Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tetzlaff

world models and monster sprites?

Is there a way to have all the world items like map decoration (columns, barrels, candeliers...) and weapons / ammo being displayed as models, but having all the monsters displayed as the original sprites at the same time?

Because I don´t really like the monster models, though the modellers have done some respectable work, they just look too clumsy and not as stylish as the original monster sprites. But the map models are a great enhancement to the environment, so I would like to have monster sprites and map models mixed.

I tried deleting the monster models folder, but the result was that the monster then simply became invisible, the sprites don´t show up.

I'm in complete agreement. Either someone should make a definition file (I would but I have no clue how they work. I messed up something fearsome last time I tried) or that should be enabled in the game somehow. I'm guessing that a definition file would be the easiest thing to do.

You can select what kinds of models are displayed in jDoom. Why don't you see if you can figure out how it was done then put it in? Before you could select 'em jDoom I don't think there was a way to choose which ones. All or nothing is probably what you're stuck with.

Like I already mentioned, I actually tried deleting the monster models, but then the monsters simply became invisible. This is quite challenging but wasn´t exactly what I was looking for ;)

Grimm said:

Why don't you see if you can figure out how it was done then put it in? Before you could select 'em jDoom I don't think there was a way to choose which ones. All or nothing is probably what you're stuck with.

hmmm... I remember when I first installed JDoom or ZDoomGL models, not all of the sprites were redone as models already and still were sprites, so there must be a way to have both models and sprites mixed.

Tetzlaff said:

Like I already mentioned, I actually tried deleting the monster models, but then the monsters simply became invisible. This is quite challenging but wasn´t exactly what I was looking for ;)

Oops. I don't like reading posts, just posting.

My best guess would be that a file tells the game (or whatever) which of the sprites will be replaced with models. and since you deleted the models, but the file still says there are models for them, they show up as nothing.
but that is my guess, which is in fact worth nothing.

KoRn said:

My best guess would be that a file tells the game (or whatever) which of the sprites will be replaced with models. and since you deleted the models, but the file still says there are models for them, they show up as nothing.
but that is my guess, which is in fact worth nothing.

Oh but you guessed correctly ;)

With the old format for the md2.ini you would have to remove all the md2 definitions from the sprite frames. With the new format it will most likely be much easier to toggle models on/off. But I know nothing about the new format, so, we'll just have to wait and see...