Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Searcher

Windows 98 "send to" shortcut for Zdoom.

You can add a shortcut in Win 98 to zdoom from Windows Explorer.

In windows explorer, find, then right click on zdoom.exe and select create shortcut. Then drag and drop the shortcut into this folder:

C:\WINDOWS\SendTo\

My shortcut has the following properties:
D:\DOOM2\Zdoom\zdoom.exe -devparm

Your desired properties may be different, or be on a different drive.

Then from Windows Explorer, you can select your wad and right click, "send to" Zdoom. Zdoom will start that map on map 1. Warp if on a different level.

If you already know this, great, if not, it may help you. It is faster than dragging and dropping a wad onto a shortcut.

I have not yet tried this with the vanilla exe, but it will likely work.

The doom95.exe does not work because it brings up the launcher and does not start the wad.

I was adding a "sendto" shortcut to notepad on my system, and tried this out with Zdoom. Works great.

I bind / to screenshots. I also have * as addbot and - as something else, I forgot.

As Russell_P said, whats wrong with 'print screen'?

By default, it is bound to taking screen shots.

Here's something else:
When a wad is right-clicked on this computer, it says "Deepsea" and "Edit with XWE" and "play in ZdooM". Here's how you can add your own uh, "action", to that right click menu.

1-Open up windows explorer. Click tools->folder options, and click on the File Types tag.

2-See if you can find wad files. Click on it, then click the EDIT button.

3-That big box labeled "actions" should have the same things in it that are in that menu when you right click a .wad file.

4-Now you can make your own "action". Click new.

5-The first box is where the name of the action goes("play in zdoom" for example) and the second box is the program you want to perform the action (D:\doom\zdoom.exe for example). Ignore that DDE checkbox.

6-Now you have your action. If you want that to be the default action, (action that happens when any .wad file is DOUBLE clicked) just click on it, and click "set default". It will be in bold now.

That's all there is to it. Also, you can change the icon for .wad files here if ya wanna. Point that to the .ico or .exe that has the icon you want.

Russell_P said:

whats wrong with 'print screen'?

Doesn't that just take one screen? Can you just take all the screens you want from there?

With -devparm pushing F1 makes a screenie each time.

He has a good point. When I did some screenshots for Mock2 I did over 200 in one setting.

Of course, most were of me dead, facing a wall, or staring at the floor, but that's not the point.

Last I heard, you can take as many screenies as you want with print screen/sys rq.

Epyo said:

Last I heard, you can take as many screenies as you want with print screen/sys rq.

Try it. Push print screen ten times then go drop it on paint or whatever, then see what you have. Only way to do it is back out of the game if not in a window and drop it on paint EACH time then save. I run full screen, not in a window.

Doesn't all this extra work sound like a waste of time?

Backing out of the game each time you want to take a screenie. Then reloading it to take another etc. etc.

Searcher said:

Doesn't that just take one screen? Can you just take all the screens you want from there?

I think you can take as many as you want. Well, I've never hit any limit whilst using print screen.

Russell_P said:

I think you can take as many as you want. Well, I've never hit any limit whilst using print screen.

Your machine may work differently than mine, but I kind of doubt it. When I hit print screen more than once it only prints the last one selected. Then you have to go save it after you drop it on paint or whatever.

That is a lot of extra clicking and saving when F1 would have saved as many screens as you want in one setting. No extra clicking, no backing out of the game. No naming screen files. No brain damage.

But if print screen works for you - cool.

What do you mean by "drop on paint"? All print screen does for me is takes whatever is being viewed in zdoom (window or fullscreen) and saves it as DOOM0001.png, DOOM0002.png etc etc.

Epyo said:

What do you mean by "drop on paint"? All print screen does for me is takes whatever is being viewed in zdoom (window or fullscreen) and saves it as DOOM0001.png, DOOM0002.png etc etc.

Ok, I see, you have print screen bound to take screens inside of ZDoom, you CAN in fact take as many screens as you care to by pressing print screen, just like you, Enjay and Russell said.

My set up is slightly different than yours and Russell's. It is a huge pain in the ass for me to take screens without F1, because of my setup. Which I obviously need to re-think.

Dropping the screen on Paint means opening Windows Paint or PSP and pasteing the the print screen onto it, then nameing and saving. See what a pain in the ass?

Its my fault that my setup is different than yours but F1 works great for me. And -devparm works with most all the ports as well as vanilla, so I don't have to remember which key takes screens from one port to another.

So it looks like we are all correct based on our individual systems and setups.

-devparm also allows other command line paramaters. Some of which are and some are not useful. A listing of them in the the official doom spec.

another thing of note is that -devparm is for all DOOMs (even *shock* the real game) and print_screen is not.

Searcher: I thought you were a Leg man! (Legacy, that is :)

Yeah, as I think has now been established, when playing Zdoom, the print screen key is bound to making a screen grab in png format and storing the file in the zdoom directory. You can make as many of these grabs as you like. The print screen key does not have the normal windows action of copying the screen to the clipboard, and then over writing the clipboard with any subsequent presses.

On a slightly related note, a while back I needed a series of screen grabs to put together to make short animated snippets of gameplay. I made a console alias with a series of screen grab commands seperated by the wait command. I then bound the alias to a convenient key, switched off noisy screen shots (doesn't print the screen shot message) and just grabbed suitable moments of gameplay as and when required. All I had to do then was string them together in an animation program.

DEMOn said:

another thing of note is that -devparm is for all DOOMs (even *shock* the real game) and print_screen is not.

Searcher: I thought you were a Leg man! (Legacy, that is :)

Legacy is in fact my port of choice. It just looks and feels better on my system. But I do, 30% of the time, use zdoom and Prboom. I use -devparm on all those shortcuts for screen shots.

I did have trouble making this "send to" shortcut work for Legacy but not sure it is Legacy's fault. I need to work on it a little more to be sure.

Some really cool demos BTW on the recent DSDA page update. Good for hours of relaxing, and watching the some really talented players stomp the bad guys.