Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomguy15243

MANY MANY questions

well first off I have heard of many versions of doom 2 or doom 95 are they the same thing for 1, and for 2 how do I find out what version I have, I dunno if it matters but when I start the game up a window comes up with stuff about wads and internet play and level select if that helps to tell what version I have. 2nd how do I get online play, I have cable and when I select make a game or something I dont know how to get onto other servers and stuff. thanks in advance.

I DONT CARE ABOUT FU**ING ONLINE PLAY I GOT THAT COVERED I ALREADY SAID THAT BUT HOW DO I FIND OUT WHAT VERSION IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you're using Doom95, which is useless for much of anything. And keep your voice down. The retail version of Doom95 is 3.0 iirc.

Actually, I was typing this out when I saw your response which made me want to stop cause well, I kinda hate spoilt brats that assume the world revolves around them. However, since I already have it written out I might as well post it. Hope this helps and please wipe your chin after reading.

The last patched version of id Software's original doom executables are version 1.9 for both doom.exe and doom2.exe. These you can get from mykdoom's page at http://www.doom2.net/~mykdoom/command.htm .

If you prefer a window version, you can get Doom95 from ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/pc/games/idg...uff/doom/win95/ , however this version is limited because you can't run dehacked patches with it and you only have mouse support for win95 so it's basically useless.

Anyway, all that is just old stuff. Since id Software released the Doom source code ages ago, people have worked on it to remove more bugs not addressed in version 1.9 as well as extend it's capabilities. The best IMHO is the Eternity engine cause:

The Eternity Engine aims to provide features that extend the DOOM experience in a way that is as natural and seamless as possible. It is one of only a few ports that boasts a DOOM compatibility level that is near 100%. New features are all optional and can be individually enabled or disabled by the player; even old v1.9 demos have a good chance of staying in sync, in large part thanks to enhancements shared with prboom. The small amount of work it takes to keep the engine compatible doesn't keep new features out of the it, either.

You can get it from http://quasar.slipgate.org/ee331b2-win32.zip

doomguy15243 said:

I DONT CARE ABOUT FU**ING ONLINE PLAY I GOT THAT COVERED I ALREADY SAID THAT

No you didn't. Now go away before I get furious and report to the mod.

doomguy15243 said:

I DONT CARE ABOUT FU**ING ONLINE PLAY I GOT THAT COVERED I ALREADY SAID THAT BUT HOW DO I FIND OUT WHAT VERSION IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You lose, GG.

Bottom-Right corner or the intro screen, or on the top of the game window. Now PH this so he doesn't find out.

doomguy15243 said:

well first off I have heard of many versions of doom 2 or doom 95 are they the same thing for 1, and for 2 how do I find out what version I have, I dunno if it matters but when I start the game up a window comes up with stuff about wads and internet play and level select if that helps to tell what version I have. 2nd how do I get online play, I have cable and when I select make a game or something I dont know how to get onto other servers and stuff. thanks in advance.

Doom 95 is a program, like a replacement for doom.exe or doom2.exe. It's not a version of a game. Doom 95 is also called a "port." That's a term for an EXE replacement for, in this case Doom, that makes gameplay better (debatable) and offers nifty features.

ZDoom is a good port. Download that for starters. It allows extra-high resolutions, changing controls in-game, and supports all sorts of special WADs that have slopes, deep water, special skies, and other effects that we used to wish we could do with Doom, and now we can.

If you want to play Doom on the internet, download ZDaemon. I'm pretty sure it's an addon to ZDoom. I haven't used it in a while.

doomguy15243 said:

If you want your question answered, stop acting like a dick.