Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jeremy

Music- Trents a quitter

My new rising concern for Doom3 is music. Now that NIN and their infamouse Trent Reznor decided that making a new cd is more important than making music for Doom3. So, is it clerified who is doing the music for Doom3?? Maybe Bobby Prince.. lol.

Well, and my other concern is.. Cacodemon? Arch-Vile? Mancubas? Cyber-Demon??

I will say this once, and (probably) won't repeat it.

I don't care for music in FPS games. I prefer to let the sounds of the atmosphere be the only sounds. It's more immersive for me that way. I played through Half-Life, Quake and Quake 2 without ever hearing the music. Only FPses where I enjoy the music are UT and Q3A, because they're better with some background to set the pace.

I'll probably turn the music off in Doom3.

I think (hope) its bullshit. Trent never quit any other project that I know of. Tapeworm's been in his list of project for 5 years and he's still working on it. He's a perfectionist. If anything he'd delay the game because of it, not ditch it all together. The fragile took 5 years to come out. In between that time he did several songs/singles, remix albumns, Lost Highway, Natural Born Killers, and Quake. If he can do all of that why not DooM? Also, nin hotline never released a source so i think its bullshit. And its not just the music its the sound effects as well. I thought the ones from the alpha and preious vids rocked over this one. Don't go Trent, don't go!

AirRaid said:

I prefer to let the sounds of the atmosphere be the only sounds. It's more immersive for me that way.

I do it the same way, but since Trent Reznor did some fantastic sound work for Doom3, it´s really a shame that he quit. Not because of the music, but because of the sound. The sounds I could hear on the leaked demo video from the previous E3 were just excellent.

Yes the original source was a little sketchy, but it was posted all over the place and you'd think if it was bullshit somebody would have updated their .plan or something saying so.

Jonathan said:

Yes the original source was a little sketchy, but it was posted all over the place and you'd think if it was bullshit somebody would have updated their .plan or something saying so.

Was it even in a .plan anyway? Unless i'm missing something "all over the place" was just quotes from and/or statements regarding the nin hotline headline. If you take bullshit (hypothetically) and spread it around its still bullshit right? id does not and shouldn't even be expected to let everyone in on every detail of development anyway, so chances are that's why you didn't and won't see it in a .plan file. Maybe its just my wishful thinking. but until it is confirmed (And by confirmation i mean by id, Trent, or someone else's name being in the credit on the final game) I'm taking it as rumor.

Well, the new sounds in the recent E3 movie which obviously replace Trent´s sounds make me believe that it isn´t just a rumour, unfortunately.

Tetzlaff said:

Well, the new sounds in the recent E3 movie which obviously replace Trent´s sounds make me believe that it isn´t just a rumour, unfortunately.

Gregorian chanting, typical hollywood action techno beats... *gasp*

*retreats to corner and weeps softly*

Dammit, I know i just am clinging to that fragile(; P) hope.

Tetzlaff said:

I think the sounds sound almost exactly like the alpha sounds. I think it's just whatever way they transferred the actual game audio output to quicktime fucked it over.

Furthermore, according to the ninhotline site, the last piece of reliable information on the Doom 3 audio was from august of last year, QuakeCon 2002. Linky linky.

Until further notice, I'm going to continue to assume that Trent Reznor is still working on audio for Doom 3.

Arioch said:

I think the sounds sound almost exactly like the alpha sounds. I think it's just whatever way they transferred the actual game audio output to quicktime fucked it over.

Thank you all observing restorer of hopes! ; )

in the E3 2002 version the sounds were the only things that impressed me at all. with the exception of those incredibly cheesy lines the zombies used... "i smell fear" ... roofles

I don't give a shit about Reznor supposedly not doing the music, what upsets me is that his work on the sounds might not be in the final game.

I hope it's bs that he should be quitting the Doom 3 project, but everyone says the sounds in the E3 trailer aren't the same as in the Alpha and that they're not as cool as the ones in the Alpha.

Then there was iD asking for a new sound guy a while ago.

I have to admit that this all sounds very strange. I hope the end result will be kickass neyond our dreams and I hope Reznor is still doing those sounds. Then I don't care who does the music as long as the little music that's gonna be in Doom 3 doesn't piss me off.

dsm said:

I hope it's bs that he should be quitting the Doom 3 project, but everyone says the sounds in the E3 trailer aren't the same as in the Alpha and that they're not as cool as the ones in the Alpha.

The sound and music I heard in the trailer was much cooler than the alpha. The music is perfect for the game, I think and the sounds seemed very fitting too, especially the screams. If this ia all true, there is a chance that Bobby Prince is doing the music. According to PCGamer, id software at first asked Bobby Prince to do the sounds/music, but they couldn't make out a deal. Perhaps they were luckier this time?

