Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gokuma

I want v1.2!

I started with Ultimate Doom and I've gotten ahold of the full v1.666 years ago. I got v1.1 by using the downgrade patch on UD and then normal 1.9 by using an update patch on that. But ever since I started messing with editors over 7 years ago, I've wanted full v1.2. I'm still curious how older dehackeds that support it handle it and its extra projectiles. And there's the occasional patch I can't use otherwise.

If someone can help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it. If someone actually has historic upgrade patches, like v1.1-to-1.2 (v1.4 or 1.8 might also be cool) or can make one with the utility used to make the UDto1.9 downgrade patch that would be really cool. Here and on 3D archives, all the patches are for updating to 1.9 from any version, except for that one downgrade patch.

(Note to mods: this isn't ware begging because it's actually patch begging and I already own the full version anyway).

I've got the 1.4 shareware exe if you want that. No full version though, sorry.

I have both a registered 1.1 and 1.2 sitting on the shelf here, and from memory (can't be bothered actually installing and checking) as far as WAD contents go, 1.1 and 1.2 are very similar. I *think* 1.2 still has a few odd graphics that never actually made it into the game (2 fireball types IIRC) but they were in 1.1 too. I think a couple of the extra graphics that were in 1.1 may have been cleaned out from the 1.2 ver but I don't think there was anything in 1.2 lump wise that wasn't in 1.1.

As far as the exe behaviour goes, I remember with at least one early version sometimes getting stuck. If you were turning, and took your finger off the turn key, you would occasionally continue to turn until you hit the key again. Can't actually remember which version that was though.

i played 1.1 shareware a while back and i noticed it didn't have all the secrets that i was accustomed to having when growing up with 1.2 shareware.

Sweet, I finally have v1.2 full. Basically all the functionality of v1.666 through Ultimate with good old random pitch sounds and enemies much more likely to infight or claw their own dumb selves to death.

Thanks very much Grazza. You freaking rule!

Linguica or Mordeth, I seriously recommend adding that registered1.1to1.2 patch to Doomworld's patch archives.

If anyone wants various shareware versions, they're all available in the historic directory of 3darchives. Someone should probably submit or add the patch to there as well.

Now to try out Dehacked with v1.2. I think DHE v2.4 was the last version to support Doom v1.2 (If anyone wants older DHE's, they're on the links page of my site).

Wow...

Much Better.

Heh, I thought I'd see what DHEv1.3 looks like. I couldn't find an ini file for 2.4 so I used 2.3's. Below is a patch made with v2.4 (even though it says 2.3 in the patch) to change caco fire, baron fire, plasma, and the bfg ball into the unused projectiles.

Patch File for DeHackEd v2.3

# Note: Use the pound sign ('#') to start comment lines.

Doom version = 12
Patch format = 5

Text 4 4
BAL2BAL3

Text 4 4
BAL7BAL4

Text 4 4
PLSSBAL6

Text 4 4
BFS1BAL5

What version of doom had the pink BFG blast? XD, i was kinda dissapointed when i got the PS version, and was like "What? its green!"

Gokuma said:

Heh, I thought I'd see what DHEv1.3 looks like. I couldn't find an ini file for 2.4 so I used 2.3's. Below is a patch made with v2.4 (even though it says 2.3 in the patch) to change caco fire, baron fire, plasma, and the bfg ball into the unused projectiles.

I always thought that 1.3 was the latest version. In which case, where can I get v2.3 from? (as long as it's freeware of course)

edit: damn, I got the numbers the wrong way round.

/me wishes the delete post function was turned on...

Ultimate DooMer said:

I always thought that 1.3 was the latest version. In which case, where can I get v2.3 from? (as long as it's freeware of course)

heh, you thought 1.3 was newest? i'm using 3.1 myself.

I generally just use DHEv3.0a. If I go to mess around with Final Doom I would use v3.1. And for Doom v1.2 or a certain version of Doom 2 v1.666, I have to use DHEv2.4 or older. You can find all your Dehacked needs or links to them here.

deathbringer said:

What version of doom had the pink BFG blast? XD, i was kinda dissapointed when i got the PS version, and was like "What? its green!"

eh??

