Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

10th Anniversary

So, it's 6 months to the 10th birthday of Doom... is anyone going to do anything special for it?

I had planned to maybe do a "10 Years of Doom" thing for DW but I doubt I will. I mean, I could write articles about TCs and the history of WADs and whatever but no one would really care. It's not like Doom addons are such an important topic to require a big journalistic orgy.

I think it would be cool if people banded together and made like a mini-TC in the next six months, to commemorate the 10th anniversary, or something. Maybe Freedoom and Daedaleus could even get finished in time :P

Doom is pretty old, but still kicks all sorts of ass. I, for one, wouldn't mind a 10 years of Doom thing. Heh, maybe Julian could interview you, Ling, since you kinda ran Doomworld, which is pretty much the biggest and best Doom site on the entirety of the internet. Another cool thing would be to see if Romero still has that DAT of him discovering the newly implemented -turbo command-line :-P

Also, IMO, another cool thing would be to take a look at the other Doom engine games, Heretic, Hexen, Strife and Hacx (to a certain extent), as well as throwing in a blurb about Chex Quest for shits and giggles :-P

Also, a cool thing would be to see if you could maybe hit up Bobby Prince to do a "Tribute to Doom" track or something, that'd be mega-badass IMO

My exams will be over in July so I may probably do that 10-year in review thing during my vacation. It'll probably be more of a grand n00b guide though cause I'm still sort of a n00b but I've always wanted to do that :)

Me, erik alm and espi is making a new doom1 megawad as a present to
doom. :)
For all the levels, we gonna try to use the same style as the original had, with some new mapping stuff, etc.
It will not be total a remix of the original, but it will use the same elements as the original level used. Eg: e2m2 will have a big crate room and the other stuff there makes e2m2 e2m2.
I guess you understand what I mean.

Linguica said:

I think it would be cool if people banded together and made like a mini-TC in the next six months, to commemorate the 10th anniversary, or something. Maybe Freedoom and Daedaleus could even get finished in time :P

Heh, someone need to make the monsters then. At least all the doom1 monsters. It would be great, if freedoom got done until 10dec.

yeah i'm going to do a little 10 years thing showcasing the best pwads by year of doom's first 10 years (possibly a top 10 list from each year)

Hey Torn, if you want I can do up some dehacked patches for you. I've got a few simple ones here like a plasma shooting spider mastermind, a machine gun trooper and a rocket firing chaingunner. If you have some new ideas I can make some up.

heh, i doubt torn will be interested. the point of his project is to make something true to the original in order to commemorate the game. and from the maps i've seen so far it's going to accomplish that very nicely :)

On the big day I plan 32-player coop.

Seriously if anyone wants to allocate me any articles to write for a feature I'll do my best.

I plan to do something special for doom, maybe a few doomwads, maybe a big ass piccy, and celebrate with my doom-fan siblings. :D

Yeah I planning to help Torn get his doom1 megawad done, and no we don't need any dehacked work done, this is a pure mapping project.

Erik said:

Yeah I planning to help Torn get his doom1 megawad done, and no we don't need any dehacked work done, this is a pure mapping project.

ugh... how about mids?

The Merovingian said:

ugh... how about mids?

ask torn about that, I think that would be a very welcome addition.

The Merovingian said:

ugh... how about mids?

Hmmm.... let me think about that. Dunno still. :)

BBG said:

Also, a cool thing would be to see if you could maybe hit up Bobby Prince to do a "Tribute to Doom" track or something, that'd be mega-badass IMO

As long as he doesn't rip off Linkin Park :)
Interviews, comps etc could all be cool. The 'win a title' comp was damn funny.

Freedoom has its shareware wad subproject which probably could be completed in time if people worked hard enough. It would be really nice to have something complete and playable.

Hmmm..what about a list of the 100 best wads (and megawads, TCs, etc) as an article?

