Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnatone

Terminator 3

Well, we're going to have a thread about it anyway, so let us speculate what T3 will be like, and after it comes out, let's bitch about it.

personally, i think it'll be okay. not good, but okay. i felt the whole feel of the story was ruined by making t2 an action flick, but it still was an enjoyable movie. i've been waiting for a movie that focuses on the battles against the machines, so hopefully this one will please me immensly. however, i don't know if they'll execute it right; it's been quite a few years. it looks awesome, so as an action flick i will most likely enjoy it, but the story might suck, espcially considering that the date for the uprising of the machines happened in august 1998. what do you guys think?

They certainly have their work cut out for them to make the story plausible... or even 'work' within the Terminator storyline.
But I know I'll enjoy it.
I've seen all the trailers, but have yet to see something impressive. :(
the nuclear explosions look over cgi and not even like real nuclear explosions to me.
they are retreading a lot of old ground -- both in sci-fi and in effects/stunts.
I can't wait to see it!
also, I thought it'd be cool if they RE-DID T2, but the machines won. OR if the opening teaser was several failed time-travel attempts, and then this (the movie) is the one where the machines win.
I thoroughly enjoyed Schwarzenegger in the other 2, but he looks tired and old in this one...
Can't wait to see it -- come on July 2nd (or whatever)!

I think that the Terminator series are great. They all have some of my favorite action scenes in'em. T3 should be a decent movie, if not then i wouldnt be surprised, alot of sequels suck. Since it has been a while since the last movies debut the computer graphics should be awesome. And I am excited about the new plot and all because this may very well explain alot of stuff. I'm probably going to see it the first day it comes out. BTW dont get the game, it sucks. I just got a good idea too, TerminatorDoom!

Opulent said:

T3 stuff

true. though perhaps the end of T2 altered the date of the occurance.

also, when a nuclear blast goes off, it lets out an EMP which would have completely disabled all the machines. really fake looking cgi or not.

in the original T2 script, the terminator killed connor after killing the T-1000; he was actually a double agent for the machines. i would've liked that better.

monochrome said:

also, when a nuclear blast goes off, it lets out an EMP which would have completely disabled all the machines. really fake looking cgi or not.

I thought that only happened if you detonated a nuke in the upper atmosphere?

in the original T2 script, the terminator killed connor after killing the T-1000; he was actually a double agent for the machines. i would've liked that better.

Interesting. That would have made making a third one totally worthless, wouldn't it? I can't see Hollywood throwing that away.

DC

Doom-Child said:

I thought that only happened if you detonated a nuke in the upper atmosphere?

uhhh.. the difference between detonating a nuke on the ground and in the upper atmosphere is that there are no building/people/kitties in the upper atmosphere, so there isnt the wholesale destruction of land. however, the emp field is still fairly potent when the detonation occurs at this atmosphere.

EMP isn't talked about much in relation to nukes going off on the ground because people are usually more worried about skyscrapers falling over and people getting etched into the walls of their homes. however, the EMP is still there.

terminator 2 is one of the best things EVER. if they can get t3 right, it'll be even better. when i saw the preview with the nuke going off and the t-101s marching down that hill, it was like pure fucking heaven.

You never know, it might not suck.

There's a Terminator 2 "Extreme DVD" out there. It has a PC-only super-hi-res version. 1440x960. Listed system requirements are 3GHz machine, 64MB video card. It can run mostly smoothly on a 2.4 GHz, but it's still insane.

AndrewB said:

There's a Terminator 2 "Extreme DVD" out there.

And I would have bought a copy had I not already gotten the T2 Ultimate Edition DVD.

And there's no chance in hell my machine will be able to play that WM9 version on the second disc either.

I think Terminator 3 will be really bad. How on Earth is a foxy blonde female Terminator with a red catsuit (cameltoe!) and a push-up bra supposed to be scary? If I were Arnold, I'd fuck her instead of try to snap her spine.

The trailer pretty much confirmed what I feared. Cheesy one-liners (she'll be back..), poor special effects (the atomic explosion looks fake) and Arnold seems too old. This of course is nothing but speculation, but I fear the worst.

Oh yeah, I'm reminded of the female terminator again. Now I remember why I'm so cynical...

You can't just give a main action role to a personality-void supermodel and expect it to be good. True female action characters ought to have interesting personalities, like Jamie Lee Curtis in True Lies, or the mom in T2.

Can't wait for, been a huge fan of the first 2 since I saw them both.

I'm also wondering how the plot will pan out as well :)

Heh. Good thing i chose this av the other day.

I think the terminator series must be my favourite movie of all time and i'm certainly looking forward to seeing this movie. The general impression is that T3 will be different to the other two movies just like Aliens resurection was to the aliens trilogy.

I certainly hope not. Alien Resurrection may have been different from the rest of the series, but it was also the worst.

