Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dr_qui

slowest pc used for doom ?

Anyone remember there first rig for playing doom on ? I do , it was an Amstrad 386/16sx ! Soundcard ? whats that ? Pc chip only and a frame rate to make grown men cry (hit double figures twice I believe)

dr_qui said:

Anyone remember there first rig for playing doom on ? I do , it was an Amstrad 386/16sx ! Soundcard ? whats that ? Pc chip only and a frame rate to make grown men cry (hit double figures twice I believe)

Yeah, first I 'played' it on a 25Mhz dell laptop. Actually that screen blurred so bad and the framerate was so awful I didn't think much of the game. I couldn't even tell what was going on. It also didn't have any sound, just the pc speaker.

The next time I played the game it was a few months later, in the summer, on a 486 DX2 at a friends house during his high school graduation party. It was at that time the game took off with my soul.

Firs time was on a 486 66mhz. But the oldest was a 286 I believe. The framerate was like 1 per second.

the first machine I ran DOOM on was a modified 286 (basically a 386, but with funky expanded memory)
it was slow to load but did fine once it was.

I had a 25 MHz 386 when Doom was released. I'd played Doom SW at work and at a friend's house, and was waiting for the postman to bring my registered version. However, I couldn't convince my own machine to play the 0.99 shareware (a problem with Doom the AMD chip (?) someone told me later). Anyway, by the time my little parcel from id landed on my doormat, I had a "state of the art" 486 66.

Hot old power, 486/66mhz, 8mb ram. 398mb HD. YAY! :P

When I played for the first time it was on a 386/40 MHz with 8 MB Ram.
I definitely wasn't able to play with a decent framerate on that system but I managed to finish all levels except E2M8 on it. It was totally impossible to avoid being hit by a rocket on that system. I was only able to manage that level after I upgraded to a Pentium 90 the next summer.

BlackFish said:

My old rig.

66mhz
32mb ram
4mb vid card
10gb hd

Doom only went smoothly on DOS those days

That setup..... and 10gb's of harddrive! Whaaa'!? Total godlike, or major typo!

386sx33 2 meg memory and a 4 meg HD (which the sales guy informed me "With double space you will never neeed to buy another drive") :P

SNES

PC-wise:

Pentium 120 mhz with 8MB ram later upgraded to 232MB that's still functional (though with replaced modem, sound card, mouse, plus an additional HD added). Got it right after Ultimate Doom came out.

I played modem games with people using 486's as slow as 25mhz though.

c-cooper said:

That setup..... and 10gb's of harddrive! Whaaa'!? Total godlike, or major typo!

no I actually had a 10gb hd. each drive had to be in 2gb partitions tho. (c/d/e/f)

SW Doom on a 386/sx 16mhz with 40mb HD, 4mb of ram and a sound blaster (in a tiny window obviously). Man, I played knee deep in the dead over and over and over on that computer. When I finally got the game, the plasma gun and BFG seemed really exotic.

Yep, Shareware is my Doom story.

I still have my computer. It was bought back in '93, around 2000 smackers, and it was really high-end back then, apparently. A 486, probably somewhere aorund 60mhz, like these guys said, 8 megs of memory, around 350 hard drive space, and a Soundblaster. By way of comparision, aproximately 2000 dollars today netted me a Pentium 4 2.4ghz, 80gb hard drive, 512mb of RAM, a 17 inch LCD monitor, a GeForce4 MX440, a Soundblaster card, and Windows XP. DAMN!

486DX2 50 MHz/8 MB RAM/424 MB HD/generic SoundBlaster card.

I never had any problems with it in DOOM.

Heh, my first PC was:
450mhz pentium 3
128mb of ram
2meg graphics card
10gb hard disk
which i got in 1999-if you cranked the graphics on zdoom right up it was quite slow XD (We did try playing Max payne on that graphics card heh, it was..interesting), we later got a 32meg geforce 2, and after that that PC actually seemed faster than my new one, which is
2000mhz AMD athalon XP
256mb of ram
32meg shit graphics card which totally fucked up GTA 3
40gb hard disk
I later got a 64meg geforce 4, because alough this new one has an onboard 32meg card its fucking shit (anybody heard of S3 prosavage? exactly), it made gta3 run really slowly on minimum resolution, and some textures and fire and people where invisible unless they where 'against the sky', but where they overlapped ground in the field of view they where invisible, anyway i eventaully got the new geforce, and most ports can run in maximum settings on it now (though winxp is highly ram-inefficient i think, sometimes this rig seems slower than the old one, maybe if they had actually given me a CD with XP on there i might have tried putting 98 on here just to check out what sorta speed i get, though i'd also bring on all the crashes XD)

The first machine(s) I ever played it on were null-modem networked 486s in my mum's cousin's computer shop in Canada, July 1994.

Those were top of the line machines back then with 8mb RAM and 0.9GB hard drives.

I still remember being shown how to load all the floppies, heh.

Gokuma said:

Oh and SNES is a whole 3mhz so ph33r!

/me ph33rs

I think I played DooM on a 486 once. I probably was a wee lad. Barely double digits. I wonder if I still have that piece of crap.

I first played DOOM on a SNES. Then on a comp I got for x-mas. The comps specs were

386DX2 75mhz
16 megs of ram
SB AWE 16 or some shit, I can't even remember.

DEMOn said:

the first machine I ran DOOM on was a modified 286 (basically a 386, but with funky expanded memory)
it was slow to load but did fine once it was.

i have tried it too on a 286, this one by itself had about 6MB ram without modification. however the guy did some wierd stuff to the main board and CPUs. he used it mainly to compile DOS programs.
however it was not the first system i played doom on
mine was a dell 486DX4/88Mhz, 8-16Mb ram, 4Mb VESA card, SB16 sound and a 4x Cd drive and 540Mb hard dsik
doom shareware came with the system as did keen4. it used DOS 5.0 and win3.11 and at the time i had little knowlege of DOS. at first we ran doom off the cd in windows, ran good but no sound. however later we discovered how to install and the sounds. my god it was great once sound came into play. I also had no idea how the network play worked. I fought it found exsisting games online, like moderngames, and thus ran ipxsetup.exe and was disappionted by the ipx not found error.
also we had internet too, in 1993. trust me when i say the word primative. few websites, shitty graphics and other wierdness. infact in IE, or what ever windows3.11 would have used, didnt even show a address bar. you had to go into setup to go to a web page. I only remeber 1 doom website in 1994, it was not until 1996-7 that I found several great sites of the day. then in 1998 i found doomworld and the moment the forums opened i joined, but under a different screen name.

A 486 88mhz with a 4MB video card? Sweet.

That P120 I listed earlier has a crappy 1MB onboard Cirrus Logic video chip. MBF's 640x400 hi res almost runs smoothly. 640x400 Win95 Command & Conquer or Red Alert runs alright. Forget about playable hi res in anything else. In windows it can't do hi color and 800x600 res at the same time.