Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
insertwackynamehere

Strife/Heretic Problem

I have downloaded recently Heretic and Strife shareware, from Doomworld, and can get them to run, but not well. What happens is, is that I'm playing, and moving along smoothly, when suddenly that graphics become jerkier and it takes me like 5 seconds for one step, and after a minute of that, it's smooth again, just to repeat. I am running an XP, and I have enough memory and graphics power to run a game from that long ago, I'm just wondering if it's too long ago and if that's the problem.

Uh, heh, think about this. Doom2.exe (for most cases) won't run well in XP, so why would Heretic or Strife, which both use modified Doom engines? In other words, DOS games will NOT WORK (in most case) in XP.

sourceports usually support shareware. One of the sourceports supports strife, i forget which.

Vavoom claims Strife support, but all you can really do is load the levels up and walk around. You can't progress anywhere.

I don't know if it was ever even released for that matter.

Heh, it was OK, it just didn't reach out and grab me the way Doom or Quake shareware did when I first played them years ago.

DooMBoy said:

Heh, it was OK, it just didn't reach out and grab me the way Doom or Quake shareware did when I first played them years ago.

It didn't even come close at all.

Shaviro said:

I remember playing Strife for 5 minutes, then quit never to play it again.

heh yeah, same here. there were some interesting ideas in it as i recall, like stores, but it really wasn't very fun to play. although support for it in a port could be interesting indeed if the source code for is actually released.

sargebaldy said:

heh yeah, same here. there were some interesting ideas in it as i recall, like stores, but it really wasn't very fun to play. although support for it in a port could be interesting indeed if the source code for is actually released.

Don't forget the uglyness of it.

I played deathmatch with my brother one afternoon. The poison tip arrows were kind of fun. Single player never did much for me though.

For heretic use the doomsday engine (jheretic), and as for strife - don't bother it's cack.