Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Insomniak

UK Doom box poster

Ok, i need your guy's help.

I'm looking for a picture of the UK Ultimate Doom poster (the one with the big red imp face), and it has to be the one that's at Id Software. I've seen the picture in someone's (can't remember who) article about a tour they took of the Id envirnonment. Please help me find this.

heh.

I`ve got the one with all the signatures at the bottom with Ultimate. Though I live in Australia so would probably be a different poster.

My local virgin megastore had loads of them when "Ultimate" came out. They were displayed all over the store. I asked about the chances of getting one and they put my name on a list. I kept popping in to see when the posters were being taken down, but one day the posters were gone. The virgin staff gave them to someone else. :-(

deathbringer said:

Fucking PNG shit, use JPG you thick fuckers

Firstly, do some research and learn the difference between the two formats and the purpose of each. JPEG does not exist as an "alternative" to PNG. Peter Heinnman presented this for printing posters. Most postershops will want you to present the image in a losslessly compressed form and I certainly dont want JPEG artifacts on my wall. The original file was zipped TIFF, so PNG actually improved on that by 5 megabytes.

Secondly, if I see you make an inflammatory post like that again, you're banned.

bah, photoshop gives near-photo quiality pictures, with JPEG compression, oh wait, using photoshop would be 'selling out to the system', something the people who cooked up PNG one day (and then expected the whole internet to conform to thier will, writing poncey "open letters" to people who run sites such as webcomics, and then bombard webcomic writers with the letter in near-weekly emails, as is happening to me) wouldnt like!

deathbringer said:

bah, photoshop gives near-photo quiality pictures, with JPEG compression,

You miss the point entirely. JPEG was DESIGNED for photos. In photos, it doesnt matter if you lose a bit of detail due to the compression, as they were originally analog images. PNG is a lossless format for everything else, where it does matter.

To demonstrate the fact, I took the latest comic from your webcomic, converted it to 8-bit PNG and saved it:

84K 20030620.jpg
75K 20030620.png

As you can see, PNG creates a smaller image. It would probably be even smaller if it didnt have to store the irregularities introduced by the fact it was previously stored as JPEG (which are, incidentally, very obvious to my eye).

oh wait, using photoshop would be 'selling out to the system', something the people who cooked up PNG one day (and then expected the whole internet to conform to thier will, writing poncey "open letters" to people who run sites such as webcomics, and then bombard webcomic writers with the letter in near-weekly emails, as is happening to me) wouldnt like!

I believe you are confused. People are against GIFs, which contain patented techniques for compression. here is an interesting essay by one of your fellow web cartoonists about why this is bad. PNG was created as an alternative to GIF, mainly for this reason. Aside from this, PNG gives better compression, support for color depths of other than 8-bit and support for alpha channels for transparency. Even if you dont agree with the argument for avoiding GIFs because they contain patented algorithms, you should simply use PNG (instead of GIF) because it is a technically better format in every respect.

I would be interested to see the "open letter" complaining about you using JPEG. It sounds like someone is confused. The patent restrictions on GIF do not apply to JPEG.

To conclude: for photos, use JPEG. For everything else, use PNG. If you still dont understand the reasons behind this properly, do some research.

Fight the man! Use .bmp format!

Or be like RailGunner and use .txt format images. Supposedly.

Nanami said:

Or be like RailGunner and use .txt format images. Supposedly.

Actually, you can use that on some sites that dont allow remote linking for images, I think. If you rename the file to a .txt extension you can link to them, because the servers only check for remote linking when it has an image extension. But it works fine because most browsers ignore the mime types the server sends.

Thank you fraggle, but I was actually looking for this.

I refuse to be involved in this futile debate over .png vs. .jpg

There ient an open letter about using jpg vs png, which is what makes the emails so FUCKING annoying

right when i started on the internet i made some final fantasy animations in gif format, seems like someone is trying to still have a go at me for them!

deathbringer said:

There ient an open letter about using jpg vs png, which is what makes the emails so FUCKING annoying

right when i started on the internet i made some final fantasy animations in gif format, seems like someone is trying to still have a go at me for them!

Uh what?

Insomniak said:

Thank you fraggle, but I was actually looking for this.

I refuse to be involved in this futile debate over .png vs. .jpg

Uh? That IS the poster.

That BurnAllGifs.org leaves me with a few questions.

Are animated gifs (and one frame gifs made the same way with a transparent background) exempt?

Since the patents are going to expire worldwide in the next year, will that make the topic completely moot or is there the threat of renewal?

If there's no threat of renewal I suppose the purpose is to send a message to any companies that would try the same and to hurt that one while we can. Am I right?

Gokuma said:

That BurnAllGifs.org leaves me with a few questions.

Are animated gifs (and one frame gifs made the same way with a transparent background) exempt?

no, they are not exempt

[b]Since the patents are going to expire worldwide in the next year, will that make the topic completely moot or is there the threat of renewal?

If there's no threat of renewal I suppose the purpose is to send a message to any companies that would try the same and to hurt that one while we can. Am I right?

i guess.. burnallgifs was started many years ago, when gifs were much more poopular and the patent was much more of a threat.

fraggle said:

Actually, you can use that on some sites that dont allow remote linking for images, I think. If you rename the file to a .txt extension you can link to them, because the servers only check for remote linking when it has an image extension. But it works fine because most browsers ignore the mime types the server sends.

Yeah, like Geocitties. :P
Luckily they don't find out about that! :D
You can do it with music (midi,mp3,wav,ect..) too. :D

I was recently talking about posters with my aunt, and while we were on the subject, I told her about how I wanted this cool Doom poster they don't make anymore and asked her if she knew of any places that print them. As it turns out, her office has a plotting machine, which is capable of printing off the 18 meg fraggle so kindly linked to. So, I should have it tommorow, and possibly have it framed too.

Heh, rox.

Gokuma said:

Since the patents are going to expire worldwide in the next year, will that make the topic completely moot or is there the threat of renewal?

Kind of. Technically, though, PNG is still far superior to GIF so its still probably best to use it instead.