Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Igor9

Serious Sam vs Doom

Arioch said:

Serious Sam was funny the first time around, and fun in co-op for a few play throughs. Netcode was horrid, so you don't get a decent play experience even at low pings, especially with the numbers of monsters involved. It holds no candle to Doom.

SS2 sucked because of the deathtraps.

Yeah thats one thing us SS net players have to deal with the crappy net code. But I still think its fun and worth playing.

Arioch said:

Serious Sam was funny the first time around, and fun in co-op for a few play throughs. Netcode was horrid, so you don't get a decent play experience even at low pings, especially with the numbers of monsters involved. It holds no candle to Doom.

SS2 sucked because of the deathtraps.

Yeah thats one thing us SS net players have to deal with the crappy net code. But I still think its fun and worth playing. But if I was on 56k I wouldn't even think about trying to play.

I really dug the lighting engine in SS.
And those open areas!!

I'd rocket jump over a wall and you can actually find some secrets! The development team in-jokes and easter eggs are GREAT. Makes any game 200% better. ;)

Shooting a rocket way up in the sky and watching it go and go and go.

And that big-ass monster in the end?

Absoultely the hands-down BEST ending of any game I've EVER played.

Doom is still the best, but Sam has a lot of good eye candy. Lens flare , that kind of thing. I find though, that it hasn't got the same atmosphere, I mean in doom you were constantly on the edge of your seat wondering what was lurking around the corner

Serious Sam coop is a friggin blast. Completely pointless and mindless shooting but there is just something about it thats really damn fun. I mean come on, the second one costs 10 DOLLARS brand new, anyone looking for a coop game should go get it for sure. And it has some hilarious moments too.

SS isnt about story or immersiveness or anything so complicated. Its just huge friggin levels with thousands upon thousands of bastards to blow to pieces.

Firing a rocket at one of those green things and hitting one of its snotballs you didnt see careening and swerving above your head at pointblank range and screaming out "MOTHERF*CK!!!!!!!" on a LAN coop game much to the laughter of your friends is good fun for 10 bucks ;)

Serious Sam vs Doom

AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH-HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEH-EHEEHEHEHE-BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!! *laughing fit continues for a good twenty minutes.

Serious Sam is way behind Doom. It has no real replay value and the setting is kinda boring and uninteresting. There's no survival horror theme or feeling to it, it's kinda more Duke Nukem'ish than Doomish.

Add to this that SS is fucking annoying at times (hate those kamikaze guys) and that the basic design is boring (Seriosu Sam is supposed to be a futuristic special forces vet, yet he looks like some civilian smartass on a beach - the enemies aren't much better, where the fuck is the interesting futuristic designs of Doom in this???).

Personally, I thought SS had a great set of enemies. Like the guys with the shootable homing rockets, you had to balance between shooting the monster and his fireballs to avoid dying, and the kamikazes. Each one had it's strengths and weaknesses, and forced you to change weapons, which is always a sign of a balanced enemy set in my experience.