Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gatewatcher

Gloves and Helmet?

I don't think id's going to add gloves after all. And now, I'm not so certain they'll be including the helmet.

I don't know, I think the helmet is essential to Doomguy's appearance. I wasn't so fond of the helmet in shaky cam(tm), but at least it was there.

Any thoughts?

Yeah they're gonna ditch the helmet so you can see all those faces the doom guy is making while getting ambushed or running out of ammo in front of chiansaw zombies. bleh.

the gloves woulda been cool, too. ;(
I'm still on the lookout for a pair like in the Doom games.

I´ll be happy when they really leave out the helmet, because the classic Doom helmet looks just retarded combined with the rest of the battle dress...

The gloves were cool though.

i don't think they should take the helmet off. it was fun to imagine what the doom marine looked like under there, until i played episode 4 of doom1 and saw the ending...

i never thought of the status bar as his face for some reason. he looks totally different in the episode 4 ending.

I think it sucks that they left the gloves out. Bigtime. I mean, why did they leave out such a cool thing after all? So that they have a chance to show off how damn good the D3 engine is at rendering bare hands?

I'm not too happy about the prospect of them leaving out the helmet either, though I have a feeling that it won't be left out - they won't scrap the cutscenes they've already made and he was wearing a helmet in those in the E3 2002 demo.

Also, it didn't seem like it was just the classic helmet he was wearing in this demo. I never got a clear pic of it, but it definitely didn't look like the original or the Q3A one. It was more round and the visor seemed totally different.

he looks totally different in the episode 4 ending.

Errr no, his face is the same (but with a different expression), his hair is different (but cooler if it just had the same colour as the stat bar face)

mawcor624 said:

i don't think they should take the helmet off. it was fun to imagine what the doom marine looked like under there, until i played episode 4 of doom1 and saw the ending...

Doomguy was sure...obese...for a marine. I never liked that shot of him. :-(

EDIT: I always pictured him with the status bar face, which is way cooler.

dsm said:

I'm not too happy about the prospect of them leaving out the helmet either, though I have a feeling that it won't be left out - they won't scrap the cutscenes they've already made and he was wearing a helmet in those in the E3 2002 demo.

Thank Newdoom for this screen;

[That pic is not an officially released D3 screenie, hence it is not allowed here]

I like the old version of the helmet better myself. This, although more realistic, just looks funny. Heh.

I quite like the e3 doomguy helmet. I hope it does make a return.

As for the gloves subject, i feel there should be something on those hands, maybe a wristband or something.

Hopefully they'll leave the gloves in. I'm not sure about the helmet though. I'm not sure what to think of it. But I wasn't too happy with some of the facial animations in the latest trailer so he might want to have a helmet on.

Speaking of getting naughty, am i allowed to use that doom3 doomguy helmet now? (you know which one i'm talking about, the one shown in the toilet scene)

gatewatcher said:

So what's the deal, Newdoom is posting illegal screens? O_o

Newdoom is not DW and here on DW, Alpha screenies are a no-no, no matter WHERE you get them from. Cope.

I will say though that I quite like the new helmet - it looks more authentic and more like a military combat helmet. I want it to be there in the final.

dsm said:

Newdoom is not DW and here on DW, Alpha screenies are a no-no, no matter WHERE you get them from. Cope.

Well that pretty much answers my question.

YAY! 800 posts!

Gloves may appear when you wear battle suit, or environmental one.

Btw the 1st person view also can be changed during these changings. I would prefer to see glass effect on helmet while being outside, on the planet scape.

Yeah me 2 likes the new helmet - it is looks more military now.

wasted said:

Gloves may appear when you wear battle suit, or environmental one.

They might be there in combination with the suit, but it isn't really the same thing. The cool thing about the old Doomguy was that he had bare arms, but gloves to put in some sort of contrast in style.

dsm said:

though I have a feeling that it won't be left out - they won't scrap the cutscenes they've already made and he was wearing a helmet in those in the E3 2002 demo.

Well, the cut-scenes aren't pre-rendered, so the could just update the player model with no helmet, and everything would still work...

The new helmet looks completely different to the old one to me.

AirRaid said:

The new helmet looks completely different to the old one to me.

Yeah and that's good imo. The old one had its flaws and seemed less like a military combat helmet. I like the new one as it is.

Oh yeah and that illegal screenie, having been taken from the Alpha isn't full-blown quality. It seems to me that there are some details missing here and there.
I would wait before I'd judge the helmet until I see the final version.

Well, the cut-scenes aren't pre-rendered, so the could just update the player model with no helmet, and everything would still work...

Unfortunately, there's one fundamental flaw that couldn't be fixed as easily: The cutscene where the doomguy comes down the elevator and looks around. In that scene, we see him put on his helmet. Remove the helmet and we'd see a ridiculous motion of him trying to pull empty air over his head as if he was holding a helmet in his hands.

I don't think they would drop that scene just to show his face in later sequences.

I was going to mention that scene but you beat me to it. I doubt they'll leave the helmet out. Sure he'll take it off somewhere, they want to show off, and I don't blame them. But the helmet will be in, as I see it. I'd like him to be wearing gloves too, but who knows.

The original helmet is a MUST-BE-IN-THE-GAME!!!!!!!!!
The gloves, those beautiful gloves, almost magical the way they were there when you selected a gun, and they dissapeared when you'd use the fist....

I think that accounts for the slight delay as the fist comes out, he's taking the gloves off so he can get a real feel for the ass-beating he's about to dish out.

Yeah he's wearing knuckles, you can't use them well with gloves on.

Hey, Isn't it possible that, there is a cutscene where you are entering a fiery hot environment and you (doomguy) takes his helmet off because of the heat, wipes his brow and carries on. Then later he may put the helmet back on if going outside or wherever. This way they get to show off both head and helmet because both are pretty damn cool.

And if we go one step further, who is to say this isn't true for the gloves also, he may put them on for the plasma gun or whatever. But I must say, brown leather gloves holding a shotgun look pretty damn good.

I generally don´t like the combination of a full, closed helmet (with visor and everything) and light battle dress with free arms. A helmet would be OK if the Doomguy would wear full combat armor like a Warhammer 40k Spacemarine, but since he wears just light armor such a big helmet doesn´t fit really.

I liked the smaller Starship Troopers style helmet the marine character from the early Doom3 Mac demo was wearing. A helmet like that would go well together with the rest of the dress. But that Jet pilot style helmet seen in the E3 leaked video just looks strange IMO.

I can see that... or they could actually give him heavy combat armor or at least a full suit. I must admit, a full helmet and having bare arms is kinda weird... but which of us hasn't worn shorts with a long sleeved shirt at one point or another?

If he is on mars, doesn't he need the helmet and a full armor space suit to breath. Its Mars--No Oxygen! Unless he's just some super-human who doesn't ahve to breath he needs the helmet and suit, atleast when he outside. Its possible to have something inside to give them oxygen so they don't need the helmet and armor suit, but when he is outside a building on Mars he must have the helmet to breath. So unless Id are dumbasses, which they don't seem like it, they will give him a helmet. About the gloves, they are a must.