Maybe also interview the people who made them? It would be cool to hear what they think of those projects (especially the early megawads/TC's like Aliens etc)

How about on the day of Doom's birthday, everyone's avatar is replaced with one of fireworks, and than "HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOOM" in a loop! Or we could make a megawad with an E1 style level, and E2 style level, E3 style, E4, Doom II map 01-11 style, Doom II map 12-20 style, Doom II map 21-29 style, 3 Plutonia and 3 TNT levels in the same order as Doom II, an Icon Of Sin level, and two Wolf-esque secret levels! Thats 17 levels with all the aspects of Doom! Or we could make 2 of each type minus the wolf levels and have a perfect 32 level Megawad!

insertwackynamehere said:

How about on the day of Doom's birthday, everyone's avatar is replaced with one of fireworks, and than "HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOOM" in a loop! Or we could make a megawad with an E1 style level, and E2 style level, E3 style, E4, Doom II map 01-11 style, Doom II map 12-20 style, Doom II map 21-29 style, 3 Plutonia and 3 TNT levels in the same order as Doom II, an Icon Of Sin level, and two Wolf-esque secret levels! Thats 17 levels with all the aspects of Doom! Or we could make 2 of each type minus the wolf levels and have a perfect 32 level Megawad!

We are making a megawad, but for doom1, look back. :)
your idea is good, but I don't find it good for doom's 10th birthday.

insertwackynamehere said:

heh, i say leave doom II out of the festivities. this is doom's birthday, not doom II's or final doom's. doom II still has another year to wait =P

I'm thinking along the following lines:

• An extensive review list of the 'best wads ever', maybe grouped in SP/DM, single-level/episodes/TC, with a poll so visitors can pick their top 3 out of these. Up several weeks before anniversary, with results of poll posted at the anniversary. Advantage: we can add those reviews to our resources.
  • I'll try and get our resources (files, ports) up to date. Yeah yeah I know... Having a life sometimes truely sucks :)
  • A contest of some sort, with Real Prizes to win. Two drawbacks: we probably don't have money to give out a Real Prize, and what form of contest? It's hard to top that 10-sector feature :)
  • Interviews with (ex-)id'ders? As if they aren't swamped with such requests already.
  • Series of articles by well-known Doomers? Dealing with past, present and future of Doom.
  • Something with Doom3. This depends on whether or not the game is out by then.

Mordeth said:

I'm thinking along the following lines:
A contest of some sort, with Real Prizes to win. Two drawbacks: we probably don't have money to give out a Real Prize, and what form of contest? It's hard to top that 10-sector feature :)

I'd contribute, Im sure a few forum regulars would chip in. It wouldn't have to be much, something cool like a signed DOOM3 box would be worth a lot more. Maybe a legit copy of Deepsea etc

I would just play Doom all day, first i play Doom, then i play Doom 2, and then of coarse Doom 3. Doom 3 will be an awesome game.

What about a megawad where each level actually look as it original name, for example

E1M1: The level look like an hangar
E1M2: A nuclear plant

And so on...

Or what about a ZDOOM mod that recreate the original plot of DOOM (the one of the DOOM Bible), I know that someone tried to do that, but it never was completed because the author designed maps that actually had nothing to do with the DOOM Bible, and nobody helped him.

I actually have five maps based in the original plots.
-Hangar 2
-Supply Depot
-Waste Processing facility
-Mess
-Control Center

I'd like to see:

• An article by a speedrunner talking about how and why the Doom / Doom 2 levels are so strangely good for speedruns
  • An article by a coder discussing all the good bugs in the Doom engine (straferunning, wallrunning, voodoo dolls, fake floors, instalifts, ghosts, grabbing shit through walls, etc)
  • Big list / reviews of top wads
  • Some sort of wad

Interviews with various Doom community members; mappers, musicians, coders, webmasters, etc.

The Merovingian said:
ugh... how about mids?

They're making a plain DOOM II wad (if I'm not mistaken), so the MIDs should have to be good as MUSs.

myk said:

They're making a plain DOOM II wad (if I'm not mistaken), so the MIDs should have to be good as MUSs.

you mean plain Doom wad. Not doom II.