Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
insertwackynamehere

I just got Half-Life....

and some of the files are .wad files! WTF? I had no idea there were still games with wad files! Can someone explain this, since I thought only Hexen, Hexen II, Heretic, Strife, Doom, Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Doom II Master Levels, and Final Doom used wad files.

Those wad files are where the textures (and only the textures) are stored. The maps are .bsp files like in Quake and Quake 2, and they are contained in a type of compression file called .pak files.

I had no idea there were still games with wad files!

"Still", you say, about a five years old game.

Who gives a crap if it's a WAD file, it's not like the extention dot-w-a-d is reserved for Doom games only.

insertwackynamehere said:

It's pretty cool! Or, one could argue it's f*ckin' awesome!!!

Yeah, the game is an awesome experience the first couple times you play. After that it gets a litle stale, but still worth keeping around.

the_Danarchist said:
Yeah, the game is an awesome experience the first couple times you play. After that it gets a litle stale, but still worth keeping around.

True. If you want an even better single player experience, though, try the Blue Shift add-on. It's very short, but it's easily the most fun of three (the other two being HL and Op Force). Plus it comes with the hi-res models.

EllipsusD said:

True. If you want an even better single player experience, though, try the Blue Shift add-on. It's very short, but it's easily the most fun of three (the other two being HL and Op Force). Plus it comes with the hi-res models.

Seconded.

Half life is funny to map for. Imo, it is also one of the best fps ever made. Of couse it never beat doom for me. But I have complete half life like 7times, it says something about how good it is. :P
Btw, the wad files is just textures, iirc.

I meant still as in a non-id/Raven game, that is relativley newer than most of the games I mentioned.

You know, Raven isn't really id's bitch, they just use tech created by id. You know who else used quake technology? Valve, for hl.

I heard it's "War Allocation Daemon" files.

WAD = Who Asked (you) Dumbass