Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlueBeast

Time limit before dying?

I remember a wad, perhaps called 'race' something, where you had to get around the 'track' picking up a key, dodging obstacles etc, and you had a (was it 30 second?) time limit to complete the course or you would die instantly...

How was that effect created?

The level you're talking about is MAP03 of Dystopia 3.

The effect is created by putting barrels along with voodoo dolls (duplicate player starts) in dummy sectors. When the player enters the track, a crushing ceiling is set up that eventually crushes the barrels and kills the player through the voodoo dolls, unless it's stopped by the player passing the finish line

The Ultimate Doomer did this in one of his maps too. The disadvantage is that it doesn't work in Legacy because Legacy, for some dumb reason, removes voodoo dolls.

If you're using some port like ZDoom, this can all be scripted.

heh it wouldn't be hard to do. just make a sector with a voodoo doll and a high ceiling that activates a crusher when you walk over a certain spot.

sargebaldy said:

heh it wouldn't be hard to do. just make a sector with a voodoo doll and a high ceiling that activates a crusher when you walk over a certain spot.

DUR ISNT THAT WHAT FREDRIK SAID

Linguica said:

DUR ISNT THAT WHAT FREDRIK SAID

Not quite. Fredrik mentioned barrels, which are absolutely necessary for an instant death. The crusher doesn't kill fast enough.

Nanami said:

The Ultimate Doomer did this in one of his maps too. The disadvantage is that it doesn't work in Legacy because Legacy, for some dumb reason, removes voodoo dolls.

If you're using some port like ZDoom, this can all be scripted.

It can be scripted in Legacy as well.

sargebaldy said:

That's exactly it. Calculate the height required by timesing (heh, never written that word before) the no. of seconds by 35 (rate of descent is 35 units/sec) and then add 56 (the player height). If you use barrels as well, add another 35 units (the time it takes to blow them up).

DarkWolf said:

It can be scripted in Legacy as well.

ZDoom was just an example. You could script in a dozen ports. ZDoom is just the most popular so I gave it as an example.

Nanami said:

ZDoom was just an example. You could script in a dozen ports. ZDoom is just the most popular so I gave it as an example.

Sorry about that, the first time I read the post it sounded like Legacy couldn't do it at all.

DarkWolf said:

Sorry about that, the first time I read the post it sounded like Legacy couldn't do it at all.

Yeah, it was formulated as such. That is:

A is lacking feature X
(implicitly: on the other hand), X is featured in B

I saw this effect in Scythe megawad also, map 28. Nice run through bloody red caverns :)

Nanami said:

I always use X, Y, and Z. Not A, X, and B!

Mathematical conventions: you fail them.