Shaviro said:

The sound and music I heard in the trailer was much cooler than the alpha.

So far, you're the only guy who thinks that - at least as far as I've seen.

gatewatcher said:

And to think, everyone was opposed to Trent at this time last year.

I'm still opposed to him. I just think it's too early to celebrate.

gatewatcher said:

And to think, everyone was opposed to Trent at this time last year.

I was only opposed to him doing the music - nothing else.

WTF???

Why bring this up all the time? Its painful to hear these rumours so lets sit tight and just wait for confirmation. Bluntly speaking, the sounds in the trailer were so so so so disappointing.

NIN is definitely out from d3:

check:
http://www.theninhotline.net/

news from
Thursday

Good and Bad news...
Trent Reznor is no longer involved with ID software's Doom3 project. The length of time needed to complete the gaming project has taken longer than expected. Reznor is now working full-time on the next NIN record and word is that recording is going very well. Stay tuned!

To clarify... Trent's music/sound will not be available for release in the retail game or in any further game demos.

theninhotline is only a NIN fansite. The official NIN website is @ nin.com, which afaik, doesn't have any news about Reznor quitting DOOM 3.

BlueSonnet said:

Just curious. Does anyone think sonic mayhem (they did music for Q2 and Q3A) would be ok?

Depends.
For music he might, but I don't think he could do the sound like Trent can.

dsm said:

I was only opposed to him doing the music - nothing else.

Why were you opposed to him doing the music? If you already posted a reason somewhere i must've missed it. I thought there was just going to be ambience anyway, not music like mr. prince did. I wonder if we would find out that he did do the music for the new e3 vid if people who liked it, but didn't want him on the project, would suddenly start noticing things they didn't like about it. Vice versa. I thought it was all right, didnt notice a huge difference in the sounds, but how the music changes to a flat or a sharp or something at the end of the intro sounds a little ripped off from the beginning of Alien 3.

I didn't notice anything wrong with the sound in the new trailer. I didn't play the alpha, but I did watch the leaked video from last years E3. I didn't hear much difference in the sounds, except for the quality because, like Arioch said, it's on different formats. The actual sounds are the same, as far as I can tell... and if there is really a difference, I can't hear it so I don't give a fuck! :P

Scabbed Angel said:

Why were you opposed to him doing the music? If you already posted a reason somewhere i must've missed it. I thought there was just going to be ambience anyway, not music like mr. prince did. I wonder if we would find out that he did do the music for the new e3 vid if people who liked it, but didn't want him on the project, would suddenly start noticing things they didn't like about it. Vice versa. I thought it was all right, didnt notice a huge difference in the sounds, but how the music changes to a flat or a sharp or something at the end of the intro sounds a little ripped off from the beginning of Alien 3.

I was never happy about the music being all ambient, because the original Doom music was never JUST ambient.

Why I was opposed to Trent doing the music: I absolutely hated Quake 1's music which Trent did (because my taste is weird, ok?). My type of Ambient is vastly different from what Trent did in Quake 1, and I was really afraid that we'd get something as monotonous and boring as the music in Quake if Trent did it.

why not just fucking add (and enchance a bit) the old doom music to doom III? the original doom tracks are a part of the doom atmosphere, and i wouldn't be ready without them :( . dudes, just think about having tracks like "shawn's got a shotgun" streaming out of your speakers as you run a dark corridor and mow down enemies after enemies with your trusted good ol' shotgun? just imagine, that song is awesome for situations where you are in hurry for somwhere, or just feelin' running like hell...

Actually, I've thought from the beginning that the original music just won't fit in D3. Yeah, it's the same, but it's also different. It really doesn't need music. I often play the old games with just the sfx on, no music. It'll be even more effective to play like that in D3. Sometimes silence is scarier than anything (but not the whole game). I hope they include some levels with no music/ambience, just the sound of the base running (machines running, stuff like that).

niguel said:

why not just fucking add (and enchance a bit) the old doom music to doom III? the original doom tracks are a part of the doom atmosphere, and i wouldn't be ready without them :( . dudes, just think about having tracks like "shawn's got a shotgun" streaming out of your speakers as you run a dark corridor and mow down enemies after enemies with your trusted good ol' shotgun? just imagine, that song is awesome for situations where you are in hurry for somwhere, or just feelin' running like hell...

The old Doom music doesn't fit with the spooky corridors and frightening Giger'ish monsters of Doom 3, no way.

The key is to do some kickass ambient music (of a kind that doesn't bore you to death), maybe a few action tracks that don't sound like cheap shit - all of which kinda feel like the old music tracks in style, only it's much more evil-sounding and more capable of crawling underneath your skin.