Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlueBeast

Texture size limits?

with WinTex, Waded, and Vanilla Doom2,
As far as wall textures go.....

1) Could a person change any size wall texture (say, 64x64, 64x72, etc) to a 256x128 ? i.e. could all the wall textures in doom be resized ?

2) what is (are) the maximum size(s) allowed for wall textures in Vanilla Doom2?

3)Is there a requirement to create SOME textures using patches, or could all replacemnt walls be made of just a single patch?

Though some ideas may not be feesable or even practicle, i'm only wondering about the limitations of wall sizes.

Thanks In advance!

1. Yes

2. Single patches can be pretty much arbitrarily wide and up to 255 (256?) pixels tall. Composite textures can theoretically be up to 32768x32768 in size. However, you'll get crashes long before that. 1024x128 is about the largest you'll se in action that doesn't crash any engines.

I might add that ZDoom supports extra large patches that can be taller than 256 pixels.

3. Any texture may have any number of patches, including one.

1024x128 is about the largest you'll se in action that doesn't crash any engines.

Like a wrap-around sky, which EVERYONE should use. It is worth noting that only textures made of one patch can be transparent, that is, a middle texture on a 2 sided linedef.

Grimm said:

It is worth noting that only textures made of one patch can be transparent, that is, a middle texture on a 2 sided linedef.

Several ports allow for more than one patch on transparent textures.

Grimm said:

It is worth noting that only textures made of one patch can be transparent, that is, a middle texture on a 2 sided linedef.

It doesn't have to be a transparent texture. Try putting a solid, multipatch texture (eg STONE) on a middle line in vanilla doom and watch your computer slow to a less than 1 frame per second crawl whilst the line is visible. Although, as NiGHTMARE correctly said, this is no longer an issue in many ports.

Read carefully, Enjay, that's what I said. :) You made it clearer, though. Yep, good old 1/3 FPS slowdown.

Is there any possible way to get 256 high textures onto the walls, or is that only for skies?

Grimm said:

Read carefully, Enjay, that's what I said. :)

Yeah, I thought you had, but I wasn't sure if you had meant to include non transparent textures in what you were saying or not. :-)

Grimm said:

Read carefully, Enjay, that's what I said. :) You made it clearer, though. Yep, good old 1/3 FPS slowdown.

You mean good old medusa error

Torn said:

You mean good old medusa error

Yup, that's the one. Makes you move so slow you may as well have turned to stone.

I recently made a secret area in a room with COMPBLUE as the main wall texture. The secret was in a fake (although impassable) wall you can access from elsewhere in the level. But to make the fakewall I needed COMPBLUE again. And I almost forgot about that bug because I use ZDoom most of the time now. But I had to edit COMPBLUE and turn it into one patch to make sure that doesn't happen in vanilla doom.