Hell Revealed
10 Sectors WAD
Alien Vendetta
The NEW DOOM
Darkening Ep 2
Murderous Intent
Hell Factory
KZDoom1

an_coop is a really good coop episode, I think that would have to figure in my top 10.

Well, I'm not going to post the wads which was reviewed most times with a 10/10 rating, with awards or anything else, I post wads which I personally liked very much ;) So far about this:

1 - Batman Doom
(Just absolutely amazing, you can't describe it with words)

2 - KZDoom Series
(Played all of them and also was everytime impressed by the new features and ideas provided with them)

3 - Final Fantasy Doom 2
(I liked the effort put in it and the game overall, sprites and maps, although they were pretty simple, got me feeling very "Final Fantasy 2")

4 - Adventures of Massmouth
(Funny ideas and nice effects, it just kept me playing twice and having fun although it's not a high quality wad)

5 - Darkest Hour
(Absolutely addicting, maybe I ask ReX for some "Copyright-Stuff" concerning a sequel :))

6 - Gothic Deathmatch 1+2
(Absolutely mind-blowing when I got my hands on it, still one of the best DM-Wads all over the community)

7 - TNT Series
(I hate self promotion but I like my own wads without beeing in any way arrogant)

8 - Cathedral Deathmatch
(It's the deathmatch wad from the Legacy's Team homepage. I played it about 1000 times together with my doom friend and I still like it)

...that's all ;)

Here are the top ten wads i liked the most:

Licenced to spell doom
darkest Hour 1&2
TNT Trilogy
Darken2
Slaughter DM
Sacrifice DM
Narcosis
Trust
Doom ressurection pack
CH Retro

There are many other good ones that I couldn't list.

heh, I have a theory that all doomers can be categorized into the gameplay group and the graphics group based only on whether they like gothicdm or not.

Tough one...ok, here's my ten (in no order, and not counting Heretic/Hexen stuff or my own stuff, which would otherwise feature):

Alien Vendetta
Requiem
Hell Revealed
Revolution!
Community Chest
Dark 7/mission pack 1
SapidusB (single DooM 1 map)
Waterfront (single DooM 2 map)
#1 Kill (DooM 1 episode)
Infinity/Eternity/Serenity

Erik said:

heh, I have a theory that all doomers can be categorized into the gameplay group and the graphics group based only on whether they like gothicdm or not.

graphics and gameplay don't matter as much to me (in single player) as elements of atmosphere and general complexity of level design. in a deathmatch map, gameplay and interesting and well-balanced level design comes first. the less detail in a dm map, the better, imo.

i'm not going to name any top 10 wads because i doubt i've even played 10% of the archives, and could hardly make a fair assessment.

ugh, eternal doom == booooooring WE HATES IT

also thanks to the nice folks who said massmouth, you checks are in the mail ;)

and in no specific order

Batman Doom
Scythe
Equinox
Darkening 2
Hell Factory
Chord_g
Alien Vendetta
Mordeth Ep1 (tho saying ep1 is kinda redundant)
vrack2
Dark 7 Mission Pack (I liked it better than the original)

there are more, but those ones stick in my head the most (for instance Chosen, but I can't figure out what to bump for it...)

Grogglogobofink said:

i'm not going to name any top 10 wads because i doubt i've even played 10% of the archives, and could hardly make a fair assessment.

that's okay, since 90% of the stuff in the archives is shit on a stick anyway

In no particular order...

Memento Mori
Memento Mori 2
Requiem
Icarus
STRAIN
Alien Vendetta
Millennium (too bad it was never released)
Community Chest
UAC_dead
Eternal Doom

Anyone ever played Wheel of Time Doom or Earth.wad? Maybe not my top ten, but I did enjoy them. Also, Scythe really kicks ass.

/me decides against creating a "top 10 'top 10 wads ever' threads" thread

/which results in "new" people missing great wads, which is maybe pity for the efforts people made by making those maps.
Apart from the forum and those two review sites doom underground and doom er's recess it's hard to find great maps of the past if you don't get any hint.
And yes those topics become tiresome and show up in any game forum. I think a what's the best wad made in the summer (winter for the southies) of the year 1998 or so would be more interesting to read.

Cyb said:

that's okay, since 90% of the stuff in the archives is shit on a stick anyway

I'm suddenly reminded of a DM level that was a large open circle with 4 BFGs and 4 Spider Masterminds.

Nanami said:

I'm suddenly reminded of a DM level that was a large open circle with 4 BFGs and 4 Spider Masterminds.

Congratulations, you've just named 80% of the deathmatch wads in existence.

icarus
dark7
dark7mpk
dissolution
vrack 2
ltsd007
fragport
AV
underworld
maybe area51

would anybody be interested if I put a poll on doombunker.net containing the wads mentioned here as choices? Consider this thread the NOMINEES,then u vote for the top ten on my site and i host them so ppl can find them easier. So when they ask "what's the best WADS ever, you can say... "go to doombunker.net!"

StRiKeR said:

would anybody be interested if I put a poll on doombunker.net containing the wads mentioned here as choices? Consider this thread the NOMINEES,then u vote for the top ten on my site and i host them so ppl can find them easier. So when they ask "what's the best WADS ever, you can say... "go to doombunker.net!"

I don't know... Some of the mentioned wads here don't deserve it and don't forget the many überwads we are missing.

If you want to draw up anything resembling a proper shortlist of "best wads ever", you should, as NiGHTMARE indicated, do a forum search for the umpteen other similar threads (e.g. search for the words "favourite" and "megawad" for a start) and see which wads get mentioned most often. And then there ought to be categories, since it isn't really feasible to make fair comparisons between, say, a vanilla 32-map megawad and a Zdoom hub using a mass of scripting and other advanced features.

yeah, it's more compliccated than it sounds.. I could have a thing where they write in the name of the wad. Hype it up so lots of ppl go there and vote. Tally up the 10 wads that were mentioned the most?

Grazza said:

there ought to be categories, since it isn't really feasible to make fair comparisons between, say, a vanilla 32-map megawad and a Zdoom hub using a mass of scripting and other advanced features.

I agree. But that leads to a debate over what the catagories should be. Off the top of my head, somthing like...

vanilla megawad
soureport megawad
vanilla TC
soureport TC
vanilla PC
soureport PC
vanilla mutlilevel wad (more than one level, but not a megawad)
soureport mutlilevel wad
vanilla single level wad
sourceport single level wad

..what a headache!

yeah a headache, could have a poll for each of the categories and host the top ten from each catergory lol

I gotta post... Heh.

Someone picked Insertion? :) That's my project! Woo hoo! OK... On to my pick...

This will likely be a top 20, but what the heck.

Doom2:
Memento Mori
Requiem
Memento Mori 2
Darkening
Strain
Hell Revealed
Dante's Gate
Crossing Acheron
Cleimos 2
Cabal Series (1-7)
Icarus
Insertion (Shameless Plug)
Eternal Doom

Doom:
Infinity
Eternity
Serenity
Return to Phobos
Fava Beans

Return to Phobos is one of my all-time favorite packs.

Where can I download AV?

If you're going to bump an eight month old thread, you could have at the very least given us ten examples instead of just four.

Bleh.