Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rubilacxe

Cube 1.2 Released (**Link has been fixed**)

Before I begin, I just want to clarify that when I say "Cube" I am not speaking of the game engine which has the same name. I am not the author and take no credit for said engine. I am speaking of a MOD for Doom 2 which I made a few years back. You can view the web page for the engine I spoke of here: http://wouter.fov120.com/cube/

The day many have waited for and many have dreaded is here....

I'd like to announce that a new version of Cube, my MOD for Doom 2, has been released.

I haven't touched the thing in a while but I was playing around with it the other day, doing some bot match and playing with the single player game, and I realized there were a few issues I needed to fix.

Number 1, I came to the conclusion that the Electrode Gun v.2 was totally useless and sucked. It fired as fast as the Auto-Shotgun, but the shots were generally weak and the Auto-Shotgun beat it second to none.

So I tweaked with it. I made the weapon FASTER than the Auto-Shotgun, and also more powerful. The damage is now 10, compared to the old 8 and the shots themselves travel faster than before (30, from 25).

I also realized that the Bennelli (Pump) Shotgun, which replaces the Super Shotgun, was considerably cheep. In SP, this wasn't an issue, but in Deathmatch, games could be dominated by simply picking this weapon up once. Its hard to be killed when armed with this baby.

So I decided to lower the rate-of-fire a bit. Its still a force to be reckoned with, but you'll need to be careful with the reload time. Its more realistic as well.

The Auto-Shotgun was slightly unbalanced to the Bennelli since any old Joe could use the Pump Shotgun, while it took a fairly experienced player to dominate with the Auto-Shotgun. Now it takes a fairly experienced player to dominate with the Pump as well.

As I said in a previous post in the Everything Else forum, I came to the conclusion that these two weapons were the most deadly weapons in the game. However, the Bennelli technically seemed to be the greater weapon, so tweaking it has made it fairly even. The Electrode Gun is now also a deadly tool, in SP and DM.

Many of the monsters in the game were either too hard or too easy to kill. Their hitpoints have been adjusted accordingly. Nothing too drastic. Demon elite now has 215, compared to his previous 200. Things like that.

I'm afraid I cannot fix the crashing bug which sometimes occurs when using the Creature Creator in ZDoom/ZCajun deathmatch games. I also cannot fix the instant kill effect on ZDoom, or the stuck effect on "Vanilla Doom."

I appreciate Imp's support and coming to me, offering help, but he's having some website trouble at the moment. So I looked around and I decided to make a little Tripod page. I've uploaded the file there. Check it out: http://rubilacxe2.tripod.com/

For those who have always heard of Cube, but never got to see it, now’s your chance.

For those who played before, enjoy the new tweakings and report anything (bugs, comments, questions) to me...my e-mails in my profile.

For those who have no idea what the hell Cube is...a few years ago I made this MOD where the BFG could create monsters in the same fashion as the Icon of Sin. I eventually added more weapons and monsters. I used (or stole) sounds, graphics, sprites, levels, and music from various Doom Wads and other games to make the game pretty and then gave it to Falconers Rarefiles for hosting. I told the Doom Community about it. It was both well received and not well received. Some people thought it was a really cool idea and loved it, others said it was unoriginal and stupid for reasons including the fact that I used things without permission. Hence why I have the title "Doomworld's Wad Ripper".

So there’s your history lesson of the day. Also, don't post here saying I stole stuff or did not credit people for my work...been there done that ;) Once again, e-mail for bugs, comments or questions.

I would like to say tho that I don't take credit for making the sprites, sounds, graphics, music, or levels in the game.

You did (hopefully) get rid of all the stolen maps too?

BTW, I have a little question. What the hell is a Porgis Dauth ant where did you get the sprite for it?

the sprite is a miniture version of Nilhanth from Half Life Doom. In my game he's a Mancubus. Porgis Daus is just a random name I made up haha.

Rubilacxe said:

erm...the link seems to be broken at the moment haha...I'll see what I can do. Sorry.

Working it out as we speak, will keep you guys posted. I'm sorry. Seems to be a small problem.

I remember downloading this, except after all the controvesey it was basically a bunch of maps with all the monsters and weapons looking just like they do in doom 2, but they acted differently, and it totally killed the experience because there was no longer any modified graphics or sounds, the moral of the story being never listen to anyone and dumbly blunder onwards until someone is driven insane by you and shoots you..but your wad will live on!

Little Faith said:

I am unable to download it. I get a 403 forbidden error.

Yeah i know. I'm working on that. Something fucked up. Sorry for the inconvenience. (is now embarassed)

Cube is much more than that. I don't take credit for the sounds, graphics, levels, music, or sprites, so I'm not sure what you mean. I even said that on the post. But whatever, I'm not about to argue over a 2 year old dead topic ;).

Rubilacxe said:

The link has been fixed! thanks for your patience and thanks Imp for offering to help :)

I feel like shit now. Damn aca, get my site working!!

Hm, i can now somehow see Ultimate hell causing just as much controvesy XD, seeing as all the monsters in that are basically taken from hexen/heretic/edited doom ones XD, oh well

I'm actually going to do that sometime soon. First off because the levels are like the most "illegal" thing I've done with the MOD and the most common complaint (even from the past).

Second, in a more personal matter, I'm starting not to like the levels. That would mean deleting the graphis for the biobot, so whenever I do that, I'll look for some graphic for that.