Find results in...
timmie

3D models vs dynamic lighting! Fight!

Which do you want in 0.8?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you want in 0.8?

• Dynamic lighting
    • 3D model support

Ok, which do you want to see most in 0.8: 3d models or dynamic lighting? The texture shader stuff will be in there as well, of course, but I'm just curious what feature you guys want first :)

With 100% of the poll going for dynamic lighting, the answer is clear!

Hang on, I'm the only person who has voted so far. Ah well.

I think dynamic lighting is far more interesting both from an editing and a playing point of view, but I suspect 3D models will prove to be the more popular choice.

Ok for the lights but the 3D models are interesting to.... Will they come with the 0.9 release ?

=> I voted "lights"

There are a few decent monster and weapon models floating about, and models are useful for certain decorations (e.g. creating 3D looking structures), but I most go with the flow and say lights.

Muahaha, I think this is a little one sided :)

Ok, I guess I'll change up and do dynamic lighting first. Combined with the unclamped framerate in the next version of ZDoom (http://zdoom.notgod.com/news.php) it should look pretty cool!

I like the models, but I had to vote lights too. Are lens flares part of the lighting system?

And one for a little off topic. How good are the high res textures? I was thinking about downloding, but due to me being on dialup I'd like some opinions first.

3d md2 lights. Heh.
Nah, I'd have to go with the general vote and say dynamic lighting.

When you add lights, could you add a thing that editors can place in the level as light sources? The first 3 arguments could be RGB values, the 4th a radius or something. That would really r0x0r :)

boris said:

When you add lights, could you add a thing that editors can place in the level as light sources? The first 3 arguments could be RGB values, the 4th a radius or something. That would really r0x0r :)

I dunno how they are actually implemented, but Vavoom has placeable light sources. SlayeR's vslyr1.wad used this very effectively (http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11689). It'd be great to play around with something like that in Zdoom.

Hmmm, looks like I could have been wrong about 3D models being most people's choice.

That placeable light thingies would be cool. When i go back and play .66 with the lights and stuff it looks good, imagine if ceiling lights would do that. oh, pardon me, must wipe off drool. good job timmie, whatever you do, it wilt be goooooooooood

boris said:

That's been in the plans for a long time :)

I've been after placeable light things in Doom since the source code was first released, so if you do this you'll be my god :)

timmie said:

That's been in the plans for a long time :)

Guessed so, just checking to make sure ;)

Enjay said:

I dunno how they are actually implemented, but Vavoom has placeable light sources. SlayeR's vslyr1.wad used this very effectively (http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11689). It'd be great to play around with something like that in Zdoom.

Very nice level. I dunno how I managed to not have played it before. Some things seem to be broken in the Vavoom version I got though.

Anyway, I think the lights in Vavoom are a bit different. They actually cast shadows, which the dynamics lights don't do.

It would be nice if the lights would cast shadows like Vavoom, but it should be an option to build the vis data. It takes tooo long to make it, but on a final level build or something, it would add a lot more atmosphere.

0.66 sucks. Never worked right.

I also dislike asparagus, Chevrolet, Fort, Toyota, BMW, automobiles in general, the colors red, green, blue, and all combinations thereof, Intel, AMD, AMI, AlienWare, ASCII, Unicode, all TrueType fonts, all web-based companies and websites. Read and reply!