Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
StRiKeR

Are you SERIOUS?!?!?!?!?!

Did you guys know that people are making DOOM levels for Serious Sam: The Second Encounter. There is a level called "Dead Serious" thats a Death-Match level. It's basically DOOM2's "Dead Simple". Pretty cool! The guy who did this level said he is thinking of doing the whole E1 episode of DOOM for SS:SE. Don't know what to think on that. Serious Sam is cool though. I like it alot. It is very weird to see DOOM levels with Serious Sam textures.......

Back to editing, you son of a bizatch :-/ lol

Well this is news to me but I'm not too surprised that Doom levels are being made on a different game. In my opinion, Dead Simple is a great deathmatch level so them making that doesn't really surprise me. :D

Yeah it is fun to play death-match on that level. He has it set up so that column in the middle is a teleporter to keep the action flowing.....

any links to screenshots or info?

Sure...

http://www.seriouszone.com/viewimage.php?/images/files/ssse/maps/deadserious_1.jpg

http://www.seriouszone.com/viewimage.php?/images/files/ssse/maps/deadserious_2.jpg <-- heres how the original looked,i'm sure you know but

http://www.seriouszone.com/

You can get Serious Sam: The Second Encounter for 10 bucks. It's a hell of a game, and the engine is simple amazing. It kicks the Quake 3 and Unreal engine in the ass.But that is another topic...

A remake of Doom using the Serious Sam engine would be SERIOUSLY interesting. SS engine + Doom levels = WIN!

Igor9 said:

A remake of Doom using the Serious Sam engine would be SERIOUSLY interesting. SS engine + Doom levels = WIN!

hmm... Why Serious Sam?

Shaviro said:

hmm... Why Serious Sam?

Have you played Serious Sam? Once you fully play thru single-player and the the awesome online co-op you will know "why sam" :) Do the same thing on Serious Sam: The Second Encounter!!!

Also, the "Serious Engine" is one of the most advanced 3D engines to date. If you don't believe me then go to this site and read this!

http://www.croteam.com/engine_features.shtml

StRiKeR said:

Have you played Serious Sam? Once you fully play thru single-player and the the awesome online co-op you will know "why sam" :) Do the same thing on Serious Sam: The Second Encounter!!!

Also, the "Serious Engine" is one of the most advanced 3D engines to date. If you don't believe me then go to this site and read this!

http://www.croteam.com/engine_features.shtml

I've played through SS chapter 1 and 2 in bot sp and coop. The game is nothing like Doom. The only engine I can think of which would do Doom justice is the Doom 3 engine, and it won't be necessary to make a doom recreation on that! ;)

From the Doom3 gameplay avi I've seen, Doom3 gameplay will be nothing like Doom's but yeah, I'll probably go out and buy Doom3 anyway cause it's still Doom. Am I making sense?

Igor9 said:

From the Doom3 gameplay avi I've seen, Doom3 gameplay will be nothing like Doom's but yeah, I'll probably go out and buy Doom3 anyway cause it's still Doom. Am I making sense?

You've seen the alpha gameplay vid. That was only a tech demo. Go download the trailer, that shows the real gameplay. Looks very doomish to me!

Doom3 is not going to play anything like DooM. The id guys themselves have said it's a lot slower pace. one of the main things that separates doom from modern FPS' is it's speed.

The Flange Peddler said:

Doom3 is not going to play anything like DooM. The id guys themselves have said it's a lot slower pace. one of the main things that separates doom from modern FPS' is it's speed.

So you think the fast pace is all there is to Doom's gameplay?

Well of course DOOM wasn't JUST about fast gameplay, silly. I think somebody from TeamTNT could give a good answer cause I think Final Doom really captured that Doom feeling very well, I simply loved that level in TNT, the wormhole. Confusion, danger, nice map design, good monster mix, running around amok with a shotgun. Alot of wad authors can probably give a good answer too.

Right now, I don't think Doom3 is going to be the successor to Doom in terms of that type of original gameplay (just my opinion of course). It'll probably be what id thinks is an evolution to Doom in the post Half-Life (blech) era. I'm probably going to buy it and hopefully it's something interesting and new. Whatever.

