Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SmellyOgre

Duke or Doom?

The question is, Who do you like best? Duke Nukem, or Mr. Doom? I like Doom of coarse, Doom is original. Duke is just a copy of Doom to me. I know most of you ( hopefully all ) will pick Doom. Because this is obviously a Doom site.

Duke is NOT a copy of the Doom Marine, he's quite different. The Doomguy was just a marine, Duke is a bad-ass vigalante that spews one-liners and hits on women. Quite different if you ask me.

Duke is a copy to me that is but it's still a kickass game. In fact i was just playing Duke Nukem 3d the other day, although i couldnt get sound :-( . Duke was really similar to Doom to me. Oh yeah i reached that Chapel Part in Death Row, looks like Mr. Doom died a pretty nasty death.

Not sure if you're talking about the games or just the characters, for my post I'm assuming it's the latter.

I prefer Lo Wang (Duke's Chinese couterpart I guess you could call him) from Shadow Warrior. Doom is cool though for it's lack of a developed character, making you feel more like you're the marine.

BBG said:

Duke is NOT a copy of the Doom Marine, he's quite different. The Doomguy was just a marine, Duke is a bad-ass vigalante that spews one-liners and hits on women. Quite different if you ask me.

I second that. The characters are different enough for me. As DarkWolf said, I like the Doomguy better because instead of telling you who he is, you get to decide who he is, thus making the game more fun as you imagine the Doomguy is just like you.

The_Aeromaster said:

...you imagine the Doomguy is just like you.

In that case, humanity is screwed.

Both characters, and both games, are too different for me to compare easily. Like others have said, Doomguy didnt have a personality, so in that case I'll have to choose Duke.

Lo Wang was a little too cheesy for my tastes. It doesnt help that I never came close to beating that damn game.

When it comes to character, noone, NOONE in an FPS beats Caleb.

But I can map for Duke3d, so I naturally have a preference to it.

Actually the Duke Nukem character was developed way before Doom. He starred in a series of platformers which were rather popular at their time.

Little Faith said:

Actually the Duke Nukem character was developed way before Doom. He starred in a series of platformers which were rather popular at their time.

Yeah, but I don't consider him the real Duke because he watched Oprah and didn't call the aliens that kidnapped him sons of bitches and all that :-P

They are both equal to me. Doom the asskicking space marine killing hell spawn. Or duke nukem screaming oneliners, and spanking the aliens' ass.

Duke is a comepletely different FPS to Doom IMO.

It was designed with more of a Earthy, adult grunt about it, full of comedy and chicks and decks of cards. It has totaly different gameplay to Doom.

In many ways Doom is more conservative but the game has stood the test of time better. Duke3d is great, Doom greatest.

pritch said:

Duke is a comepletely different FPS to Doom IMO.

It was designed with more of a Earthy, adult grunt about it, full of comedy and chicks and decks of cards. It has totaly different gameplay to Doom.

In many ways Doom is more conservative but the game has stood the test of time better. Duke3d is great, Doom greatest.

Very true. Comparing Duke and Doom is like comparing Richie Sambora and Kirk Hammett. Sure, they both play guitar well, but the similarities end there.

Out of all of the "build engine" games, I like Blood the best. When I got it, I played it online all the time. I love that game. Its scary, its freaky, its weird, and it has very violent and crude weapons. Caleb's wry humor was a plus as well.

As far and Duke vs. Doom...I like both equally. Doom more so, but I don't think Doom dominates over Duke.

DarkWolf said:

Doom is cool though for it's lack of a developed character, making you feel more like you're the marine.

I agree with this. Doom does more to put you into the game whereas you play Duke on behalf of Mr Nukem.

Mario is the best!

But yeah, Doomguy is cool because he's just whoever. Duke is... Duke.

Caleb was the best. His raspy voice and gothic/western style outfit ruled. Plus the fact that there has never been a better "oh shit I'm on fire!" screaming sound than Caleb's horrified howling.

Smellyogre: you should play with one of the Duke ports. You can have sound in them under windowsXP/2k, and I think higher resolutions than the standard Duke vesa2.0 ones as well.

Duke:
In original game: Scowlish grin, proud head-held-high walk, shows off muscles, looks cool

In newer version: Scowlish grin, beefy (showing off muscles), still not selfconcious; instead proud-looking, still looking cool, sunglasses and ammo on chest for Arnold-in-terminatorII-cool look

Doom:
In original game: Angry look in eyes, determined, not as keen on how it looks; more on just getting the fuck outta hell and winning, holding multiple weapons, bleeding

In newer version: Angry look, a little nervous, holding a giant shotgun in one hand like before, heavily armored in green, not attempting to show off his muscles, seems like he'd rather work than pose for some beauty shots

---------------------------------------------------------------------

You decide

DarkWolf said:

Doom is cool though for it's lack of a developed character, making you feel more like you're the marine.

exactly, and that's what the point was, which is why i hate doom fanfic involving the doom marine. it's easier to relate to the doom marine because he's a very vague character with no real defining characteristics. as for other characters, i really like caleb. duke nukem's just your typical asshole and lo-wang's a little too cheesy for me.

Hey insertwackynamehere, you forgot about Duke Nukem II, which I actually liked a hell of a lot better than Duke Nukem 3D. I miss platform games. They rocked.

The_Aeromaster said:

So if I lend some bastard $20 that he buys drugs with and overdoses and dies, I should feel good about myself?

As you wish.

Er...what?

Did you come up with that on the spot or did you have to think about it for a bit? If you came up with it right away I know some scientists who may be interested in studying you.

Doomguy has a more mighty feel to him whilst duke has a more cool dude feel to him. I prefer doomguy to duke overall.

That and MDguy can kick duke's ass. :-P

SmellyOgre said:

Duke is a copy to me that is but it's still a kickass game. In fact i was just playing Duke Nukem 3d the other day, although i couldnt get sound :-( . Duke was really similar to Doom to me. Oh yeah i reached that Chapel Part in Death Row, looks like Mr. Doom died a pretty nasty death.

Theres a good Win32 source-port of Duke Nukem 3D. Check the forums on 3drealms.com and you will find it!