"Well it could go either way, arsenal could either win or lose this match"

Er, well from the trailer, some bits look REALLY FUCKING cool (Ie big explosions, shooting, kicking machine ass, cheesy lines, laser guns and those jerry-rigged 'turn a burnt out pickup into a tank' vehicles), but then some bits look like utter shit (Foxy female terminators ((per-leeze)), the surviving rebels waving big american flags about while some guy yells about "we must not misunderestimate these machines" or something, the fact arnold will probably be whinging about "when i where't lad, all this where grass" before too long)

However good Terminator 3 is, it'll never be as revolutionary as Terminator 2. I remember when I first watched T2 in the theatre, I spent like 5 minutes searching for my lower jaw while the credits roll. The visual effects in T2 was simply awesome (and still is), especially in the scene where the T-1000 is frozen by liquid nitrogen, and shattered into smithereens. The gap between the VFX quality of T1 and T2 is simply astounding. I, for one, don't think T3 can/will make such a graphical leap again.

The fact that T-X is a female bothers me too, since T2 had such great villain. Robert Patrick as T-1000 is a brilliant cast. He's unfeeling, relentless, even menacing. One moment he's smiling while conversing with bystanders on the streets, next moment he's all out to kill John Connor, with amazing ferocity. Cool and intimidating at the same time, just what a killing machine ought to be. And I really like the way he grits his teeth before jumping into action. :)

Kristanna Loken (sp?), on the other hand, looks amatuerish to me. She just doesn't seem to be fearsome. Maybe she's too young... But she's hot, I admit. :)

As of now, I'm still skeptical about T3. It might suck real bad, like most sequels do. However, I'd be happy if it's as good as TMR or X2.

monochrome said:

The possibility crossed my mind when I watched it, but that would've made the movie very short because the T-101 could've pulled his bike over and snapped John's neck the second the T1000's truck blew up. To have him go through the whole movie with countless opportunities to take him out and then do it only when the chief villan was killed would've been stupendously lame. It sounds like something out of a shitty horror movie.

You can't just give a main action role to a personality-void supermodel and expect it to be good. True female action characters ought to have interesting personalities, like Jamie Lee Curtis in True Lies, or the mom in T2.

True. I remember the chick in question in that horrible but still amusing live action Mortal Kombat series and thought she had potential. Another way of looking at it is that Terminator's aren't exactly renowned for their stunning personalities :)

How on Earth is a foxy blonde female Terminator with a red catsuit (cameltoe!) and a push-up bra supposed to be scary?

Ah, I think you'll find she's not supposed to be. The T-101 looked like he could crush you with one blow. The T-1000 was a stone faced freak who walked like he had an iron rod rammed up his ass. Terminators are cyborg assassins, and a hot chick has much better chance of getting closer to her mark than the aforementioned guys. And the closer you are, the easier the kill.

the nuke going off and the t-101s marching down that hill, it was like pure fucking heaven.

Me too.

though perhaps the end of T2 altered the date of the occurance.

More than likely. It's kind of lame from a dramatic standpoint, but the truth is Cyberdine almost assuredly had offsite or otherwise secured backups that survived the explosion. All it would take is for someone with Dyson's intelligence and drive to pick up the slack and then it's all back on, if slightly delayed.

when a nuclear blast goes off, it lets out an EMP which would have completely disabled all the machines.

Or maybe they figured out a way to shield them? Or maybe T3 is a movie, not a documentary? I don't mean that in a sarcastic way incidentaly, all I mean is lighten up a little. If you think too much about movies you'll never enjoy them.

I thoroughly enjoyed Schwarzenegger in the other 2, but he looks tired and old in this one

? In the preview I saw on TV last night he looks virtually identical to what he did in T2.

i felt the whole feel of the story was ruined by making t2 an action flick

Huh? The Terminator was an action flick. Well, sci-fi if you want to be particular but all that really means is action with weirder storylines. Near as I can tell, T2 was too. What were you hoping for, a romantic comedy? :)

JoelMurdoch said:

Ah, I think you'll find she's not supposed to be. The T-101 looked like he could crush you with one blow. The T-1000 was a stone faced freak who walked like he had an iron rod rammed up his ass. Terminators are cyborg assassins, and a hot chick has much better chance of getting closer to her mark than the aforementioned guys. And the closer you are, the easier the kill.

Isn't the whole point that you're actually trying to entertain the audience by making the enemy a scary character? Yes, it would be smart to build a foxy female robot to be able to get her close to the target (Ahnuld), but just look at those pictures. She's trying to look scary with that emotionless face, she tries to imitate Robert Patrick, but in my opinion it looks silly.

http://lavender.fortunecity.com/foxybrown/515/jp001.jpg

The second picture was a little too large.

Isn't the whole point that you're actually trying to entertain the audience by making the enemy a scary character?

Yes and no. Stark contrast can be dramatically effective, like that kid in Night of the Living Dead. The way she walked towards her Mom, arms outstretched as if she wanted to be picked up is the typical cute kid thing to do, but the truth is all too obvious. A similar pschological play could come in with the T-X - one minute she's all cute and girly, the next she's french kissing someone with a 9mm.

Disorder said:

She's trying to look scary with that emotionless face, she tries to imitate Robert Patrick, but in my opinion it looks silly.