Anyway, something using the SS engine to recreate Doom would be great IMHO and wouldn't really take the wind out of Doom3's sails. I'm sure alot of up and coming game developers are trying to cash in on that unique style (with SS being the latest attempt) and I think that's a good thing.

I guess it's a matter of opinion. To me Doom is an atmospheric, dark and scary world and not a fast SS game.

Shaviro said:

I guess it's a matter of opinion. To me Doom is an atmospheric, dark and scary world and not a fast SS game.

it's both.

Hm, well someone did do a remake of 'Dead simple' for UT, which fast became my favorite UT map (must reinstall that game sometime), And some other lot are re-making doom in Max payne, which promises to be interesting XD (Using bullet time to leap backwards, dodging a hail of bullets from a spidey only to blast it in the face with a BFG from prone)

Making remakes of Doom for other games is a bad idea, unless of course you enjoy facing serious legal problems.

Haha. Legal problems? Well, no one in their right minds is going to rip Doom off entirely but since copyright can't cover what you can't even define well..I say fuck that. I can't believe someone brought up the legal stick just because some fan made an SS map in the likes of Dead Simple. For fuck's sake Dead Simple is just a square open corridor around central pillar. Legal legal legal nyeh nyeh nyeh nyeh nyeh.

What Doom 3 needs is more monsters on-screen. Or I won't consider it to capture the true Doom feeling.

The problem with converting Doom into a newer engine is the lack of light fixtures or sources in some levels.

I agree with Fredrick. We're big boys now, we need to have monsters to actually be afraid of the dark.

NiGHTMARE said:

Making remakes of Doom for other games is a bad idea, unless of course you enjoy facing serious legal problems.

Heh, "Serious Sam in: Copyright Infringement!"

I SERIOUSLY recommend that you ALL go and buy Serious Sam: The Second Encounter. I think it's the un-official sequel to DOOM. You fight hundreds of enemies at once,and the levels are massive. It SERIOUSLY addicting. Just buy the game,it's only 10 bucks!

If the main thing that makes doom 'doom' is the dark and atmospheric scary world then anybody could recreate that with newer game engines with the right textures and use of lights etc. And I guess that to some extent is what's happening with Doom3.

But there's a whole lot more to Doom than that. The style and pace of the gameplay hasn't been matched in any modern FPS, and won't be the same in Doom3. Whilst Serious Sam doesn't match this style of gameplay by a long shot, I do think it's closer than a lot of other FPS' (and it's probably closer to Duke3d than doom anyway).

With the right textures and lighting I reckon a Serious Sam mod could play quite 'doomish'... but it still wouldn't be doom.

StRiKeR said:

I SERIOUSLY recommend that you ALL go and buy Serious Sam: The Second Encounter. I think it's the un-official sequel to DOOM. You fight hundreds of enemies at once,and the levels are massive. It SERIOUSLY addicting. Just buy the game,it's only 10 bucks!

Please tell me when you fight hundreds of enemies in Doom.

Shaviro said:

Please tell me when you fight hundreds of enemies in Doom.

Well SS is closer than Doom 3. In Doom, you could expect to face about 15 monsters at once, sometimes going up to 30. In Doom 2, there were some encounters with up against 50 monsters. Then consider which direction WADs like Plutonia and Hell Revealed have taken the way we think of Doom gameplay, and you'll find that Serious Sam is more like Doom than Doom 3 is.

Though, I do believe that I'll prefer Doom 3's gameplay :)

Igor9 said:

Haha. Legal problems? Well, no one in their right minds is going to rip Doom off entirely but since copyright can't cover what you can't even define well..I say fuck that. I can't believe someone brought up the legal stick just because some fan made an SS map in the likes of Dead Simple. For fuck's sake Dead Simple is just a square open corridor around central pillar. Legal legal legal nyeh nyeh nyeh nyeh nyeh.

Have you actually been reading this thread? People have been talking about far more than just converting one map over. Clearly you've never heard of the Reborn project, or Generations.

EDIT: wait a minute, it was YOU talking about an entire Doom remake. So what exactly are you on about with 'just a Dead Simple conversion'? O_o