I never heard of a pink BFG. The press-release pre-beta BFG shot a mix of red and green balls.

I thought of something potentially hilarious involving Dehacked v1.3. Win XP/2000/Me may actually be capable of handling this one (since these hi-tech dos gfx are too much to handle).

Here's what you need to see for yourself.
1. Ultimate Doom
2. Patch to downgrade Ultimate Doom to normal full version 1.1 (Thanks to Lee Killough and Rich Brennan)
3. Patch to upgrade full Doom 1.1 to 1.2 (Thanks Grazza)
4. Dehacked v1.3

Don't try applying that patch I posted before since Dehacked v1.3 doesn't support the newer text format deh patches though.

I remember when my friend had doom when it first came out (oh his 486 XD, teh ultimat computar!!!1), and the BFG blast was pink, i dunno what version it was or anything, but it was a shareware version of some kind

actually the latest versions of dehacked run perfectly fine for me in win2k, though I need to fullscreen it because it's horribly slow in a window.

most of the time I only use it for looking up frames anyways since opening a patch with bex specific stuff gets erased by dehacked so I need to edit it all by hand heh

You probably already know this Cyb, but (with Zdoom at least, maybe others) you can use the include instruction in a DEH patch to include a second patch with the first one. That way it is possible to do all your pure dehacked stuff using dehacked and save it in one file, and "include" a second file of BEX kind of stuff. Once you have got everything modified to how you want it, you can then copy and paste things into one patch and stick it in the WAD.

Doom v1.2 (opposed to later versions)
Here's stuff I noticed of which only some of it is mentioned in the Official Doom FAQ.

Good:
Monster infighting and self attack more likely to happen
Max armor = infinite (I put blue armor and over a thousand armor bonuses in a map and had 1344 armor after collecting them all, only displays last three digits though)
Random pitch sounds
Lost Souls count for kill %
Unused sprites in doom.wad (bal3, bal4, bal5, bal6, pbul pshe)

Bad:
No altdeath/DeathMatch2.0 (no respawning items)
No pdiehi sound
Fewer secrets in levels
No -fast (but Nightmare still has fast monsters)
Max health = 199
Doesn't support Sound Blaster AWE32's midi properly.
No idmus## code
No idfa (only idkfa)
-devparm required with -warp and -record

Why 1.2 is better than 1.1:
Runs under Windows
All around more functional
Has nightmare mode
Has -respawn
Has a few more secrets
Can use Dehacked (v2.4 or older) on it
Has multiple levels of gamma correction

Blast! my post didn't get through.
Kay, here we go again...

Kay, say I want to degrade to 1.1 so I can take a looksie at what its like, would I be able to play it in a soure port without the source port "fixing" it? I want it bugtastic as much as it can be. :D Seeing I can't run dos cause I dunno how to since I got XP I am limited to the Source of the Ports. Thanks. :D

Source ports are only designed to work with v1.9 wads so I don't know if any will work with older versions and even they do, you're just going to be playing older versions of levels. The different behavior in the older exe (different armor/health limits, random pitch sounds except for ports that have it as option, more likely infighting and monsters clawing themselves to death) definately won't be there.

Also, you're mistaken if you're trying to run v1.1 in any windows. It doesn't work in Win 95 or Win 98 either, only in dos.

Here's a dehacked patch to attempt to emulate some v1.1 or 1.2 behavior:

Patch File for DeHackEd v3.0

# Note: Use the pound sign ('#') to start comment lines.

Doom version = 19
Patch format = 6

Thing 19 (Lost Soul)
Bits = 4211206

Misc 0
Max Health = 199
Max Armor = 9999
Max Soulsphere = 199
Megasphere Health = 199
Monsters Infight = 221
It works fine with ZDoom, but not Legacy or PrBoom. Those two ports ignore the infighting setting and with these changes allow stim packs and medikits to take you to 199 health. Legacy and PrBoom both (maybe EDGE/DosDoom too) have an option for random pitch sounds but it doesn't seem to work in PrBoom.

