Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

Okay, I want some recommendations...

I want to want a new PC game. You read that right. I don't want to make another spontaneous, foolish purchase. SimCity 4. I'm not even going to put that in round brackets.

I'm looking for something that meets as many of the following criteria as possible:

- Adventure or platform game, preferably with a lot of exploration, akin to Zelda: OOT.

- Absolutely NO FPSes or anything military-themed in any way.

- Addictive formulas, keeping you wanting to continue and continue playing. Seeing a new inaccessable area, and having to figure out how to get there. (What can I say? Akin to Zelda games.)

- As non-linear as possible. Randomness and luck involved in finding items. (Akin to Diablo games.)

- Randomly generated areas, or something that otherwise displays an impressive level of computer-generated elements. Akin to Diablo. (It was impressive in this way when it came out.)

- Thick, rich, immersive, mind-dazzling atmosphere. Akin to Magic Carpet 2, or Hexen.

- Something technologically impressive about the game to make the other factors more enjoyable.

Again, I'm not crazy enough to think there's anything out there with all of those factors. Just as many as possible.

Anything?

Morrowind.

It's a FPS RPG, but you can play it in chasecam mode if you really really really want to.

Baldurs Gate II & expansion. (i never played bg1, but u dont have to really to play bg2)

this game took me literally all of last summer to beat, and i cant begin to count the hours i put into this shit. it kept me hooked, good story and everything. it has a lot of items and is based off of dungeons and dragons, which i have also never played heh.

Ever played Castlevania: Symphony of the Night? It's a PSone game, so you'd need an emulator. But it fulfils every one of your criteria save for the randomly generated maps.

I'll look into the ones mentioned. Thanks for the recommendations. Keep 'em coming.

I've never played any PS1 game for more than 5 minutes.

I say Civilization 3. It is a bit military-themed in a certain sense, and its not horribly immersive per se, but its a god damn great game and fills all the other requirements to a T, I think. Hmm...also, it is a strategy game.

If all else fails, go with Goat's suggestion.

except for randomly generated areas, Vice City (and GTA3) has all of that

Arcanum: Of Steamworks And Magick Obscura.

Again, I'm not crazy enough to think there's anything out there with all of those factors. Just as many as possible.

Anything?

Foolish you, there is. :-)

AndrewB said:

I've never played any PS1 game for more than 5 minutes.

o_O

What's wrong with Symphony of the Night?

It's one of the best 2D adventure games ever made.

IMJack said:

Ever played Castlevania: Symphony of the Night? It's a PSone game, so you'd need an emulator. But it fulfils every one of your criteria save for the randomly generated maps.

Yes, no doubt, best Castlevania game ever made IMO.

For your requirements, I'd say Morrowind. I'm not a huge RPG fan but I just played the demo and enjoyed it. Not sure I can afford it yet though.

DooMBoy said:

Yes, no doubt, best Castlevania game ever made IMO.

pfft, next to Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, for gba.

Archvile46 said:

FIFA SOCCER 2003

yay!
I played that thing for quite a while.

Eve of Destruction and Desert Combat. Both are excellent mods for Battlefield 1942. Gameplay, gameplay and gameplay.

Heavy Metal - FAKK 2 meets at least some of those requirements. Or Drakan.

I'd recommend Lemmings, but it fails the "new" requirement rather badly.

Linguica said:

Fallout / Fallout 2.

YES. they don't have anything amazing technologically, but they will KICK YOUR ASS. fallout 2 is right up there with doom on my list of best games ever.

BALDUR'S GATE 2

if i could put it in size 100 font and color it red i would

bg2 is the best 2 gigs of gaming on the planet

Toejam and Earl had randomly generated levels. It's not new. But it's one of the best games ever made IMO. In fact, it had alot of the qualities you seek.

Linguica said:

Fallout / Fallout 2.

Mmm..yes. Just make sure you patch it before playing.

Liam the Bard said:

bg2 is the best 2 gigs of gaming on the planet

ARGH. What a waste. Increased disk space decreases my appreciation for a game. Oh well, I have 23 to spare.

I would say that I've never played any PS1 game, but that's not quite true. I've played Resident Evil for a few minutes, and some ninja game for a few minutes.

I'll look into the others. I'm likely not interested in any gangster or war-related either.