Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grimm

Changing What Monsters Leave Behind

I want to have a monster I made leave behind another monster, using the SS Nazi drop thing. (If that's not possible, then the Former Human Commando drop thing.) I have no idea what controls those things, and I could use the help. Thanks.

Assuming we're talking about using dehacked here, you cannot change which monster leaves things behind. It is hard coded that the zombie drops a clip, the shotgunner drops a shotty etc. Only the monsters that are set up to drop items in the original exe can drop items, and you cannot give a monster that does not drop items a droppiong ability.

It is effectively possible to change what the dropped item is though. If you give the ammo clip the soul sphere frames (for example) it will now behave as a soul sphere. Sounds like it shouldn't work, but it does.

Leaving an enemy behind can work on the same principle. Make the clip behave like a monster and when it is dropped - voila - a "dropped" monster. This has been used in a number of mods. It may need a slight tweak to the original monster's death sequence to make sure it is no longer solid before the new dropped monster appears - can't remember. Of course, this method does mean you lose the ammo clip as a placeable item.

Another method is probably the one Epyo is thinking of. Use a script in Zdoom to spawn a monster when the first monster dies. No need for dehacking.

Well, there goes my cool idea. I guess this is why I'm also doing a ZDoom version.

Once i played a wad where the author had put a yellow key 'on' a shotgun guy, and when he was killed he dropped it, but it was only on that one guy, and all the rest dropped shotguns..fuck knows how it was done, seeing as the wad didnt even come with a dechacked patch or any scripting, it was just a level

Enjay said:

Of course, this method does mean you lose the ammo clip as a placeable item.

Actually you don't have to. For instance say you do replace the clip with the soulsphere, so now zombiement and ss guys drop soul spheres when they die. So now when you place a clip, you're placing a soul sphere, so the soul sphere thing is essentially useless. Replace the soul sphere frames with the clip frames via dehacked and now you can use the soul sphere if you want to place clips anywhere. I used this is massmouth, the (replacement) seargents drop shells instead of (replacement) shotguns, and so in order to place the shotty I did the old switcheroo and everybody lived happily ever after <3

So i can't directly stop a chaingunner from dropping a chaingun? Damn.

If i have to do this indirectly (ie the replacement of frames thing) does anyone know of dehacked tutorials that will enable me to do this?

Edit: Nevermind. Enjays site seems to be doing the job. :D

Who can forget Enjay's little place of DOOM? :)

What I want to know is how they pulled off that thrick in the Wheel Of Time project. You start on the 1st (actually level 3) level, and all the enemies are frozen statues that can be woken up or damaged, but when you open a certain door something, they all wake up, and return to there normal colors. That one was always one of the most amazing tricks I ahve ever seen.

deathbringer said:

Once i played a wad where the author had put a yellow key 'on' a shotgun guy, and when he was killed he dropped it, but it was only on that one guy, and all the rest dropped shotguns..fuck knows how it was done, seeing as the wad didnt even come with a dechacked patch or any scripting, it was just a level

Was the shotgunner standing in one place? It could have just been next to him and you didn't know...

I'm doing something like that in my next level, which is a catwalk/observation deck kind of thing. At one point a Cyberdemon will appear on the middle platform (which is inaccessable until that point), and with him a key will appear. Something like that.

Hey, I'd love to make the Cyberdemon drop a red key or something, but it doesn't look like it's possible.

(I'm not the one who bumped this BTW)