Find results in...
Twiztid

Water falls

Hoe do people make waterfalls without editing over bfalls or sfalls
and were do you get the colorsfor it?

Twiztid said:

Well you could make a new texture, If thats what you are getting at. As for the colors, just use the template colors in whatever paint program you use really. :D

Twiztid said:

If you have the 3frames for the water fall, rename them to wfall1, wfall2, wfall3, and put them in your wad.

Twiztid said:

Most wads with waterfall textures usually insert custom patches and textures, so no color re-work is necessary. Many wads will overwrite either the BFALLs or SFALLs textures, but if you don't want to touch them do as Torn says.

I don't like those kinds of falls, they look fugly.

what you should do is take one of the FWATER flats and make it into a texture and then use that as the waterfall, only make it scroll downwards.

this is of course given that you're using something with Boom compatability, but personally I think it looks a lot better

Cyb said:

what you should do is take one of the FWATER flats and make it into a texture and then use that as the waterfall, only make it scroll downwards.

this is of course given that you're using something with Boom compatability, but personally I think it looks a lot better

Fredrik said:

Afaik, Boom doesn't let you scroll up/down, just left/right.

couldn't you just make a texture that did that O_o

no need to switch to an advanced port to do something vanilla can handle just fine.

sargebaldy said:

couldn't you just make a texture that did that O_o

Uh yeah, with 64 animation frames? Though, Omgifol could probably create those frames with a script :P

Fredrik said:

Uh yeah, with 64 animation frames?

sure, why not? new textures don't use up that much room and it would hardly be a difficult job, albeit a touch tedious. source ports are making this community lazier and lazier =P

Fredrik said:

Though, Omgifol could probably create those frames with a script :P

fp! props to all logged in omgifol programmers!

Fredrik said:

Uh yeah, with 64 animation frames?

You don't even need them! Just use one patch and use different Y-offsets for the different frames.

Graf Zahl said:

You don't even need them! Just use one patch and use different Y-offsets for the different frames.

I know, that's what I meant. But it's tedious and clumsy.

Linetype 255 (in Legacy anyway, but it's Boom derivative so it should work) scrolls a texture using the offsets. E.g. using it on a linedef with -10 Xoff and 10 y-off would scroll it diagonally up and to the left.

Using a normal animated waterfall along with scrolling would make it look like the water is moving fluidly AND splashing a little like a waterfall should. Now how could one do mist convincingly at the base of it? I've seen particle fountains used, but meh, gah, ugh.

Fredrik said:

I know, that's what I meant. But it's tedious and clumsy.

If you do it with Wintex or some other tool, yes. If you just edit the texture definition file of, say, DeuTex it's a matter of a few minutes. I never use GUI based Wad management tools and I know perfectly why.

Twiztid said:

There are some animation sequences that are not used in DooM 2, but present anyway. One of these happens to be WFALL1-4, so create the waterfall patches (use Paint Shop Pro to colourise the BFALL patches to blue) and create the textures, naming them WFALL1-4 and making sure they are all next to each other in the order. The easiest way to add up to 3 animated texture sequences without losing any others.

(the other ones are BLODGR1-4 and SLADRIP1-3 if you're interested)

Just a quick note: it's WFALL1-4 like The Ultimate Doomer said, not WFALL1-3 like Torn said.

BTW, if you're too lazy to make the textures yourself, pay a visit to this page and grab my NMTEXT2 pack. As well as waterfall textures, there are also slime and lava fall textures (note: I think I forgot to credit him in the txt file, but the lava fall was actually created by Michael Mesko) as well as various others such as dripping water and blood.

There are some animation sequences that are not used in DooM 2, but present anyway. One of these happens to be WFALL1-4, so create the waterfall patches (use Paint Shop Pro to colourise the BFALL patches to blue) and create the textures, naming them WFALL1-4 and making sure they are all next to each other in the order. The easiest way to add up to 2 animated texture sequences without losing any others.

(the other one is SLADRIP1-3 if you're interested)

Ooh! Ooh! Don't forget BLODGR1-4!

Grimm said:

Ooh! Ooh! Don't forget BLODGR1-4!

And don't forget the unused flat animation SWATER1-4! (In both Doom 1+2).

NiGHTMARE said:

Just a quick note: it's WFALL1-4 like The Ultimate Doomer said, not WFALL1-3 like Torn said.

Yeah yeah, but still I had a right point. :P