Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
netnomad312

Doom Connector

I never heard of this little program until just last night. This one person IMed me last night with the idea to use this little program to play online. So I downloaded it (it has a little icon on the front of the ZDoom homepage now, apparantly).

Problem is, there are some "invalid" files. The other guy had a different version of ZDoom, for instance. Once we sorted that out, there was something we could never get: we both seemed to have different versions of doom2.wad. It's weird, because both our doom2.wad files came from Doom95.

Any ideas what's wrong?

Tai said:

I can't believe you used Doom 95.

cut him some slack

Yup, you have to patch your Doom2 IWAD to match others'. You can get patches from MaTT's site I see, you can get them from Doomworld, but if those all confuse you, try what fodders got back there:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/fodders/wads/D2_16_19.zip
He says this always works (and hes the forum moderator so hes always right :rolleyes: heh) so give it a try.

I'm only using the WAD from Doom95, not the engine. We were going to use ZDoom.

This guy apparantly got a CD with Doom 1, 2, and both Final Doom episodes, in Doom95 form. Some collectors 2000-2001 edition, he said. I just bought mine from a computer show a couple of years ago; it only had Doom 2 (in Doom95 form) on it. Whose version do you think is newer, and how would you propose I send/get the file? 14/15 MB isn't going to go by very fast...

Look if there is a DOS folder on the cd and install from that, then use the patch to update.

Who's to say both our CDs don't have different DOS versions? I guess it's a good idea, but then there's still the problem of transferring if they don't match...

It's usually 1.666 that is on the cd. Easy to check, run Doom2 if it's 1.666 the loading bar will be red, it's white with 1.9.
Also 1.9 (the version everyone uses) is 14,604,584 BYTES when checked with "properties".

After more than a month without any problem or glitch, we're down, :S and it isnt even our fault >:(
The ISP is having some problems. We're moving the server to a different connection and hope we can get back online today. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Gherkin said:

After more than a month without any problem or glitch, we're down, :S and it isnt even our fault >:(
The ISP is having some problems. We're moving the server to a different connection and hope we can get back online today. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Uh... what? I don't understand...

Anyway, I figured out my problem. A while back I merged a certain sprite pack of mine into my IWAD, and I assumed this guy had done it as well (since he requested it a couple months ago). But that was our file difference. Stupid me...

Gherkin said:

Heh, I can't even get on DC anymore. It says that it can't find the remote configuration. It's been doing it for a few days now.

It says that it can't find the remote configuration. It's been doing it for a few days now.

Thats just a file it downloads using HTTP. It needs it because it contains information like latest file versions, server address, login entrance, etc. Make sure DC can get it, that is, make sure no firewall, router, proxy or other kind of node blocks outbound port 80 for connector.exe.

Gherkin said:

Thats just a file it downloads using HTTP. It needs it because it contains information like latest file versions, server address, login entrance, etc. Make sure DC can get it, that is, make sure no firewall, router, proxy or other kind of node blocks outbound port 80 for connector.exe.

Ahh, that information helped a lot. Too bad my brother blocked outbound port 80 because of the large amount of viruses that my mum was placing on this computer.

Doom Connector is back online. It was a week ago too, but that was a temporary connection which caused nothing but trouble (incorrect pings, join game failures, etc). Joen moved the server back to the original connection which is back online again. Everything is working properly again, so have some good multiplayer games this weekend people ;)

Support for ZDaemonGL has been added too. Its in Support menu -> ZDaemon Setup, check the box saying "Use ZDaemonGL" and point the "Engine Folder" field to the folder where you have your ZDaemonGL installed. Please note that you must copy ZDaemon and install ZDaemonGL in a different folder. Because their fmod.dll is different, they dont work right together in the same folder.