Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zoost

The NV35 Doom3 Advantage

http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/S&V/ushadow_doom3.shtml

"With Id Software's upcoming Doom3 title looming on the not so distant horizon, we've been taking a sincere interest in Id's new game engine. Since it will obviously become a definitive tool in our benchmarking test suite, for next generation graphics products and related articles, we were also more than interested when our colleagues at Anandtech posted preliminary benchmark figures in their GeForce FX 5900 Ultra launch article. The scores represented here showed a significant lead for both the NV35 and NV30, versus ATi's Radeon 9700 and 9800 products. It piqued our interest for sure and we decided to ask NVIDIA what they felt may be attributing to the GeForce FX's obvious strength, at least currently, with Doom3."

.....Id's revenge on ATI?......

I don't see that as revenge. I see that as nVidia creating a feature which helps Doom3's rendering speed on some cards, which when implemented won't affect the speed on other cards. Why wouldn't anyone implement that?

I don't trust anything anyone says about a video card before it's released and scientifically benchmarked. ATI and Nvidia are both known to cheat.

Didn't they already catch NVIDIA cheating on the last set of benchmarks? Or are these results new?

I think it is getting absurd that the two major GPU companies are implementing major features that helps a single graphics engine.

But both companies realise the marketing value of being the Doom3 card.

I think it is a sad that JC must write code for each render path in stead of writing one render path that hardware vendors must comply with.

I think it is a sad that JC must write code for each render path in stead of writing one render path that hardware vendors must comply with.

To be honest the only reason he's doing this for the new nVIDIA GPU's is because they have piss poor, almost non-existant floating point performance. Given the information gained on NV3x, it is now definite that the main performance increases come from 32FPP->FX12 (INT) instead of 32FPP->16FPP.

Anyhow, I dont understand how one can say ATI actually "cheated". 2% is very modest compared to 24% (And considering more cheats were just found today, its a lot more with anisotropy).

No, right now it seems that the best way to go will be a high- or medium-end Radeon card.

I would sure like to get my hands one one of those GeForce FX 5900 Ultra and I'm sure we would all. Those benchmarks for doom3 were as hight as 100 fps or so. Holy Sh*t!!! I couldn't belive it. I saw some of your posts and you some of you didn't belive some of those benchmarks (which is understandable) but the fps on the E3 2003 trailer looked pretty high. 500$ for a video card was a little to high for my budget. I was aiming for the Radeon9700 for a lot less but I hope that the Fx might come down in price when DOOMIII comes out.

Damn....I can't wait 'til DOOMIII comes out.

PhobosKosmos said:

I would sure like to get my hands one one of those GeForce FX 5900 Ultra and I'm sure we would all. Those benchmarks for doom3 were as hight as 100 fps or so. Holy Sh*t!!! I couldn't belive it. I saw some of your posts and you some of you didn't belive some of those benchmarks (which is understandable) but the fps on the E3 2003 trailer looked pretty high. 500$ for a video card was a little to high for my budget. I was aiming for the Radeon9700 for a lot less but I hope that the Fx might come down in price when DOOMIII comes out.

Damn....I can't wait 'til DOOMIII comes out.

yeh i whant one to, thing that sux is that there aint enny black market for hardware :S witch sux cus you can get that ericson phone for like 30 $ on the black market and loads of other stolen goods you could easely get one of them 40 % off but i have yet to find sutch a dealer ..... :(