Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

You liar. You're registered. Kidding.

I saw the 32X version at a friend's house once. It actually had gibs and ran smoothly but didn't look too great. Also there's only 17 levels and I don't think any Spider Mastermind or Cyberdemon.

32X doom was awesome. Then again it was when I was introduced into the doom realm. Many people say it sucks, I think it's oozing with atmosphere and the soundbank makes it even better. It's probably better on a real 32x than an emu though

From what I hear, it was the worst console conversion of Doom. I've played it, but it was so long ago I can't remember much of it.

Being that I played the PSX version first, the 32X version looked like utter crap when I played through. I admit my judgment was clouded because of that.

I feel for a cartridge version of doom it kicked the shit out of SNES doom despite having less maps. The fact that the resolution was MUCH nicer, there were flats, and there was even doom2 textures and stuff was really cool in my opinion. Of course it isn't going to measure up to CD based consoles but that's to be expected.

SNES Doom just flat-out blew. Ugh. Then again, games like Doom weren't designed with the SNES in mind, so considering what they had to work with, the creators of SNES Doom actually did an OK job.
Never tried 32X Doom, never hope to.

No.
First off, there's the stellar PSX version of Doom. Awesome stuff.
Then there's the Nintendo 64 version of Doom, which is also well done.

DooMBoy said:

No.

Ok. I've only tried Doom64. (Didn't like it :/)

No.

In your opinion.

Doom 64 has nice, atmospheric levels. Shame about the controls and graphics though.

Fredrik said:

Doom 64 has nice, atmospheric levels. Shame about the controls and graphics though.

And that it's not for the PC! :P

DooMBoy said:

It will be though, pretty soon.

Only for the warez monkeys! :P

DooMBoy said:

SNES Doom just flat-out blew. Ugh. Then again, games like Doom weren't designed with the SNES in mind, so considering what they had to work with, the creators of SNES Doom actually did an OK job.

well carmack ported it himself, and it's usually helpful when the original programmer of the engine ports it since he would be the one who knows it best (at least back then)

Hmmm....
Did he port the source for all the console ports, or just some of them?

I don't like Doom64 full stop. Half of that was due to the N64, which I hate, and half due to what they perverted Doom into, which I also hate.

PSX Doom is a much more honest Doom experience. In places it is better than the PC version. The atmosphere is fantastic on some of the new levels, and enhanced on the original ones.

I never played 32x Doom, but from what I recall the screen was locked one size smaller than normal status-bar size, ie there was a big green stone border around the screen. It looked pretty crap.

DooMBoy said:

Hmmm....
Did he port the source for all the console ports, or just some of them?

not sure, I know he did snes and jaguar ports, and I know he had nothing to do with doom64, but as to 32x and psx doom I dunno

The Playstation version was made by Midway. Playstation Doom is pretty cool, nice sound effects. It's better than original PC Doom.

Not to mention cooler music XD, I think 32X doom had the first 20-odd levels of PSX doom, just in a lower resolution and there was no BFG (If you cheated you could get it though XD), Cyberdemon or Spider mastermind, it did have Nightmare spectres though, oh and i think they added walls in places and deleted windows to gaurd against visplane overflows

(Incedentally, i know how to make PSX doom do a VPO, heh)

The Playstation version was made by Midway. Playstation Doom is pretty cool, nice sound effects. It's better than original PC Doom.

Heresy!!!! The Doom Inquisition cometh!!!!!!!!!

boris said:

What?? No. Half the texutres are wrong and the port was based off the Jaguar code, you couldn't even do textures with transparencies. Crappy.

I actually own a copy of 32X doom along with the 32X itself. Aside from being mere novelty items, both the 'add-on' console and the game suck. Horribly.

Use3D said:

What?? No. Half the texutres are wrong and the port was based off the Jaguar code, you couldn't even do textures with transparencies. Crappy.

Uh, there are transparent textures in PSX Doom.

There are also semi-transparent textures, such as the wall from the secret armour potion '(and pain elemental in the PSX version) room in E1M1, and the spectres have semi-transparency and not the fuzzy effect

I'd also add that PSX Doom was made by Williams and then Doom 64 was made by Midway, though both games were made by the same team.

Graphically the PSX version to me looked better than the original PC version, but the lack of arch viles was really missed. I never noticed any texture problems when I first played the game, so I think that point is really just a nit-pick excuse.

As far as sound and music goes, I felt the PSX version was VASTLY superior to the PC version. In fact, when I first loaded up the PC version after mastering the PSX version, I immediately noticed the crappy sound effects and music. The music was such a mood-killer for this game that I turned it off in disgust. I mean come on, midi metal music for Doom? I just couldn't get used to it after getting spoiled by the excellent mood music from the PSX version. I've since added the PSX music & sounds to my PC Jdoom version. Now I get the best of both worlds.