The Movies

What Movie Snacks Do You Get?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What Movie Snacks Do You Get?

• Popcorn, the unoriginal snack
    • Gummi Bears, Recees Pieces, or other cavity creating food
    • Better food like nachos or a pickle or something
    • Nothing, I just watch the movie

Well I went and saw Hulk. Was pretty cool, but I remembered why I always wait a week before seeing a movie. IT WAS FREAKING PACKED.

I wanted to go Friday but they were all sold out. So I went today (Saturday) at 1:00 to get a ticket for 2:10 and they were sold out! So I got a ticket for 3:50. I WOULD have gotten the tickets online but you can't do that for our theatre.

I arrived like 30 minutes early and still couldn't find two seats togther (I went with my step-dad), so I had to sit on the VERY back row on the right and he sat God knows where. The screen is really small back there.

And why do people insist on bringing their infants to a movie? They spend the whole time coming and leaving and taking the baby to and from the bathroom and don't get to even watch the movie. They stand in the back by the door and try to make the baby stop crying. That sounds like it would suck or something.

From now on I'm going to wait a week before seeing a movie like I usually do.

And let's throw in a random poll: What food do you get when you go?

As expensive as things are at the theatre, it doesn't make much sense to get anything there. I have taken in loaves of French Bread with a drink of some sort before, though.

I don't usually get popcorn, just a drink of some type sometimes.

But if I do get a snack it'll be popcorn. I hate most sweets.

if i get anything, it's popcorn just because it's something i can eat for a while without getting tired of too fast. usually i don't get anything though because it's pretty much a ripoff and i'm broke as hell.

and i don't know what kind of fancy-shmancy theatres you have in texas, but they don't sell nachos or pickles at the ones i go to.

Nothing usualy. Though if I go with certain people, we sometimes buy those horribly overpriced giant tubs of popcorn which you need a soda cup of equal or greater size to offset. Also, when I was a little kid, I used to go with my friend and his mom and we'd go to Thriftway and buy 3 candy bars for 99c then smuggle them into the theater.

Of course all caution is thrown to the wind whenever I go to the drive-in, and we always load up on candy, popcorn, and chips of every type imaginable. Speaking of the drive-in, my mom wants to wait until the Hulk is there to see it. God I love the drive-in. That's one thing that came out of 40s-50s pop culture that doesn't suck.

[Granpasimpson] Movies!? What a rip-off! I don't have to put up with this! *falls asleep* [/granpasimpson]

popcorn\cola and hotdog for me.

I don't know why the hell anyone would buy food at a movie theater. Stick some a box of jujubes down your pants and just tell the ticket taker you're happy to see him. Just ask Cyb.

the thread never stated it couldn't be food you smuggled in. i regularly smuggle in some junior mints myself.

heh, one time a few friends of mine brought beer into the theatre, and one of them tried putting it into the cupholder (!), which it obviously fell right through and made a loud clink as it hit the ground (but didn't shatter). everyone in the theatre broke up laughing, but somehow he avoided getting busted (he was underage as well).

Go to get food, look around, all my friends have gone in without me, get out of qeure for food, go into movie, feel thirsty due to drooling over my brothers sexy friends...XD

Heh, no one cares at movies over here if you bring your own food. At least, no one's ever told me to hand over my Wine Gums.

I used to take things like wine gums to the movies but typically I'd eaten them before the trailers were over. Food at the movies is indeed a gross rip-off, so I usually never buy anything there.

There is a theatre called Showcase on the other side of town that has a system called Premier Seats. Basically, you sit in elevated seats at the back of the auditorium, seperated with a cordon and an attendant. The seats are uber-comfortable, and are in pairs so it's a great place to take a girl. You get the best view, and a Pepsi or whatever and a large popcorn is included in the ticket price, which is £10 (that's $16 Nanami). It may be twice as expensive as usual, but I think it's worth it to get away from the kids (over 18s only) and to be able to properly snuggle up with your partner without feeling slightly weird. You enjoy the movie more too. I saw Anger Management twice and enjoyed the premier seat viewing more.

I don't eat small things in packets like skittles, they always explode all over me when I try to open them.
Same with drinks!

I like drinking beer or soda when watching a movie, combined with a bag of chips/crisps, whatever you call them.

Heh, I thought this thread was going to be about the kick arse game Peter Molyneux is currently making of the same name :)

Nanami said:

And why do people insist on bringing their infants to a movie? They spend the whole time coming and leaving and taking the baby to and from the bathroom and don't get to even watch the movie. They stand in the back by the door and try to make the baby stop crying. That sounds like it would suck or something.

