that spawned from pods, etc, etc. And that was just the first episode. I liked the sounds in it a lot, but the guns were pretty lame looking for the most part, and that one old guy kept coming in every other level to annoy you.

You call that whining? I thought I was only stating my opinion and giving reasons for why my opinion looks like it does.

:-P

They need to remake Heretic and/or Hexen using the Doom3 engine. I can only imagine what Raven could do with that kind of power.

DooMBoy said:

They need to remake Heretic and/or Hexen using the Doom3 engine. I can only imagine what Raven could do with that kind of power.

Yes.
Sadly, they won't. At least not until waaaay out in the future.

the_Danarchist said:

You whine too much. That game was great. It had like a million things I hadn't seen in other games before then. Vending machines, NPCs, enemies that got back up after you thought they were dead, enemies that spawned from pods, etc, etc. And that was just the first episode. I liked the sounds in it a lot, but the guns were pretty lame looking for the most part, and that one old guy kept coming in every other level to annoy you.

Thats a hologram of Dr. Goldfire.

dsm said:

Yes.
Sadly, they won't. At least not until waaaay out in the future.

Yeah, when only people like me or Ichor or Liam or other hardcore Heretic/Hexen players can remember them >:(

m0l0t0v said:

Some of those shots look as if the weapons are PCX being veiwed as BMP....just like Blake originally. However, I don't mind Blake Stone, even though it sometimes is annoying with all the colors, because I remember playing it as a little kid, like Doom, and Duke 1,2,3 so it has emotional value.

DooMBoy said:

Yeah, when only people like me or Ichor or Liam or other hardcore Heretic/Hexen players can remember them >:(

AND dsm. Anyway, it's not as much a matter of people not remembering - it's just that the Raven guys don't seem to feel like it, judging by a thread I read on ravensoft.com.

ravage said:

Thats a hologram of Dr. Goldfire.

Yeah I know. I just forgot his name.

ice cream bar said:

Any other old games they should bring back, modernized?

DUNGEON MASTER OMG!!!!!

Coopersville said:

Catacomb Abyss

i agree. actually, someone started to remake it using md2s and other coolness, but now it's abandoned. you can find a little bit about it on the catacomb site on classicgaming.com, since the webmaster there was the one making it.