Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom-Child

broadband ownz0rz

Ahhhh DSL. My own private inlet to the vast sea of mass stupidity and animal pr0n. All that and I get email too. Muahahahahaah.

DC

That would necessitate my joining the mass stupidity of posting everything that happens in my life onto the 'Net.

Tuesday, May 27
Today I took a really big crap. I swear, my ass hurt for a good ten minutes afterwards. Then I went and got some popcorn.

In other news, fuck you.

DC

Doom-Child said:

That would necessitate my joining the mass stupidity of posting everything that happens in my life onto the 'Net.

Tuesday, May 27
Today I took a really big crap. I swear, my ass hurt for a good ten minutes afterwards. Then I went and got some popcorn.

In other news, fuck you.

DC

Tuesday, May 27
Ahhhh DSL. My own private inlet to the vast sea of mass stupidity and animal pr0n. All that and I get email too. Muahahahahaah.

Animal pr0n is good. Broadband is also good depending on where you live.

My experience of DSL is really shoddy. At best, no where near what it should be - at worst, well, at worst while still working, so slow it would be quicker to ring my brother, give him a list of usenet posts to download, and have him post them to me on a CD.

All hail cable!

DC

Never used DSL, but capped DSL sounds like the worst idea in the world. My friend has it, and he can only get online for like 2 hours a day.

Why doesn't talk anybody about actual speeds? Cable != Cable, DSL != DSL. I mean, my cable is pretty fast (2mbit down, 512kbit/up), but it's still pretty slow compared to arioch's old cable :P

Linguica said:

http://www.doomworld.com/linguica/burnside.jpg

ROFL. Best. Image. Ever.

My old cable connection was uncapped down at 10Mbit and capped upload at 1Mbit or so.

My current connection is line-of-sight wireless at 384Kbit/s up/down, with burst speeds of 2.5Mbit/s. And the speed I get actually match the speed I paid for.

I'm currently on 512kbps down and 128kbps up cable. It's easily fast enough for my needs but if Airraid or ZarcyB gets 2mbit I might be forced into switching :P

Don't worry. Blueyonder's 2Mbit service is pricey at £50/month, considering it's only 2mbit down/256k up. Their 1 Mbit service is 1mbit down/256k up. It's a bit too much to pay for only half an upgrade, so I won't be getting 2mbit anytime soon. 1Mbit is well worth the extra though.

AirRaid said:

Don't worry. Blueyonder's 2Mbit service is pricey at £50/month, considering it's only 2mbit down/256k up. Their 1 Mbit service is 1mbit down/256k up. It's a bit too much to pay for only half an upgrade, so I won't be getting 2mbit anytime soon. 1Mbit is well worth the extra though.

Word. I don't think 2mbit is worth it really.

BBG said:

ROFL. Best. Image. Ever.

I agree. That's bookmarked for future use fo' shizzle!

SlowMotionHobo said:

No Broadband available here.

Not here either, yet. Pretty soon is all I hear....

ravage said:

Broadband is also good depending on where you live.

I have a massive loop distance, so my DSL is only about half the speed of it's norm. It's still better than 56k though.

I'm on cable, 10Mbps down / 256Kbps up. According to my ISP's angry letters, in the past thirty days I've downloaded 22 gigs worth of stupid shit.

Hm. I was on blueyonder's 1Mbps service for a few months and I enjoyed it a lot- at the time I didn't feel that the improvement made much of an impact on my usage (I wouldn't sit around to watch 700mb download at 512Kbps, so why should I sit around for half the time?) but afterwards I missed it.

I'm looking forward to being back on my universities net connection, which was 1MBps (notice the capital B)

sargebaldy said:

I am on cable, but I never really tested it. According to the test I am getting:

Your download speed : 1656529 bps, or 1656 kbps. A 202.2 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 77805 bps, or 77 kbps.

Download seems pretty good. Pretty low on the upload, but I don't upload much anyway.

I should add, I only pay $40 a month for my service here in Waco (Texas, USA). In Dallas, cable internet was $70 a month, which was a bit too much. $40 seems to be a reasonable price.

Your download speed : 693281 bps, or 693 kbps.
A 84.6 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 53944 bps, or 53 kbps.
Your upstream result was very slow! .. not good

Huh...my download speed is higher than their 'Rocks' category, yet upload is in the 56k range. Interesting because in Kazaa, all my downloads are at like 20kb/s and my uploads are at about 5.5k/s on average, and that holds to what they are saying pretty much. Yet on Soulseek, both uploads and downloads average at about 10kb/s. So I dunno. The only things I had running that use my connection are IE, AIM, and Progress Quest. I don't think even the combination of the three would have slowed it down that much, and only one way. Eh...

the_Danarchist said:

Your download speed : 693281 bps, or 693 kbps.
A 84.6 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 53944 bps, or 53 kbps.
Your upstream result was very slow! .. not good

Huh...my download speed is higher than their 'Rocks' category, yet upload is in the 56k range. Interesting because in Kazaa, all my downloads are at like 20kb/s and my uploads are at about 5.5k/s on average, and that holds to what they are saying pretty much. Yet on Soulseek, both uploads and downloads average at about 10kb/s. So I dunno. The only things I had running that use my connection are IE, AIM, and Progress Quest. I don't think even the combination of the three would have slowed it down that much, and only one way. Eh...

Download Speed: 1733 Mbit/second
Upload Speed: 225 Kbit/second

AFAIK That's thanks to the connections that are made with each fileswapping service. You'll rarely achieve your maximum bandwidth with these because of the overhead that is present in the connection. Neither of those three will have any real impact on those services.

I think I'm going to get some Speakeasy.Net DSL whence I move. They now have 3Mbit/768kbit and also 1.1Mbit/1.1Mbit (sdsl) packages available. It's all about the upload speed when running game servers and other server type stuff.

MancuNET will live long and prosper!