Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bloodshedder

ZDoom Is Turbo

We really ought to watch the ZDoom pages more closely. I know I'm used to it not being updated, so I haven't bothered to check it in a few weeks. Therefore, we have missed a few updates by Randy Heit; first comes the rudimentary "I am not dead" update, followed by a more substantial report on what is coming for the version after 2.0.47. Doom Connector is plugged, after which Randy hints at making the ZDoom site more visually appealing. There's also some work on the netcode being done, but most importantly there's this:

Another improvement over 2.0.47 that I've added is that the game is no longer locked at 35 FPS. It will run as fast as your computer can handle. I always thought Doom looked fine at 35 FPS before, but now I see how wrong I was. 200+ FPS makes 35 FPS look like a slide show!

After this comes a rather strange screenshot, which looks like a mixture of Hexen and Blood being played in ZDoom with the uncapped framerate mentioned above. What this really means is anybody's guess.

Bloodshedder said:

UV: Are you asking why Randy didn't mention it or why I didn't?

More like why *somebody* hasn't. It's been working since 45.cab (as early as I know), but I've not seen anybody use it or talk about it 'round here.

It works like Transfer_Heights. You can apply multiple light levels to different sections of a sector in order to achieve things like vertical light shading and shadowcasting. Hell, you can even slope their control sectors to have the light slope as well.

3d lights are beta essentially

plus they're a severe pain in the ass to use and they don't affect sprites atm

That screenshots kewl! i dunno about you guys, but i'd like to smack a mime from blood with a mace from hexen at 273 frames per second!

Hooray for smooth camera movement! Finally, some port besides JDoom that has it.

yeah, i'd like to know what the story is behind that shot.

Sign in to follow this