That's why I almost never go to see a film before 9pm ;)

And let's throw in a random poll: What food do you get when you go?

I usually only get a drink, and even then only rarely because everything's so darned expesnvie there. BTW, you missed something from your poll that one of my friends always gets, namely ice cream. And what about hotdogs? I dunno about the US, but here in the UK they're the second favourite cinema snack after popcorn :)

Popcorn I suppose, but I very rarely go to a cinema (that's the British word for a movie theatre). In fact, the last time I went to one might have been in Seattle, nearly 7 years ago.

Oddest movie-going thing I recall was on a ferry from Esbjerg to Harwich (a 19-hour crossing): I was the only person watching one of the films, which felt pretty weird. The film in question was "Body of Evidence", so maybe everyone else knew it was crap, or else they didn't want to be thought of as perverts. XD

Heh, food is eXpensive at the cinemas, here... so i have die from starvation... just look at my ico...

I dont like popcorn. I usually get a box of Raisinettes (sp?). But they're about 5 dollars in the theatre now.

There is a theatre called Showcase on the other side of town that has a system called Premier Seats. Basically, you sit in elevated seats at the back of the auditorium, seperated with a cordon and an attendant. The seats are uber-comfortable, and are in pairs so it's a great place to take a girl.

To borrow a phrase, that sounds bloody brilliant! The closest thing I've found to that around here is when the place is packed and I have to sit way up in a top corner. No one ever sits up there so the floors is all clean and the seat cushions are still nice a cushy. On teh down side you'r estuck in a corner. On teh upside, you don't have to worry about some psycho sitting behind you smashing you in the face when you stand up in Lord of the Rings 2 and tell them to shut the fuck up. :p I still haven't used my free movie tickets from that little fiasco yet. I think I'll use a couple of 'em on XMEN 2 and Matrix 2...

Usually a hotdog and a drink... occasionally popcorn. My girlfriend usually gets a big bag of pick 'n mix (lots of random sweets like cola bottles, etc.) and we usually share.

Well my turn to share.

Usually I get a large drink and a large popcorn and share both with whoever's there. No ice in the soda. In fact, I always say "no ice" wherever I go because people are happy to do it for you, and you get 400x more soda that way.

Sometimes I get candy, but rarely. I really don't go see movies often.

Last time I went to a movie before this, they had an ad during the previews for Recess Pieces, and my step-sister says "Those look good, I'm going to get some," so we both went up to get some and... they didn't have any! How lame is that? I got some Raisinettes instead, heh.

speaking as someone who worked in a theater for 6 months a few years ago, don't buy the food there

first off it's a massive fucking rip off which nicely compliments the $9+ ticket (around here at least, though you can find theaters with cheaper and/or mantine prices).

second off the popcorn is stored in a big drawer or something, and when it's not behind the counter it's in a giant bag in some storage room for however long (weeks usually), though in kernal form of course.

when it's made you essentially stick it in this big pot and then pour in a bunch of oil and some powder shit that gives it flavor (mostly salt flavor).

and whatever popcorn is left over at the end of the day is put into a big ass garbage bag and then sold the next day. usually it's gone after the first couple shows, but I'm sure a lot of it still lingers

the candy is also a massive ripoff. I mean, it's like $4 for like six junior mints when you can go to any grocery or drug store and buy a huge bag for like $1.

also, never, ever, under NO circumstances buy a hot dog at a movie theater. They sit out there all goddamn day and most of the time the ones that aren't sold are put back into the fridge and sold the next day. and that keeps happening so if you do buy a hot dog there's a good chance it's a few days old (mind you it hasn't gone bad, it's just old)

so yeah, what you do is hide some candy on you, but make sure it's in a bag or your pocket or something like that, though most of the time the doorperson (that's fancy talk for 'ticket ripper') won't give a rats ass

The candy at theatres are a big rip off, but the popcorn is even worse. Sometimes i go to a ghetto theater where tickets are 50 cents and they have a bunch of old movies such as spider man and episode 2.

I don't trust popcorn no more, not since I heard the local cinema employees were jackin' off in it.
O_o
{~}
/Me gets ready to hurl!

The last movie I saw was X2 on opening night. We got there at about 10:30 and bought a box of Red Hots to eat while standing in the queue. Didn't buy anything for the movie itself.

I learned my lesson about theatre snacks when I put money down for a big bag of candy, then spilled most of it. :(