Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pritch

Have your say

Are the DW forum staff on a power trip?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Are the DW forum staff on a power trip?

• Yes
    • No

Prompted by recent events, I have decided to ask you guys what you think of the running of the forums. Whilst I don't believe we're on a power trip, it has been suggested we are, and I want you to give your honest opinions, so we can change that. We all try and do what's best for the forums as a whole because we do actually give a shit, but occasionly I do think it's right to ask you if we are getting it right.

So answer this poll question, and offer suggestions below.

must... restrain self... from adding... impsex option...

GUH

pritch said:

so we can change that

Who's "we"? I certainly don't intend on changing anything about what I do here.

I personally think so. They seem to PH a lot of threads that aren't particularly offensive or damaging to Doomworld in any way, they simply do it because they don't like the thread. Take this thread for instance. Was it really NECESSARY to PH this, is it possible that pritch wanted to do it to make himself feel good by being in control and exercising his power?

I mean, these guys also have an entire hidden forum to themselves where they talk about members on Doomworld they'd like to loser, ban, etc., like they're sitting atop some ivory tower discussing who's worthy enough to post here on these GREAT DOOMWORLD FORUMS. To me it's pretty disgusting... IMO a member should be banned only if they're causing a pretty big disurbance, or actively doing something illegal, etc., not because they lack the IQ to make a thread up the DW staffs standards of eloquency.

But, that's just my opinion. Feel free to agree/disagree.

yes, there have been instances of power trippage. But nothing terrible. The things that have happened, have happened in a humerous way. It gives the forums a little charm I suppose.

However, I myself havent been the target of any harrasment or anything from the mods. Anyone who may have will probably feel different.

I do occasionally see some favoratism. But that doesnt really bother me either.

I post helled that thread because I thought it was obvious why 'heroes' all look the same.

I mean, do you expect to see a fat retard shouting "No one steals our babes, and lives?" No. Action heroes have always been butch, action babes will continue to enjoy comedy-sized breasts. The question answers itself.

I think you need to understand in order to work here we occasionally need to use our subjective opinions. I'm not saying it's faultless. I've always said I screw up at times, and frankly I'm fucked if I know how to change that. But if enough people say, yeah it was lame of you to hell that thread, then I try not to do it again.

The bitter irony would be when Lut uses his "who voted" script and bans everyone who picked "yes."

I voted no by the way, because I haven't really witnessed any threads being destroyed that shouldn't have been. Some of mine end up in PH but they deserve to be there. I even saw a mod pick a thread out of PH once.

pritch said:

I post helled that thread because I thought it was obvious why 'heroes' all look the same.

I mean, do you expect to see a fat retard shouting "No one steals our babes, and lives?" No. Action heroes have always been butch, action babes will continue to enjoy comedy-sized breasts. The question answers itself.

I think you need to understand in order to work here we occasionally need to use our subjective opinions. I'm not saying it's faultless. I've always said I screw up at times, and frankly I'm fucked if I know how to change that. But if enough people say, yeah it was lame of you to hell that thread, then I try not to do it again.

Okay, well I'm saying it's lame.

But I mean, you made your point, and closed the thread with no more possible room for discussion. NONE at all. Now, was it NECESSARY for you do that, or did you do it because you WANTED to?

There's a BIG difference.

pritch said:

You might have at least explained that before PHing it. In fact, posting that response without sending it to hell afterward could have started an interesting discussion about stereotypes.

Carnevil said:

Have some cheese with your whine

Anyways, doesn't this crap come up like once every six months or something? People that do stupid things are made fun of? No really? Friends of the people in charge are held to more lenient standards? Gee, imagine that. If you feel put-upon, or you don't agree with the "some modicum of intelligence" standard that the mods/admins uphold, feel free to leave the Doomworld forums.

Assmaster said:

You might have at least explained that before PHing it. In fact, posting that response without sending it to hell afterward could have started an interesting discussion about stereotypes.

I don't know what sort of intellectual pie-in-the-sky forum you take this place for but I can't remember a single time where things went in such a direction.

