Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cyber-menace

Adding Textures

I have one final question before I can complete my current map. I have a space-like bitmap called SKY4 ready to be put into my wad! My question is, how do you add the texture to the wad and how can I set that texture up as my sky using the mapinfo lump?

If it's a 256x128 bitmap, just insert it as a patch with the name RSKY1 and it'll be used as the default sky texture.

cyber-menace said:

I have one final question before I can complete my current map. I have a space-like bitmap called SKY4 ready to be put into my wad! My question is, how do you add the texture to the wad and how can I set that texture up as my sky using the mapinfo lump?

It should be on the Mapinfo lump page, have you checked there?

cyber-menace said:

Adding the patch is easy, you just need a lump management program. There are two ways, really, either:
1. Enter the patch as SKY4 or whatever you want.
2. Create a texture called SKY4 with just that patch.
3. Put in the map def: sky1 SKY4 <scrollspeed>

Or if you don't want to bother with the TEXTURE1 lump:
1. Enter the patch as RSKY1. It automatically changes the SKY1 texture.
2. Put in the map def: sky1 SKY1 <scrollspeed>

Does the name of the patch wad file have to be Texture1? If so that probably solves my current problem! SKY4 is coming out as ASHWALL for some reason!

Well I figured out what was going on! I added the new sky! It's not too decorative, but it does have a spacy look to it! Now my map is FINISHED! I'll post a link for it shortly! It was added to the Cyberdemon Army project pack... one thing... making a patch for new textures adds quite a bit of stuff to your wad. It made my 2.5 MB file into a 6.5 MB file... I suppose that's what all those textures cause when they're in Bitmap form. oh well.

cyber-menace said:

It made my 2.5 MB file into a 6.5 MB file... I suppose that's what all those textures cause when they're in Bitmap form. oh well.

How many textures did you add? Sounds like you added more than just the sky.

O yes maybe I should have asked, but do you have to add all the normal textures to the patch wad as well? Because if not I think that will save me. I had quite a trial trying to get that sky working and the only time I've seen it work thus far is by having ALL of the textures + pnames instead of the entries, TEXTURE1, PNAMES, P_START, SKY4, and P_END

EDIT: Well I suppose that DOES work. You saved me big time there. Having a file that large. Well now adding textures has become even easier. Thank You Much!

cyber-menace said:

O yes maybe I should have asked, but do you have to add all the normal textures to the patch wad as well? Because if not I think that will save me. I had quite a trial trying to get that sky working and the only time I've seen it work thus far is by having ALL of the textures + pnames instead of the entries, TEXTURE1, PNAMES, P_START, SKY4, and P_END

You don't need any of the textures that haven't changed. Only the files that are different from the original ones are required, which means TEXTURE1, PNAMES and SKY4. P_START and P_END are unused markers in the WAD so you don't need them either. Putting all textures in the WAD is not only illegal - it annoys a lot of people who are downloading your file.

I fixed that little problem a bit ago. I uploaded my file to my site and now I just need my web host to update the file at the source. Once that's done it will only have the necessary files.