Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Julian

Update on RORs

I digged into my (3-year old) code and found some stuff:

• The sprite clipping system I wrote back in the days is no-good (well it was almost good, heh). I simply threw it away, since I know how to properly clip the sprites. Interestingly enough, it may make the engine a little faster.

• The new collision code provokes demo-desyncs. This was predictable, Quasar confirmed some of my hacks were unreliable in that area. I won't bother to fix it before I got the sprite clipping sorted out.

• I made some testings of my seg clipping algo against carmack's/killough's one. I used Vrack2 and a 24 min long demo in 640x400 on my good old Athlon 650 (yes, I know) : Eternity with old clipping routines gave a framerate of 35.8 and Eternity with ror-compatible clipping routines gave a framerate of 39.4. That's a 10% increase and it makes my day, especially given I still have some room for other optimisations. This could also help in case the new sprite clipping system happens to be slower than the current one
And for your viewing pleasure, I revived an old DM level Jesper Backman created back in the rorDoom's days: look at this big block attached to the ceiling? Well, in fact it's a passage that connects this control room to this storage area. See for yourself.

Of course, no instant teleport trick, no dummy sectors. And if you noclip in the center of the corridor, you don't pass through the floor. Wheeee!

Way to go, now Millennium will take another 3 years to complete :P

Lüt said:

if it's out as soon as 3 years from now, i'll be very happy :)

Lüt said:

np, since there's 997 years until the new millenium anyway. Plenty of time!