Gokuma said:

Source ports are only designed to work with v1.9 wads so I don't know if any will work with older versions and even they do, you're just going to be playing older versions of levels. The different behavior in the older exe (different armor/health limits, random pitch sounds except for ports that have it as option, more likely infighting and monsters clawing themselves to death) definately won't be there.

Also, you're mistaken if you're trying to run v1.1 in any windows. It doesn't work in Win 95 or Win 98 either, only in dos.

heh, dang. In that case, I'll use my brother's computer, he has dos thats easy to run. :D
Thanks for the up of heads. :D

Gokuma said:

Here's stuff I noticed of which only some of it is mentioned in the Official Doom FAQ.

Good:
blah

Bad:
blah blah

Don't think you mentioned it, but I don't think the DSGETPOW was in 1.2. So I guess if you like that sound, it's a bad point for 1.2.

I'm also trying to remember... didn't there used to be a -wart parameter that was basically the same as -warp ?

Gokuma said:

Versions 1.0 and 1.1 do work on Windows 98 if you boot to full (Windows 98) DOS.

I just updated my site with a zip full of files like levels to show some stuff and demos of monsters clawing and biting themselves to death or committing assisted suicide. (EDIT: updated wad with another level and added a weird sargent suicide attempt demo in zip)

Enjay said something.

You're right. I just added that to a text file. -wart still works in newer Dooms and tries to load a wad from some weird directory on f: drive.

Myk said something.

I know but that's DOS outside of any windows even if technically comes as part of Win 95/98. But I see what you mean since with Win XP you can't boot to dos like that.

heh, what's a random pitch sound? i remember playing doom with odd sounds like cacodemon dying, it gives a horrific laugh..

CyRaptor said:

I've got the 1.4 shareware exe if you want that. No full version though, sorry.

There was never a full v1.4. Versions 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6 were interim public beta shareware releases, targeting the new sound code testing ... IIRC.

The full registered versions were: v1.0, v1.1, v1.2, v1.666 and v1.9. Note that "v1.0" is the de-facto name for the very first "DOOM Operating System v0.99" release. Also, there are two versions of 1.9, the latter one is Ultimate DOOM.

Shareware packages of all of the above, except Ultimate DOOM, can be downloaded from any DOOM FTP, from \idgames\historic. Curiously enough, v1.3 cannot as it never existed, not even as a beta shareware. As it happens, just as the hoopla preceding v1.2 release started to subside a bogus v1.3 - just a hacked and extremely buggy v1.2 exec - popped up on the 'net. Presumably to cut down on general confusion, id decided to skip the number and their next release was v1.4.

Together with the fact that there are three different, mutually incompatible (demo-wise) executables that go under the v1.9 nym, namely for:
1) the registered DOOM/DOOM][
2) Ultimate DOOM
3) Final DOOM
you can't help wondering how good id really were with numbers =).

Gokuma said:

But ever since I started messing with editors over 7 years ago, I've wanted full v1.2. I'm still curious how older dehackeds that support it handle it and its extra projectiles. And there's the occasional patch I can't use otherwise.

Ha! And I thought I was the only one disturbed so severely <g>.

The reason *I* wanted v1.2 was the demo support. Nothing else will play back v1.2 demos correctly, and there were a few I wanted to watch ...

Gokuma said:

If someone actually has historic upgrade patches, like v1.1-to-1.2 (v1.4 or 1.8 might also be cool)

You can do a search for those on an FTP search engine like AllTheWeb.

Enjay said:

As far as the exe behaviour goes, I remember with at least one early version sometimes getting stuck. If you were turning, and took your finger off the turn key, you would occasionally continue to turn until you hit the key again. Can't actually remember which version that was though.

That's the infamous PS2 Mouse Bug that affected versions 0.99 and 1.1. v1.1 also had some savegame issues - buttons, lifts and crushers would often stop working after a restore.

sargebaldy said:

i played 1.1 shareware a while back and i noticed it didn't have all the secrets that i was accustomed to having when growing up with 1.2 shareware.

There was only one secret added to v1.2 that was not in v1.1 - the sniping spot in the zigzag room with acid on E1M1. Purely for DM purporses, AFAIK.

