Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

Dolby/SRS environmental sound through CPU...

First off, kill those "blog"s, because this is no monologue. This is for whoever can offer some insight...

I used to think that Creative's EAX effects delivered through their EMU101k chip were impressive at the time. Now I realize that they're quite the phony. I used to think that their hardware could deliver reverb effects far too fluid for any comparable software task.

I don't know if any of you have used Intervideo WinDVD Platinum, but it delivers environmental audio effects <imo>far more realistic than any Creative offering</imo> I've ever heard, and it's all software-rendered. It doesn't have useless, thrown-in effects like "clay room," "carpeted hallway," or "soccer field." It's basically like your high-end audio receiver. It has effects such as Rock, Bass, Hall, Soft, Vocal, Karaoke, and None. And they're all useful. They can truly improve the quality of a computer's audio output.

They also have settings that optimize the audio based on your sound setup. They have four different speaker-size settings. Use setting 1 for earphones, use setting 4 for a 14-amp rock concert. It can make the cheapest speakers sound a lot better.

As of now, WinDVD Platinum plays video, CD audio, MP3 audio, and WMA audio.

That's a shame, because these effects, which are limited to these uses, would be extremely useful for games and other applications. I'm really surprised by how much it improves the quality of the sound, and wish those software effects could be put to use in other applications.

Again, for those who know what I'm talking about : Why is InterVideo's WinDVD able to do such amazing things with a CPU, that other audio applications can't even come close to doing?

AndrewB said:

Again, for those who know what I'm talking about: Why is InterVideo's WinDVD able to do such amazing things with a CPU, that other audio applications can't even come close to doing?

Oh, there are most certainly others that do the same things. You just shouldn't compare to Creative, the shittiest programming house on this planet (second to Real).

PM, btw.

This sort of thing isn't that hard, there are millions of Winamp plugins that do the same thing. I have one in fact. I think generally they make the midrange louder or something. It's not the biggest computing challenge known to man.

BBG said:

Liam has the cutest avatar ever

Yes.

It's even better in 100x100

Linguica said:

This sort of thing isn't that hard, there are millions of Winamp plugins that do the same thing. I have one in fact. I think generally they make the midrange louder or something. It's not the biggest computing challenge known to man.

I don't know how you can compare Dolby or SRS effects to a midrange boost. That's just... I don't know.

Okay, I downloaded WaveSurround, one of the most highly-touted Winamp DSP/Effect plugins. It's pretty lame. There's bass boost, speaker size setting, room width setting, and then a bunch of reverb effects.

But the people who make this Winamp DSP plugin really don't know what they're doing. They're just experimenting, fiddling around, and this is the best they can come up with. They don't understand the science of sound. They're just playing around.

WinDVD Platinum has effects that come straight from Dolby and SRS Labs. They know the science, and they do it right. These Winamp plugins don't come close to 1/100th the quality.

After listening to music on WinDVD Platinum, it's REALLY hard to go back to Winamp. It's a shame, because my music library is in Ogg.

I suppose there's some way you could link the plain output from Winamp to an input channel for WinDVD. Though it might not be easy :P

So grab a compiler and start cranking out code. We're oh so anxious to see you put all of these inferior coders in their place.

AndrewB said:

Okay, I downloaded WaveSurround, one of the most highly-touted Winamp DSP/Effect plugins. It's pretty lame. There's bass boost, speaker size setting, room width setting, and then a bunch of reverb effects.

Dont download plugins according to their popularity. Usually, the most popular ones are those that are easiest to use (i.e. fewest options). There are, however, MANY plugins that allow you to really fine tune the output. You just have to hunt around winamp's site. Also, keep in mind that everyone's setup is a little different. When I moved to a new apartment, I had to ditch all my old plugins because the room acoustics were different. So dont pay too much attention to the opinions people post on plugins.

Assmaster said:

Dont download plugins according to their popularity. Usually, the most popular ones are those that are easiest to use (i.e. fewest options). There are, however, MANY plugins that allow you to really fine tune the output.

But who wants to blindly fiddle around with useless effects like flange, chorus, distortion, high-frequency gate, and other junk? It's good for one audio file, then the next one you have to start all over again. That's totally missing the point.

The point is, Dolby/SRS effects make the audio truly spatial, and truly rich, without having any useless or undesirable options. Fredrik's idea would be the most desirable.

mmnpsrsoskl said:

Jeez. It's fucking audio. Stop having an orgasm over how the effects of the sound are.

Actually, I can relate to AndrewB on this one. Audio is more important to me than video. Probably because my vision is poor.

AndrewB: YOU have missed the point. I did not say "Go to winamp.com and download some flangers and special effects stuff k". What I meant was to look around until you found what you needed. You mentioned a spatializer. I use one called "Stereo Expander" which works quite well for me. In my old setup, I used another called "simply surround". There are also a few others out there that worked decently, but I cant remember their names. Yes, Im well aware that some programs claim to do this, when all they do is add reverb or alter the trebble, and I know the difference. Also, some were not freeware. You might also want to take a look at your audio cards settings. Some (like my old card) have spatializers built in, but deactivated. Also, look into a plugin caled "MuchFX" which allows you to stack DSP plugins.

As for outuputting from winamp to winDVD, there should be some plugin that allows you to send the signal to another audio device. And there are programs on the net that will let you set up fake audio devices. This is assuming that winDVD will allow you to select the audio device you would like to use, which it most likely does.

I don't know if anyone is missing the point, but here goes:

WinDVD can open a disc, or a file. So it would have to be something rerouted to a file. But chances are that would result in mega hard-drive swapping as well as a hefty millisecond delay.

And I don't want just any ol' spatial audio effect. It's Dolby/SRS that blows the competition away, and it's really hard to go back to Ogg in Winamp after listening to any audio in WinDVD. It's not just about being spatial, it's about sounding richer and fuller, sparkling and simply excellent.

I can say with a lot of confidence that Winamp DSP plugins have nothing to offer, as they're all designed by amatuers, and do not have access to the science and intelligence of Dolby and SRS Labs.

I'm not an audiophile. I think audio sampling rates past CD quality are silly and useless. 24-bit rarely offers any quality boost, unless the original recording was done in super-high-fidelity extremely-low-noise environments.

And since I have almost no interest in music at all, it's especially beneficial to me, as it really becomes something worth listening to. Like an enrichening experience, like being in a concert.