Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pritch

Have your say

Are the DW forum staff on a power trip?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Are the DW forum staff on a power trip?

• Yes
    • No

I'll admit i have been around when Pritch, and maybe ling and dsm, seemed as if they were on the war path (last saturday for example), but nah. I don't think i've come to a point where i thought "No, i'm not being sensitive. He's being a bastard" whenever i feel a bit offended.

Shaviro said:

Who's Julian?

Now there's a thoughtful, non-redundant comment, posted by everybody's favorite neverspamming supermod :P

Fredrik said:

Now there's a thoughtful, non-redundant comment, posted by everybody's favorite neverspamming supermod :P

heh. :P

Fredrik said:

You are right about the 'everybody's favorite' part.

I tend to agree on the "stupid question" part.

There have been two instances that I can remember.

Firstly there was the "Mancubus has a feline face" claim. Most of us felt that it was a ridiculous claim, but a claim it was nonetheless and it was not deliberately hurting in any fashion.

If this thread has been allowed to run it's cause there would probably be a fun (DSM'ish) discussion where where many would claim that the face was more human. The thread starter could post the reason why he thought the mancubus looked like a cat and other would rebuke them.

At some point sooner or later the thread would the thread would dissolve into pure silliness with people posting pics of mancubi with pasted in unglycat faces and so forth. It would go to post hell in both cases. But I think that it is better that it ended in hilarity than it ended in frustration.

One bigass thread of silliness is Way better than three tiny ones of hatred.

The next one is the recent case with the guy asking what the Arch Vile was all about. If this thread was allowed to stay it could be a bit like the "When you first met Doom2" where people would explain why they thought the arch-vile ruled or sucked. In the end he might even feel tempted to acquire the pc-version which would be good for id-Software and Activision (unless he chosed to warez it).

We were a bit hard on Sic for his doom3 mod idea. Even if the idea did stink, it didn't make a retard out of him.

Or when a messenger from kirby_x came to say something in a polite manner.

Little Faith said:

I tend to agree on the "stupid question" part.

There have been two instances that I can remember.

Firstly there was the "Mancubus has a feline face" claim. Most of us felt that it was a ridiculous claim, but a claim it was nonetheless and it was not deliberately hurting in any fashion.

If this thread has been allowed to run it's cause there would probably be a fun (DSM'ish) discussion where where many would claim that the face was more human. The thread starter could post the reason why he thought the mancubus looked like a cat and other would rebuke them.

At some point sooner or later the thread would the thread would dissolve into pure silliness with people posting pics of mancubi with pasted in unglycat faces and so forth. It would go to post hell in both cases. But I think that it is better that it ended in hilarity than it ended in frustration.

One bigass thread of silliness is Way better than three tiny ones of hatred.

It's good that thread was PH'd. After all, silliness is harmful and must be pruned from the community! I mean, it's not like we're here to relax and express ourselves, we're here to have serious, intelligent conversations! AT ALL TIMES!

</sarcasm>

Carnevil said:

It's good that thread was PH'd. After all, silliness is harmful and must be pruned from the community! I mean, it's not like we're here to relax and express ourselves, we're here to have serious, intelligent conversations! AT ALL TIMES!

</sarcasm>

All I can say is that collateral damage happens. Some people even go to the chair for crimes they didn't commit.

Shaviro said:

All I can say is that collateral damage happens. Some people even go to the chair for crimes they didn't commit.

But don't you agree that if something can be done to prevent that, it should?

Carnevil said:

But don't you agree that if something can be done to prevent that, it should?

Such as?

Shaviro said:

Such as?

Well, we're still on the first stage of problem solving, which is trying to get those with a problem to admit it.

... but, thinking ahead, if these people really ARE PH'ing/deleting as a justice for the community, and NOT because they enjoy the kick they get out of it, then I suppose they would have no problem being releived of their duties. I mean, after all, who wants to HAVE to go around deleting/PH'ing stupid posts/threads. It's a burden. Perhaps they'd like to be releived of that burden. Again, who WANTS to HAVE to go around and do these stupid tasks. It's practically grunt work, they must hate it.

.. OR MAYBE THEY ENJOY DOING IT.
<Cyb> it's not a power trip it's making the forums into what I see as worthwhile to visit
<Cyb> if people don't agree that's fine, I'm not forcing them to visit or post

You decide.

Carnevil said:

You decide.

Well. I can't speak for the others, but I do get a kick out of post helling stuff. Why? Because I feel I'm a part of something good and I think I'm doing a good job, and sending a bad post to hell only punctuates that feeling.

I never set out on warpaths, even if I sometimes joke about going to ban a few hundred people from the forums =P

Try and remember that a lot of you who have complained are relatively new to the forums. Us older members have a natural instinct to try and keep them in the manner to which we've become accustomed. I'm not saying that's right, I'm just saying it happens and you have to deal with it, as I had to when I was new.

About the BBG demodded thread etc., I don't personally think it's fair or right to talk about that in public. I really don't think it's anyone's business except the admins and BBG.

