Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

The /newstuff Chronicles #134

It's that time of the week again. Newstuff time! Since Hyena retired (ha ha, he's old) I'll be doing /newstuff this week. Whatever you want to make of that is fine. Anyways, this week brings a couple nice maps, though nothing overly amazing, and I think this is the first time I've done a t/nc without a Chris Hansen map in the mix. It feels weird to me too, Chris :P Anyway, on to the reviews!!

• The Cross - r6144
    16k - doom2.exe - SP - (img)(img)
    As stated in the text file (way at the bottom, I almost missed it) this is the author's first completed map. As is often the case with first maps, it's rather square and underdetailed, though the author does show some talent for monster placement and balance. Playing it on UV is fairly hard (for me anyway), as monsters are constantly coming out of the walls and other places... I think. I'm still not entirely sure where all of them came from actually. In terms of looks the map isn't too great, but it's got some decent gameplay, so if the screenshots don't put you off you may want to check it out.

• The Power Supply - Eye del Cul
    63k - doom2.exe - SP - (img)(img)
    This one is a mediumish sized tech map (I guess that's the theme name, it's all silver and blue and stuff) with some stone stuff thrown in for good measure. While the map isn't immensely detailed anywhere, what detail it does have is nice. The map also plays well, though it's not as hard as 'The Cross' and it's still fun to play, with new monsters appearing in your path as you progress. Also, I never quite understood the whole "here's a small silver door behind the player start to signify where they came from" thing, but to each his own I guess.

• Outpost of Hell 2 - The Fortress - Alberto 'Ismaele' Sposito
    793k - ZDoom - SP - (img)(img)(img)
    One map split into two due to "WadAuthor limitations and errors". The maps are mostly green bricks and marble and such, with some wood and stuff tossed in. The first map takes place in some sort of partial office, partial graveyard with catacombs and a church (the catacombs are in red brick for a change). The second map is a huge fortress dealie. Personally I liked the first map better. It seemed more spooky and had much better lighting and such than the second map, which is one of those maps that looks weird because it's so tall (ie, high ceiling heights). Still, both maps were good fun, though I did run out of shells in the very beginning and had to pistol a few cacodemons (until I mad dashed for a chaingun a few rooms away), and the number of monsters in the beginning of the second map is a bit nutty and chaotic compared to the rest of the map(s). Also there are a bunch of holes you can't get out of that don't kill you, which is always annoying as all hell (don't jump into any open graves, except in the catacombs...). All in all some nice maps that should take agood chunk of your time on this lovely Sunday.

• Waste Treatment Center #911 - Owen 'Sarge Baldy' Lloyd
    110k - Limit Removing Port/Ultimate Doom - SP - (img)(img)(img)
    Although I think the level name is in poor taste, the map itself is nice, if not short and rather easy. The monster count is low and mostly limited to smaller monsters (and one baron). I never had any issues with ammo or health either, and veteran doomers will probably find this map quite easy, though I imagine it would be a nice challenge for pacifist or tyson runs. Also this is the second version of the map, though the text file doesn't make note of what's changed (I believe just some error cleanup), so hide it from deathz0r!

• Biotech Stuff - Mouse
    3.77M - Port With Sprite Scaling - N/A - N/A
    For whatever reason the idgames db refuses to show this one (and the next one), but it does exist, so I directly linked the zip file. This is just a set of unused "Giger'esque sprites" (hires ones as well) that you may or may not want to use in any project you might have. That's it!

• Aphrodite - Ralph Mayrell
    230k - Legacy - SP - (img)
    Yick. Misaligned textures (sometimes it almost looks like they were misaligned on purpose), weird hom and slimetrail errors, ugly use of everything. It's just full of weird newbie errors, plus excessive use of 3d floors and a lot of cramped areas. Skip it unless you, uh, really like Legacy specific maps.

• Run & Kill - Alberto 'Ismaele' Sposito
    218k - doom2.exe - SP - (img)(img)(img)
    From the man who brought you Outpost 2, here's another map! This one isn't quite as detailed as the last set, but it's not what I'd call void of detail as there are some nice things. It's also a fair bit harder, as Ismaele didn't skimp on the chaingunners this time. The text file also warns that if you try and kill everything you may run out of ammo. I managed to keep my ammo far enough from empty most of the time (probably because the berserk is helpful against specters in the dark...yep, I love fisting specters in the dark), but your mileage may vary. Not as good as the first map of Outpost 2, but probably more fun and also more of a challenge.

Non-DW staff fp! And props to... everyone who came here to get fp :)

Edit: Nice reviews Cyb! I guess meta.zip got moved into /newstuff a bit too late :(

Karthik said:

Non-DW staff fp! And props to... everyone who came here to get fp :)

Edit: Nice reviews Cyb! I guess meta.zip got moved into /newstuff a bit too late :(

err, yeah it's not because I totally missed it hehe

doh

you forgot to point out that 'Outpost of Hell 2 - The Fortress' is for doom2.

