Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Little gangster boy

Come one Come all

Well i have not played Doom online be4 because no one is ever there so do any of us have games spy because i do and i am thinking about macking a game where we all can join but not all we cant have 2000 people in a game but would any one like to try that.
It is just a idear but if u do privet messg me and we will see what we can do.

Cheers

No, now go away.

Why don't you try out zdaemon, skulltag, doom connector, etc...

I'd really appreicate it if you'd use 'you' and not 'u'.

This is a forum, not an AIM message.

Anyway the best place to be if you feel like multiplayer is IRC #zdoom or #skulltag. If you have fast internet you could host a server or discuss running one with others who feel like a game. Tai3 ALWAYS wants to play heh.

pritch said:

Anyway the best place to be if you feel like multiplayer is IRC #zdoom or #skulltag.

Or you could join #zdaemon, which is multiplayer-orientated, unlike #zdoom.

Gamespy covers Doom? I thought they were only interested in new garbage.

Hey, stop picking on the guy! This is a really good idea. It's strange that noone thought of it before.

Ichor said:

Ok, calm down people.

Why don't you move it to multiplayer forum, where it belongs?.

Ichor said:

Ok, calm down people.

Bleh, delete half the post why don't you :P

Nazi!

Well, I'm not a super moderator, so I couldn't even if I wanted to.

And I can't delete posts here either.

Ichor said:

Well, I'm not a super moderator, so I couldn't even if I wanted to.

And I can't delete posts here either.

hmm... who the hell did it then?.

Zdaemon is all you need, screw Gamespy, they are only good for collecting and reporting game news. I don't even play Q3 with Gamespy Arcade

...Get csDoom, ZDaemon and Skulltag, and use Internet Doom Explorer...

This thread show nicely how much support you get from Doomworld, as a central site in the Doom community, when you've built something that can keep this fragmented community just a little more together.

/me archives it, so you can make this another 'minority report' fodders.

edit: but yes, gamespy is bad with all their ad's and commercial stuff $$$

I can't help it if he doesn't mention DC :P It IS listed in the FAQ as an option to use. Torn mentions DC early in the thread too.

Yea, but you're not the only one who runs/does-something-for Doomworld. This just reminded me. If I was talking only about a single thing like this i'd be nitpicking and my post above wouldnt exist. My opinion about Doomworld mainly comes from observation and some experiences.

Sometimes I wonder if its me who sees the Internet the wrong way. Maybe I should do the same and only support the ports I like, or only allow people on there that I like.

Sure there's lots of people from every side that do stupid spiteful stuff for no apparent reason everyday in the DOOM community. And sure it can really beat ya down and wonder if this old game is worth even bothering with. The thing is, if you let it get to ya, if you let it change ya, then it's like admitting to them that they were right. You just gotta keep on doing your thing and ignore people who stir shit up. A while ago I just decided to stop getting involved in the in-fighting and accept that the community will always be divided into all these little groups who hate all these other little groups who occasionally band together to put a big hate on for another large band of small groups who all hate each other. It's sad, but there's nothing that can be done about it. You can't make people be nice or open-minded. Either they are or they aren't and there's nothing that can change that. Just ignore the people who aren't supportive and surround yourself with people who you can get along with. It's the only way to maintain your sanity. I'm on another forum called the DWVets, and even as much of a generally quite utopian forum paradise as it is there are still the occasional tense moments. It doesn't matter where you go, it's never perfect. You gotta resign yourself to the fact that there are a fairly large number of shitty people in the DOOM Community as a whole, and like it or not there's no way to avoid them.

I'm sure nothing in this thread was meant as a knock against DC, though there has been stuff said in the past which probably makes you very wary about any possibly offensive statements. This is perfectly acceptable. When you get burned, you get cautious about getting burned again. That's exactly why I don't send news here when there's a Legacy update. We don't need to, so we don't. It's as simple as that. It's not a big issue, and anyone else on the team who wants to can send in the news announcement themselves, but I choose not to. Where you encounter an obstacle, don't bust a nut trying to move it, just go around it and save yourself the hassle. In your case, I suggest you just do your thing and to hell with everything else. You don't need justification from anyone on a forum. Everytime I log on and there's like 50 people on DC, I think "Man, Gherkin must be really proud. I wish I could do something like this." You work long hours free of charge to provide an equally free (but much less appreciated) service for online gamers. There are lots of people who very much appreciate this, and thank you. There are also lots of people who can't appreciate shit. Don't give those people any thought. They aren't worth it. Also remember that while there are shitty people here, there are lots of good people too. I just try to concentrate on those people and try to forget the others even exist. :)

Well, I have doubts.

I havent changed a bit yet, im trying to support really everything and show everything there is. But if others are right, should I change and do the same? If I would only support, do things for and recommand the ports and people that I like, wouldnt this split everything apart? I wonder if I would be happier, I doubt it.

I'm sure nothing in this thread was meant as a knock against DC

No it indeed wasnt, but it did remind me of some experiences I had with Doomworld and some things I noticed when taking a look at Doomworld, which in short: They show it as they want to see it and ignore everything else. But IMO, a central site in the community should do the opposite: Show whats around and stay objective, leave your own opinion at the door.

Reading your second paragraph I think you're right. Maybe its better to ignore this issue and just hope some things will change in the future. If it doesnt, well, then the hell with it :) heh. Focus on the larger crowd, forget the little issues, gotta remember that.

The on line gaming section of Doom is quite small as shown by the size of this forum, but whenever I have popped onto DC there are people that I see often in ZDaemon AND CSDoom so they must appreciate your work to also use DC. Keep up the good work.

The one time I saw you online today :P hehe, but thanks for the compliment :)

But that wasnt really the point, it was about Doomworld's way in general (The same goes for NewDoom btw). I know you mentioned DC in your FAQ up here, thats cool. But when I go to the Doomworld site - Untilities - Multiplayer Programs & Utilities, all I see is things like ports and antiques like iFrag, Doomserv, and whatnot. And the Gamespy that you all love too, but no DC.

During development of DC3 (the whole thing from scratch to do it the right way) I emailed Doomworld, asking if we could cooperate. The idea was to show Doomworld's news in Doom Connector's chat when some /news command was typed. Linguica responded "its ok" yay \o/ But when I made clear I needed a backend for Doom Connector to get the news from, it suddenly wasnt interesting anymore.

A year ago when DC started, I emailed Doomworld a couple times to get the DC site hosted here, no response. (I dont wanna hear no fucking response anymore now, because now I have the biggest fucking host available. But its the experience with this Doomworld that matters)

Now im not going Anti-Doomworld here, its a goodlooking site with all nice resources and stuff, just showing how much 'good' Doomworld is as a community site. And I'll forget about those Anti-DC people, because like rellik said, theres nothing to worry about that, not worth the time.

I stay cool with ya'll, just pointing out my opinion that came up in me after a long time of storing it in my memory block "what the fuck ever".

Gherkin said:

This thread show nicely how much support you get from Doomworld, as a central site in the Doom community, when you've built something that can keep this fragmented community just a little more together.

/me archives it, so you can make this another 'minority report' fodders.

edit: but yes, gamespy is bad with all their ad's and commercial stuff $$$

Sorry Gherkin, I always forget to mention DC cuz I don't have it installed. As soon as I get the Windows updates that I need, I'll download the latest version and then I'll never leave it out again.

Gherkin said:

Maybe I should do the same and only support the ports I like, or only allow people on there that I like.

I do like it so that's not why I left it out.