I wouldn't say she looks silly, but Robert is unquestionably the superior villian. He's an excellent actor and a difficult act to follow.

[nitpick]
Just one thing: Arnold is a T-800 is both movies. The "Model 101" refers to the particular appearance of the tissue on top of the endoskeleton. If someone else played Arnold's role in T2, he would have been a Model 102 or something.

Considering that the T-600's had rubber skin, I don't think a T-101 would be all that great:)
[/nitpick]

david_a said:

[nitpick]
Just one thing: Arnold is a T-800 is both movies. The "Model 101" refers to the particular appearance of the tissue on top of the endoskeleton. If someone else played Arnold's role in T2, he would have been a Model 102 or something.

Considering that the T-600's had rubber skin, I don't think a T-101 would be all that great:)
[/nitpick]

Then why does he claim that he's a Cyberdyne systems model 101 in T2?

JoelMurdoch said:

More than likely. It's kind of lame from a dramatic standpoint, but the truth is Cyberdine almost assuredly had offsite or otherwise secured backups that survived the explosion. All it would take is for someone with Dyson's intelligence and drive to pick up the slack and then it's all back on, if slightly delayed.

well, even if they didn't, they still had part of arnold's arm that he left in the gears after the t-1000 kicked the hell out of him for a while.

dsm said:

Cos David_a got it mixed up. Model 101 is the endoskeleton model. Besides the endoskeleton, there are many other technological enhancements which ultimately make a Terminator more efficient. This other portion decides the T-[insert3digitnumberhere] model of a Terminator. Thus, the T-600 and T-800 have essentially the same endoskeleton model.

"She'll be back.." That kind of corny one liner crap is giving me serious doubts about this movie. Its not the same writers, nor directors.. so my hopes are null that this movie will be anything other than a over cgi, B rate squel.

I say it'll suck. That picture looks just silly- fucking TV movie silly. They should have done something a bit bolder, a bit more original, like had Chyna play the bitch or something... have a tough female character who actually LOOKS tough for once. There are strong supermodel like female characters all over the place now.

Don't get me wrong, a character doesn't need to look strong to be scary- as Robert Patrick proved in T2. But I actually thought Arnie played a scarier terminator in T1, so looking strong/tough can be effective too. Having a strong female actress could have been interesting because she would have looked kind of alien (you hardly ever see a strong-looking woman). The alien/unknown is often scary.

Personally, I'd rather they just had a really fat guy as the bad terminator, and they included a scene where he runs after a car like the T1000 did in T2..

Zoorado said:

Cos David_a got it mixed up. Model 101 is the endoskeleton model. Besides the endoskeleton, there are many other technological enhancements which ultimately make a Terminator more efficient. This other portion decides the T-[insert3digitnumberhere] model of a Terminator. Thus, the T-600 and T-800 have essentially the same endoskeleton model.

Ah thanks for the clarification - I always kinda wondered about this.

Personally, I'd rather they just had a really fat guy as the bad terminator, and they included a scene where he runs after a car like the T1000 did in T2..

A fat guy??? That's just tasteless - what kind of sick fuck are you??? ;-P

Seriously, I think a fat badguy would be anything but scary - even if he turns out to be capable of running like the wind and do all kinds of wicked moves. He would always look ridiculous and stupid - certainly not frightening.

You know something? I'm really tired of all those cheesy chicks in action movies - I find them more annoying than actually cool. Having said that, I loved Sarah Connor in T2. She seemed believable as a tough girl because she had muscles and somehow acted just right. You really got the impression that she was a badass woman.

But all those foxy "sex-image" girls are just plain annoying - and that's one thing that really turns me off about T3. As for the story, it might turn out much better than I had hoped.

Arnold looks cool in T3 though - possible even cooler than in T2. I dunno if I like the new John Connor - he just looks like a cute goody-goody boy, rather than the badass I always pictured him to be (/me thinks of the 'old' John Connor in the T2 introduction scene) - even the young John Connor in T2 gave me the impression of being a li'l tough guy.

But this guy just look too damn innocent and defenseless - no, I don't think I like him at all.

JoelMurdoch said:

Huh? The Terminator was an action flick. Well, sci-fi if you want to be particular but all that really means is action with weirder storylines. Near as I can tell, T2 was too. What were you hoping for, a romantic comedy? :)

actually, it was more of a sci-fi horror like alien was. even in the 80's in wasn't strongly an action flick, it focused more on the fear and fight for survival than the 'HOLY SHIT A TERMINATOR GET A SHITLOAD OF GUNS AND SHOOT!' :)

Zoorado said:

Where are you getting this from? These people agree with me:

http://www.goingfaster.com/term2029/technicaldata.html
http://www.spencer1984.com/my_models/trmnatrx.html

Saying that the 101 is the endoskeleton number doesn't make sense. The T-1000 should have been called the Model 150 or something in that case.

I guess it's kind of hard to argue about technicalities in science fiction movies though, they seem to ignore continuity quite frequently:)

dsm said:

? He is a model 101, a T-800 CSM-101.