Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
revenant_fister

Most atmospheric SP Wads

I recently went to Newdoom.com and the picture of the sky at the top of the screen kinda inspired me, so I'm basically now looking for a wad that's like, cool looking, but seriously moody, you know, with like, a nice, grim, red sky, and cool lighting throughout the level and stuff. Oh, but it has to be kinda playable too.

Anyone recommend any moody SP wads then? I'm playing through Plutonia at the moment- it's fun, but I don't think it LOOKS all that great- not as good as Doom or Doom II. Also the sky is rather dull.

Cheers.

The later stages of TVR! and Alien Vendetta probably fit that description quite well (I'm thinking of maps 22-30 in each, especially the later ones). Also perhaps Underworld (the jDoom one).

heh i could never think of AV as all that atmospheric just because it's so damn populated =P my own recommendation is map02 of the talosian incident. some of the best atmosphere i've seen in doom(2), and it has a very mood-setting orange sky.

Hhhhholy shit... I remember AotW...

Just for the hell of it, I DL'ed it again. Playing that all alone in the dark was... good god, too much. I didn't even play for 10 minutes before I quit like a little pussy. Had my mom come out here to ask me why I'm not in bed yet or something like that, I would have SCREAMED. (She has this thing about coming in here without me hearing until she actually speaks.)

See, I was getting really sucked in... it all felt surreal, like a dream. I had been thinking about dreams, and how in many dreams I am completly powerless... can't run, can't fight... then I'm playing a wad where you start out at about 25% health and with no weapons, closed up in narrow corridors? Shit... instant trip. I got down to where that gray baron was, and I kept seeing him, running back up the stairs, knuckles white on the keys and mouse, holding my breath until I got to the top, then hearing those footsteps again, coming from... nowhere? I'd take a deep breath and run back down to try and get around the baron, but he'd be right at the door waiting for me.

I'm going to bed now. There will probably be fucked up dreams.

Lüt said:

No comment necessary, just play.

* points up one post

See? :)

Some other good ones:

Michael Krause's Darkstar.wad

Equinox.wad (can't stop pimping that one)

Erik Alm's EAeuro2.wad

Sac_bld.wad (Sacrificial in Blood)

Caverns of Darkness (if your computer can run it's customized MBF exe.

Phobia (requires Legacy)

Spike's Underworld episode 1 (I have forgot the file name) (requires JDoom)

Chris Lutz' Phobos: Anomaly Reborn

Chris Lutz' Inferno (Inf_lutz.wad)

Heh, I'll take this opportunity to pimp dr1-full.wad which should be available within the next month. I'm hoping it's gonna rate high in the atmosphere stakes. :)

Russell_P said:

Heh, I'll take this opportunity to pimp dr1-full.wad which should be available within the next month. I'm hoping it's gonna rate high in the atmosphere stakes. :)

heh, yeah i'm hoping wtc911's sequel PMS does as well :) although i haven't really touched it in 4 months =P

I played Asylum of the Wretched, and it is very atmospheric stuff. Very cool. However, I have one question: what's with all the Invulnerability Sphere and Blue Keycards everywhere? That wasn't intentional, was it?

Wow, AoTW actually made me scared, I didn't think that was possible and here I was thinking that Crusades was bad. Yep, I must say AoTW is the most atmospheric pwad I've played. Well played Mr Myers.

AotW was definetely an unexpected trip. I didnt know it was possible to have that kind of atmosphere in a wad.

Realm of the Green Soul was really good too. Especially due to the qued music.

ravage said:

Did you use the deh?

Hmmm....I don't think it said anywhere in the txt about a deh. Oh well.
EDIT: Just tried it, Baron scared the crap out of me, mainly cause I didn't expect to be behind that damn door, plus I had 11 health. :)

Err, there's a deh that comes with the wad. Hell, it even has the same name. :P

DooMBoy said:

Hmmm....I don't think it said anywhere in the txt about a deh. Oh well.
EDIT: Just tried it, Baron scared the crap out of me, mainly cause I didn't expect to be behind that damn door, plus I had 11 health. :)

*sigh*
Pre-playing it without the DEH has ruined it for you. Imagine going into that wad and knowing NOTHING of the layout ahead of time, but for the first time with the DEH and the superbaron and all that.

man i played AOTW and that shit scared me too! im stuck now tho, dont know what to do.

Goat said:

man i played AOTW and that shit scared me too! im stuck now tho, dont know what to do.

I had that problem, too. Make sure to hit all the switches, then search the level again. (All the faces are switches.) Down in the blood-pit with the Baron is a switch in a room on the left wall from the entrance that you have to hit before you can go through the door upstairs. The switches beside doors, it seems, are seldom the switches that open those doors.

This is one wad where run-around-and-find-what-the-switch-does isn't so bad, because the atmosphere is always there to make you question what you're doing and what's around the corner, the walls are indistinct enough and the light is low enough that you always feel lost, your health is low enough and you are unarmed so you feel powerless (I almost pissed my pants with joy when I found the shotgun shells upstairs, even without a shotgun to use them with), so the extra travel adds stress, fear, so on.

ive already found the shotgun and shit. the latest thing that has happened that seems significant to me is finding those "Teleport hallways" that transport u somewhere when u step over a certain point. one sent me to a outside ledge type dealy with 3 green torches on each side of the exit of the teleport hallway that leads outside. theres nothing on the ledge besides the view down, to cyberdemons and junk..dont know what to do :/ ill go look for more switches.

Thanks for the recommendations, I tried both aotw and rotgs earlier today and enjoyed them very much.

AOTW: Gotta agree with the masses, this was one freaky experience. I wasn't sure where I was going but I found my way out eventually, just hitting whatever switches I found without knowing what they did... and going very slowly and very carefully. The new cyberdemon stomping sound was absolutely thunderous with the speakers on, great effect there.

ROTGS: Interesting challenge and use of dialogue here, but monsters with invisibility isn't my favorite (especially when time is a factor at one point). But regardless, it kept me entertained.

Ultraviolet said:

*sigh*
Pre-playing it without the DEH has ruined it for you. Imagine going into that wad and knowing NOTHING of the layout ahead of time, but for the first time with the DEH and the superbaron and all that.

No no, you don't understand. I played it for like 20 seconds, and all the blue keys and IV Spheres lying around turned me off to it. With the deh, everything is much better.

DooMBoy said:

No no, you don't understand. I played it for like 20 seconds, and all the blue keys and IV Spheres lying around turned me off to it. With the deh, everything is much better.

Heh, I talked to somebody who couldn't figure out what he was supposed to do. He thought it was a joke wad because he was trapped in the first room with an unopenable door and two blue keys just past that.

Heh all you gotta do is punch the air, the guards wake up and open the door from the outside.

Epyo said:

Why, Realm of the Green Soul of course! I haven't played it in a while, I should go give it a spin. Anyone know where this guy went?

Hasn't made stuff in a while. He said he'd make a lot more though. I wish he would, because that was fun.