Grazza said:

This information was provided by Never_Again in the text accompanying his v1.2 demos for UAC_DEAD.

Nice to see there are still ppl out there who know what giving props means. Thank you Grazza.

Gokuma said:

Oh no! Another v1.2 maniac??!

Gokuma said:

Good:[/b]
<list of goodies removed from later versions toasted>

Absolutely. I didn't notice monstroes fight between themselves any more than in other versions, but the armor and pitch shifting certainly rule. In fact, those pitched sound make DOOM a lot more eerie. Damn, why did they have to remove it?

Gokuma said:

Bad:[/b]
<another list toasted>

Agree about AltDeath and -fast. The secrets difference is negligible (see one of my previous posts), while it's arguable whether max 199 health is a drawback =).

v1.2's only downside is its demo support. It doesn't allow for tally screens at the end of demos. You can't record or play back multi-level demos (movies in Compet-N-speak) either. Last, there is a curious mouse bug that only rears its head when recording: you turn right a lot faster than left. Something you can get used to, but definitely a bitch.

Gokuma said:

Why 1.2 is better than 1.1:
Runs under Windows[/b]
<snip>

Heh. Try Windows 2000. Runs both v0.99 and v1.1. No more of that "R_Init: Init DOOM refresh daemon...Z_ChangeTag: an owner is required for purgable blocks" crap.

Wow. You just made my day man. Thank you for a great post.

deathbringer said:

I remember when my friend had doom when it first came out (oh his 486 XD, teh ultimat computar!!!1)

When DOOM came out, a 486DX-66 was the ultimate rig. Of course, there were a Pentium and Alphas, for those really rich/sick ... =)

Enjay said:

Don't think you mentioned it, but I don't think the DSGETPOW was in 1.2. So I guess if you like that sound, it's a bad point for 1.2.

In fact, DSGETPOW (the gong-like sound for power-up pickups) was added in v1.2. Earlier versions made do with DSITEMUP.

-wart still works in newer Dooms and tries to load a wad from some weird directory on f: drive.

Gokuma said:

I know but that's DOS outside of any windows even if technically comes as part of Win 95/98. But I see what you mean since with Win XP you can't boot to dos like that.

Neither with Win2000. However, Win2000 (unlike Win9x) offers multi-booting.

Glad you appreciate it, Never Again (Quick tip: make one big post and edit it later if necessary and no one has replied yet. Mods consider multiple posts in a row to be spam even if they contain some good info).

Also, there were some demos I wanted to watch in v1.2 as well.

When for searching for files, it helps to know the filenames. I was looking for the 1.2to1.666 patch (although I personally already have 1.666). I couldn't guess its filename but I found it here (dm1666rp.zip) by searching the 1.1to1.2 patch's filename and found it with it. This now means that patches to convert to any different registered version are easily and publicly available for anyone (except for the full 0.99/1.0 and 1.8 which I can't think of any use for other than just for the sake of collecting).

Now that just leaves Doom 2. If you have 1.666 you have to go through the other versions (1.7, 1.7a) to get to 1.9 by applying multiple patches. There are some noticable changes (bars removed near beginning of map02, wall that was invisible on one side fixed in map18). Would anyone be interested in a Doom 2 v1.9to1.666 downgrade patch?

Never_Again said:
There was never a full v1.4. Versions 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6 were interim public beta shareware releases, targeting the new sound code testing ... IIRC.

The full registered versions were: v1.0, v1.1, v1.2, v1.666 and v1.9. Note that "v1.0" is the de-facto name for the very first "DOOM Operating System v0.99" release. Also, there are two versions of 1.9, the latter one is Ultimate DOOM.

And there's also v1.8.

In fact, DSGETPOW (the gong-like sound for power-up pickups) was added in v1.2. Earlier versions made do with DSITEMUP.

Actually, not even v1.6 beta has it, only v1.666 and on.

Versions 1.0 and 1.1 do work on Windows 98 if you boot to full (Windows 98) DOS.

-myk

Where the hell did you get 1.0!!! I want!