Don't forget it's not only the moderators who should be sensitive, you should be sensitive to us too.

Anyway I'm gonna think more hard about post helling in future but I still trust my instincts.

Shaviro said:

Well. I can't speak for the others, but I do get a kick out of post helling stuff. Why? Because I feel I'm a part of something good and I think I'm doing a good job, and sending a bad post to hell only punctuates that feeling.

Then perhaps instead, Post Hell should be removed.

It provides mods with lots of temptation to punish a thread. After all, if we can't control the human nature of getting a kick out of PHing a thread, then perhaps we can control the temptation. If that option is removed, then the only remaining punishment options are deleting the thread and closing it, both of which are more severe (when a thread is closed, at least people in the forum can still see it). Neither of those are nearly as fun as PHing a thread (it doesn't go to the forum with the weird music and strange colors), so I would expect threads to only be closed/deleted when something really gets out of hand or something harmful is done (posting warez).

Fredrik said:

I had a burst last week, but for the most part it's rare that I post.

Fred's posting over the last month:
27th: 4
26th: 9
25th: 5
24th: 15
23rd: 7
22nd: 20
21st: 23
20th: 43
19th: 48
18th: 2
17th: 10
16th: 12
15th: 11
14th: 14
13th: 24
12th: 9
11th: 0
10th: 8
9th: 4
8th: 5
7th: 12
6th: 14
5th: 5
4th: 18
3rd: 20
2nd: 14
1st: 5

"rare"!?

Jonathan said:

Fred's posting over the last month:

"rare"!?

heh. How are my postings over the last month?

Shaviro said:

heh. How are my postings over tha last month?

heh, I don't know, I got Fred's by doing a quick count from the "display all posts by this user" on his profile. Maybe someone could hack in a statistics function to vbulletin?

Jonathan said:

heh, I don't know, I got Fred's by doing a quick count from the "display all posts by this user" on his profile. Maybe someone could hack in a statistics function to vbulletin?

Maybe someone 'should'.

I rather like post hell, and would be sad to see it go. When I first hit the forums, I browsed around there and quickly learned what questions have already been asked. Plus it's just damn fun to read some of the stuff in there.

However, I think someone should be told why their thread was helled, so they dont make the same mistake again, and to reduce the chances of hard feelings. To use the arch-vile thread again as an example, the guy's question could have at least been answered, with an attached message letting him know why the thread was being tossed.

I wouldn't have sent that Arch-Vile thread to Hell because it's likely that he genuinely did not know what an Arch-Vile was. Yes, I know he could have searched the internet, but for all we know, he probably did, but didn't get the information he wanted. Now, if it was someone like....points a finger at a crowd, and everyone quickly runs away, leaving an unsuspecting Fredrik behind....Fredrik here were to make a thread asking what an Arch-Vile was, we all would know that he was joking, and it would most likely end up in Hell within the hour.

Ichor said:

Now, if it was someone like....points a finger at a crowd, and everyone quickly runs away, leaving an unsuspecting Fredrik behind....Fredrik here were to make a thread asking what an Arch-Vile was, we all would know that he was joking, and it would most likely end up in Hell within the hour.

Yes, please rescue us from the thread that's not a serious, intelligent discussion. If it's not PH'd, someone might wander in there and die.

</sarcasm>

Jonathan said:

Maybe someone could hack in a statistics function to vbulletin?

I've wanted one for ages... damnit. I want a graph of my spamming career, complete with the mountain peaks of late December 2001.

Ichor said:

You mean threads like this?

a). Fuckers like that are only looking for attention. He probably WANTS you to PH his thread (thus giving him attention), otherwise why would he put so much time and effort into something so stupid.
b). If anyone really wants to avoid stupid threads, I think they can look at the title of that thread ("Fuck!"), and look at the thread starter ("Fucker"), and PRETTY MUCH figure out it's going to be a stupid thread, and thus one to avoid.

(btw, b). will discourage people in a).)

Fredrik said:

I've wanted one for ages... damnit. I want a graph of my spamming career, complete with the mountain peaks of late December 2001.

That is both funny and very, very sad :P

Carnevil said:

That is both funny and very, very sad :P

That's true. I just checked the post history, and indeed, I averaged at about 100 posts/day for some time there. The lameness of those posts is just scary o_O

I remember RECTUMBOY666 and appendixdude (probably the same guy, but then again maybe not) from a few months ago. The came here and started causing all sorts of trouble, and with no moderators around at the time (I wasn't sure about how to ban people back then), there was no way to stop them. For several hours, they spammed and spammed and spammed some more until finally an administrator came along and cleaned up the mess.

The point is that it's better deal with people like that by quickly sending those threads to Hell and then getting rid of the idiots (even though that's what they want), instead of allowing them run wild and dump all kinds of garbage on the forums.

Ok. how about this. Let's say that a thread is sent to Post Hell that does not necessarily belong there. Mods have the power to ressurect threads, do they not? Well, if there is enough justification for a thread to be revived from a premature death, why not do so? Just a suggestion.