Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Disorder

Pentagon to use 'lifelogs'

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A Pentagon project to develop a digital super diary that records heartbeats, travel, Internet chats -- everything a person does -- also could provide private companies with powerful software to analyze behavior.

That has privacy experts worried.

Known as LifeLog, the project aims to capture and analyze a multimedia record of everywhere a subject goes and everything he or she sees, hears, reads, says and touches. The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, or DARPA, has solicited bids and hopes to award four 18-month contracts beginning this summer.

DARPA's research has changed lives far beyond the U.S. military before; it developed what became the Internet and the global positioning satellite system. The LifeLog research is unclassified, so its components could eventually be used in the private sector.

Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/06/03/pentagon.superdiary.ap/index.html
You have to read the whole page to fully understand the purpose of LifeLog. However, privacy experts are worried people will not be able to control LifeLogs. So, the Pentagon wants to make a multimedia diary of some people's lives. What's next? What do you think? Good, bad?

Now why would you let yourself be strapped into one of these things in the first place? This ain't a late 70's/early 80's paranoia story.

This was made by the same people who created the Internet and the GPS.

the_Danarchist said:

from original post quote:
it developed what became the Internet and the global positioning satellite system. The LifeLog research is unclassified, so its components could eventually be used in the private sector.

good job danarchist :P

Well I read this like 2 days ago. I didn't bother to read anything he posted. All I'm saying is that its kind of creepy that this is being developed by the people who made two systems that are in widespread usage around the world.

heh yea i understand what ur sayin. i sure hope it doesnt become widespread. i can see usefulness for like the military and police, but i see no use so far as for civilians and the like.

It will probably keep a record of how many times you masturbate as well. I'd say that's pretty bad.

Guys, its not like its some little device they can slip on you without you knowing. Look at it; it's a fucking body harness with a computer attached.

Arno said:

It will probably keep a record of how many times you masturbate as well. I'd say that's pretty bad.

I hope it can count past 1 million

IMJack said:

Guys, its not like its some little device they can slip on you without you knowing. Look at it; it's a fucking body harness with a computer attached.

Well, companies could, in the future, require you to append logs of your life to any job application etc. That would mean that you would pretty much be screwed if you didn't use one.

If it gets to that stage I am officially banning the human species from existence, and you must help me.

pritch said:

If it gets to that stage I am officially banning the human species from existence, and you must help me.

I'm in.

pritch said:

How do we go about doing that?

Count me in too.

Shaviro said:

How do we go about doing that?

Suicidebombing. Why? You'll get rid of yourself while getting rid of other people. Two birds with one stone.

Erik said:

Well, companies could, in the future, require you to append logs of your life to any job application etc. That would mean that you would pretty much be screwed if you didn't use one.

Companies don't need employees anyway. They certainly wouldn't have any if they were that stupid.

Makes you wonder how many (hundreds) of similar projects never got off the ground.

IMJack said:

Companies don't need employees anyway. They certainly wouldn't have any if they were that stupid.
Makes you wonder how many (hundreds) of similar projects never got off the ground.

You assume that the future generations will actually have a choice of employers.

pritch said:

OK. /me slaps some rounds into his assault rifle and cocks his shotgun