Assmaster said:

That's his prerogative. Moderators are people too, and people can make mistakes.

Do the occasional mistake show a sinister pattern of the abuse of power? I think not.

I mean, really, take a look at what shit DOES end up in Post Hell...

Arioch said:

That's his prerogative. Moderators are people too, and people can make mistakes.

You're perfectly correct. But apparently this thread was designed to gather peoples opinions. So I gave mine. Otherwise, I wouldnt have mentioned it.

Arioch said:

Who's "we"? I certainly don't intend on changing anything about what I do here.

Ok so I can't speak for you. You mean a lot more to this place than I do anyway so I'm not sure it really matters.

Take 'we' as me and any other mods who are open to changeable style based on feedback. Those who want to stay the same can do so.

If anyone feels I'm doing anything wrong, they're perfectly welcome to say so.

fraggle said:

If anyone feels I'm doing anything wrong, they're perfectly welcome to say so.

Ditto.

On a personal note, I think, having consulted with two of my better online friends, that maybe I'm acting a bit serious lately. I apologise. I actually could do with a vacation. A very tough year at university has just ended. Computers don't really count as rest, not when you're sucked into heated online debates abut forums, coop rules, endless techie shit and stuff.

So yeah, sorry. I'll sort it out. And if I've been nasty to anyone in particular (it usually manifests itself through excess sarcasm) then just gently remind me to grow up and to stop taking a shit on the internet.

Recently, there has been somre pretty good judgement on who is banned, losered, post helled, etc. The only problem I've had really is that I can't figure out why Macvilewhore was banned for posting retarded images everywhere while Jonathan got off without penalty for doing the exact same thing.

Also, with all the imbeded mids and waves and shit, Post Hell likes to crash Windows Explorer a lot. Just so you know.

the_Danarchist said:

The only problem I've had really is that I can't figure out why Macvilewhore was banned for posting retarded images everywhere while Jonathan got off without penalty for doing the exact same thing.

Two parts to that answer.

• Jonathan stopped posting images.
  • Macvilewhore has prior history.

macvilewhore is annoying in general, of which posting images is but one symptom.

They're on a power trip alright, a power trip TO HELL.

Seriously though, no. Many (if not most) online forums are horrible pits of trolling and idiocy. The ones that avoid it do so through having moderators who don't take shit and who are pro-active in improving the general quality of the forums, and that means more than just banning people who post goatse and deleting warez request threads. The fact that the mods of this forum have a forum to discuss issues such as banning is a good thing imo and it shows they care about these issues.

Inevitably there will be cases where moderation may seem harsh, but I'd say the dw mods get it right most of the time, and there still is hell of a lot of idiocy on these forums (this is where you complain about me and image macros).

EDIT: Oh I see someone already did, heh. Yes I know my image posting was dumb, although it was a meant as a joke but I probably took it a bit too far. Having said that, had I been banned for it I wouldn't have complained or felt I had been treated unfairly.

Hmm, not on a powertrip, heh, but I'd like to see some of the super mods / admins pay attention to some of the other forums, like FF and stuff, instead of the "big 3", Doom 3 General, Classic General and Everything Else.

pritch said:
...and I want you to give your honest opinions, so we can change that.

since you asked...
you recently Post helled this thread with the comment:

pritch said
This is old. Very very old and I can't be bothered to go there again.

To me, at least, it feels like your saying that since you don't find the topic interesting, then it has to end. If you think the thread is silly, then by all means say so, and yes, the topic is old but it was meant as a "take a look at this" thread and not meant to inspire a long intellectual discussion. It hadn't degraded into silly threads or petty flame wars (and IMO it didn't look like it was going to either)... I'm basically saying that there wasn't any reason to kill it off, You've let worse theads live longer.

Now, it's not the first time it's happened, and your not the only mod who dose it, and while i don't intend to make federal case of it, it would be nice if you would be a little more easy going when the threads aren’t the absolute most brilliant thing ever.

that is all.