Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

adds on doomworld

ok the adds use to be just an annoyance, but now they are dangerous. for the past two days every time i get a popup add from doomworld i get a virus and or spyware warning.
viruses goten
trojan horse of some type
a script virus(what virus scan said)
klez32
spyware
bonzi buddy junk
music search
gator
various script exploits

i warn everyone to check their systems!
i know with some line added to an IE file we could turn off popups, however i think these adds are different. if not where in doomworld can i find the information

I have Norton antivirus running in the background 24/7. I don't get any warnings on Doomworld, then again, I hardly check the frontpage.

I haven't seen an ad on Doomworld in like a year. But I guess the ads could be a big problem for the site's appeal to newcomers.

The only problem I had was with that Sims ad that would not allow you to click links on a large area of the page even after you closed it.

I just ran AdAware, and I don't have any more spyware than normal. And I think since everyone (else) has seen that stupid new matrix movie, they stopped running tose godawful flash adds.

i really don't see why people are whining about this when practically every browser except IE and Mosaic have pop-up blocking now. if you have a problem with them enough to complain about them on the forums, maybe you should get one of the mozilla based browsers (i myself use netscape) or opera (which claims to stop popups although i don't use it so i can't verify its effectiveness). for people who grew up with IE i recommend Mozilla Firebird because although fairly similar to IE it contains a lot of the best features of mozilla (including popup blocking and tab support).

imo people using IE and complaining about the popups is like someone using mspaint and complaining you can't use filters for difference clouds. IE will get you by but it doesn't really have all of what you might want.

sargebaldy said:
imo people using IE and complaining about the popups is like someone using mspaint and complaining you can't use filters for difference clouds. IE will get you by but it doesn't really have all of what you might want.

hence the need for Crazy Browser.

IE is crap for obvious reasons (pop-ups, kill-system scripts, improper CSS support, no PNG alpha support...). And though Opera has some more functionality, the awfulness of its interface (I used to use it for several months, I know) kills its potential.

No, Mozilla Firebird is the best thing there is to browse the Internet with.

The adds here on doomworld aren't nearly as bad as the multiplications and subtractions here.

Fredrik said:

No, Mozilla Firebird is the best thing there is to browse the Internet with.

i don't care for it much myself but yeah, it's still my #1 recommendation to everyone stuck on ie because it loads fast and is set up similarly to ie, and browses fast, has tabs and popup-blocking like all mozilla-based browsers. "best" imo is the stupidest word in the english language.

Nanami said:

The adds here on doomworld aren't nearly as bad as the multiplications and subtractions here.

maybe it's just me but i think the division can be a real problem at times.

One potential option for IE users is to add the following to their "restricted sites" list:

mediamgr.ugo.com

I discovered this entirely on my own, based on looking at the urls of where the ads came from. That will take care of many problems from the DW site, and other ugo hub sites. I don't use IE much anymore, but I do have things like:

*.doubleclick.net
*.x10.com
*.ads.net

as well as others in my restricted sites list. Try that and see if it helps at all.

I like Netscape 7 personally. Right out of the "box" it stops those annoying backrgound-less ads that just spring up on top of a site and require you to click a [X]Close button (or wait) to remove them.

ya you definately have to becareful nowahdays where you surf i had spyware consume my internet before

this is the story i surfed one day i got thois thing called hello somthin turned out it was spyware i dialed out to the net and there it was a lil ad connected to my dialer i went to my systray to turn it off when i did

it wouldnt let me surf the net with out the ad thingy on my dialer it was gay i had to remove it from my registry and do all kinds of gay shit to my box oi..in the end i got rid of it but i have many story me no bored you all no more me go jumps out a window