Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Igor9

Chaingun Sergeant and Spiderdemon

What's the differences between the chaingun attack of these two? Does the Spiderdemon's attack do more damage or something?

yeah, the spider does fires 3 times as many bullets as the chaingunner.

DarkWolf said:

The spiderdemon uses the sergeant's codepointer for attacking, it just fires faster.

Just to be totally clear, that is the spider uses the shotgun guy's codepointer when it fires, so every shot does the same damage as an enemy shotgun blast. The chaingunner uses a different pointer. It makes the shotgun sound but does far less damage than the shotgunner/spider pointer. The damage seems to be similar to the pistol guy shots but may be a bit tougher. Maybe it's just the increased rate of fire that makes them tougher though. From memory (could be wrong here) the SS Guy uses the same pointer as the chaingun guy, but the ROF and relative timing of firing frames is different.

Enjay said:

Just to be totally clear, that is the spider uses the shotgun guy's codepointer when it fires, so every shot does the same damage as an enemy shotgun blast. The chaingunner uses a different pointer. It makes the shotgun sound but does far less damage than the shotgunner/spider pointer. The damage seems to be similar to the pistol guy shots but may be a bit tougher. Maybe it's just the increased rate of fire that makes them tougher though. From memory (could be wrong here) the SS Guy uses the same pointer as the chaingun guy, but the ROF and relative timing of firing frames is different.

The only difference between the chaingun attack and the pistol attack is the sound being played (dsshotgn vs. dspistol). Everything else is identical.

Graf Zahl said:

The only difference between the chaingun attack and the pistol attack is the sound being played (dsshotgn vs. dspistol). Everything else is identical.

Ahhh thanks. I thought it was probably like that, but had little more than "feeling" to go on. I have changed the chaingunners to use the zombieman pointers before now and the damage dealt seemed to be much the same but I wasn't sure.

Codepointers:
417 - Chaingun guy or SS nazi shoot chaingun
616 - Spiderdemon shoot chaingun

Nanami said:

616 - Spiderdemon shoot chaingun

In dehacked if you go to any code pointer and change it by entering 616, 617 or 218 it puts the same code number into the final code pointer column. In my version that is 162384 (this will vary depending on which version of the exe you have set dehacked up with).

What this means is that frames 218 (sarge firing frame), 616 and 617 (spider frames) are using the same pointer. I know you didn't say they weren't. I'm just trying to provide a bit more info.

Oh yeah, and from boomdeh.txt

[218] {SPR_SPOS,32773,10,{A_SPosAttack},S_SPOS_ATK3,0,0}, // S_SPOS_ATK2

[616] {SPR_SPID,32774,4,{A_SPosAttack},S_SPID_ATK3,0,0}, // S_SPID_ATK2
[617] {SPR_SPID,32775,4,{A_SPosAttack},S_SPID_ATK4,0,0}, // S_SPID_ATK3

DarkWolf said:

The spiderdemon uses the sergeant's codepointer for attacking, it just fires faster.

Wouldn't it be the other way around since the Spiderdemon was older than the Chaingunner?

Note that he said sergeant (i.e. shotgun dude) and not commando (chaingun dude). [As Enjay clarified above.]

use the source, luke!

zombieman attack:

S_StartSound (actor, sfx_pistol);
    angle += (P_Random()-P_Random())<<20;
    damage = ((P_Random()%5)+1)*3;
sergent attack:
    for (i=0 ; i<3 ; i++)
    {
	angle = bangle + ((P_Random()-P_Random())<<20);
	P_LineAttack (actor, angle, MISSILERANGE, slope, damage);
    }
chaingunner attack:
    angle = bangle + ((P_Random()-P_Random())<<20);
    P_LineAttack (actor, angle, MISSILERANGE, slope, damage);
there is no mastermind attack, but indeed in comparison to the chaingunner his rate of fire is much faster (4x as fast in fact it appears, if I'm reading this right). For anyone who doesn't know, P_Random returns a number between 0 and 255 inclusive and <<20 is bitshift to the left, 20 bits (not really important in this case really, it's just how doom calcs thing angles and their width etc etc)

Cyb said:

use the source, luke!
there is no mastermind attack, but indeed in comparison to the chaingunner his rate of fire is much faster (4x as fast in fact it appears, if I'm reading this right). For anyone who doesn't know, P_Random returns a number between 0 and 255 inclusive and <<20 is bitshift to the left, 20 bits (not really important in this case really, it's just how doom calcs thing angles and their width etc etc)

If you post the code I'd suggest to post it completely. These are just incomplete fragments which are therefore misleading (especially the Zombie attack which doesn't even include the LineAttack call!)

Enjay said:

What this means is that frames 218 (sarge firing frame), 616 and 617 (spider frames) are using the same pointer. I know you didn't say they weren't. I'm just trying to provide a bit more info.

Right. The Spider has an autoshotgun.