Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Rellik

Extending BOOM, and BOOM ctf?

I've been thinking a bunch lately on what the major online ports (ZDaemon, Skulltag, Legacy, etc) have in common, namely BOOM support. So I've decided to make a BOOM DM level megawad. As I've been doing this I've thought a couple times "wouldn't it be nice if BOOM had..." and now I'm considering going to the coders of these ports and suggesting some minor additions that mappers and modders could really use. Here's a few ideas I came up with:

FOR BOOM CTF (ish) games

1. a tripwire that opens a turbo door that stays open IF you have a blue key AND you skin color is red, then it takes the key away from you. There would be a similiar tripwire for the other team. This would control flag-carrier scoring.

2. a red base tripwire that - if they are blue and have a red key, it changes their skin to a set flagcarrier skin - if they are red and they have the red key it takes the key away. There would be a similiar line for the blue base. This would control flag pickups.

GENERAL STUFF:

3. Tripwires that when crossed plays the sound who's name is in one of the texture slots. So to get it to play the DSHOOF sound you'd just put DSHOOF in one of the unused slots. One version would play the sound as if it came from the trigger object, the other would play it at full volume across the whole level.

4. An instant death super damaging sector type. ( Not really needed but while I'm dreaming :p )

5. A monster-activated exit tripwire. Wait, can't this already be done? it's been a looong time since I edited for BOOM and I've forgotten most of the good tricks.

So that's all I thought up today, anyone else got any thoughts / ideas? Think any of the sourceports would consider it? It sure would be nice if mappers and modders had a few more options for making cross-port compatible projects. :|

that all should be possible with scripting, I'm certain acs can do all of it (st and zd covered), and I'm sure fs in legacy can do at least some of it, though I'm not familiar with fs really

Yes that's all easily possible, but I'm thinking more along the lines of levels that are compatible with the big 3 online ports so that mappers can make one release that works on all of them.

There was a CTF setting in an old zdoom-derived port called Doombot, but the bots didnt really 'co operate' with the CTF element and just ran round shooting each other XD

Rellik said:

Yes that's all easily possible, but I'm thinking more along the lines of levels that are compatible with the big 3 online ports so that mappers can make one release that works on all of them.

then you're stuck with Boom-specific stuff :P

Rellik said:

4. An instant death super damaging sector type. ( Not really needed but while I'm dreaming :p )

5. A monster-activated exit tripwire. Wait, can't this already be done? it's been a looong time since I edited for BOOM and I've forgotten most of the good tricks.

So that's all I thought up today, anyone else got any thoughts / ideas? Think any of the sourceports would consider it? It sure would be nice if mappers and modders had a few more options for making cross-port compatible projects. :|

making CTF for all ports is almost impossible,

there is a special in Legacy that has the alltrigger flag, which is 1024 decimal just add that value to the flags of your linedefs

making a super damaging sector can be done with dehacked. I also have a good example of that in my Icerial 2 wad.

Deathman said:

making CTF for all ports is almost impossible,

That's why he wants the port authors to make some sort of standard for CTF maps :)

For a super simple CTF-ish game I think you'd just need 6 new tripwires:

- 2 for making flag grabbers switch to the flag carrier skin, or to keep players from grabbing thier own flag.

- 2 for scoring

- 2 to just switch players back to the standard skin and take any keys so that after respawning you can turn them back to a regular player if they had a flag when they died.

It wouldn't be real CTF by any stretch of the imagination, but it still might be pretty fun and not to mention compatible with the big 3 online ports. And it'd only take 2 more line types to make it one-flag capable too. :)

boris said:

That's why he wants the port authors to make some sort of standard for CTF maps :)

damn, I really need to read the thread twice before I start posting...