Cyb said:

Also this is the second version of the map, though the text file doesn't make note of what's changed

yeah maybe i should have pointed it out. i fixed a y-alignment no one else would have possibly noticed because it was in a really dark room, added a +1 y, +1 x alignment to the sides of the exit switch so it would look a bit better, cleaned it up with deepsea, tidied up the text file a bit, and merged wtcgfx.wad into wtc911.wad to make it a bit more convenient.

Damn it, Cyb! I'm sorry about that! Man, I better get a move on then and have one ready for you next time! How does "Pandemonium" sound? Remember people: Things mustn't change, they must stay the same, always! Change is bad!

Grogglogobofink said:

you forgot to point out that 'Outpost of Hell 2 - The Fortress' is for doom2.

if it's not stated, assume doom2 (since that's what the vast majority of wads are made for)

also re: meta.wad, I just played through it. that sucker is hard, but quite awesome looking, too bad I missed downloading it earlier today when I checked /newstuff again, I guess it's in deathz0r's hands next week

I really liked meta.wad: very well-balanced gameplay (ammo and health tight throughout) and plenty of fair but genuinely dangerous surprises right up to the end. Lots of "if I miss with this next shot I'm dead" moments. Having said that, I missed lots of secrets, so maybe it would have been a bit gentler if I had found them. :)

Assmaster said:

Cyb said:

I love fisting specters

OMG!

I second that.

Cyb said:

Also, I never quite understood the whole "here's a small silver door behind the player start to signify where they came from" thing, but to each his own I guess.

Ya know... I just suddenly realized that I've never used one of those before. Then again, there's only one level where I guess I need it. Hmm...

Juente.wad was quite good (and cross wasn't). And the Waste Treatment map is a re-release (I reviewed it just before Chrimbo) and yes, the filename is a bit off. I first saw the file in incoming and thought 'what sort of twisted wad is it?' but then played it and saw that it wasn't. (come to think of it, Ty would probably have nuked it straightaway if it had been what I thought it might have been)

/me goes off to play Metamorphosis

Cyb said:

I never quite understood the whole "here's a small silver door behind the player start to signify where they came from" thing

well it made sense in one of the doom alphas, when the exit rooms had one of those doors and a switch (like wtc911). i wish they'd kept it that way, a switch by itself as an exit seems kind of retarded.

I'm a fan of the little silver doors at start point. It's Doomy.

Use3D said:

I'm a fan of the little silver doors at start point. It's Doomy.

yeah me too. a doom map doesn't feel quite right without one, to me. at least, if it's a techy kind of map. and whenever i see one of those doors that AREN'T used as a start door, it looks strange to me.

Grogglogobofink said:

whenever i see one of those doors that AREN'T used as a start door, it looks strange to me.

Me too!

Cyb said:

fp!

props and such

You may not have fp cookie if you are the thread starter! Bad Cyb!

Karthik gets this week's delicious cookie. I hope you like... oreos!

oreos.jpg

> yep, I love fisting specters in the dark

wow... Can I use it for my signature?

well it made sense in one of the doom alphas, when the exit rooms had one of those doors and a switch (like wtc911). i wish they'd kept it that way, a switch by itself as an exit seems kind of retarded.

Yes, that always did bug me. (Except, you know, when I first played Doom.)

Well, we can't find anything to complain about I guess.

pritch said:

cookies

ugh, what are those, wax oreos?

I think you were a wee bit harsh to aphrodite. It has masses of detail and is quite a complicated little map especially for a newbie.
I dont really like it much myself but Im impressed with the effort the author put into it and would encourage him to make more maps, maybe less cramped/claustrophobic, more tastefully textured ones. Its a fine effort but could do with some tidying up and having the nodes built with zennode.

Maybe its because I dont have a childish hate campaign against Legacy.

Waste treatment center, 6 minutes, took some time but didn't look for the secret, of fun. The best of the 4 .
I like the corridor of The Power Supply, good place to start. I don't save and that's sometimes pity. Meta is a good map but it's not that great that it can begg for endless(3,3...) repeats. Always had concentration problems "Hyperactief*" ,being hyperactive, called in Dutch. So Run & Kill is a natural excercise but lost my concentration, too plain.
* adhd

mystic said:

Maybe its because I dont have a childish hate campaign against Legacy.

I didn't say a goddamn thing about Legacy. I didn't like the map for the very reasons you listed. I don't know how you got 'I hate this map because it's for Legacy' out of my review, but please stop putting words in my mouth.

Quick, new topic before this spirals into a big pile of shit:

Skulltag rocks now go play it online gaddammit. And start making more botmatching levels for it. I've played the shit out of the levels that come with it an I want some new ones. I'd make some myself but I'm too busy working on Leg... errr something else. :)

whats skulltag??

Aha, I knew it, so there was a hot chick in Hanson, hehehe I knew I wasnt gay.

Hey Cyb, sorry if I was wrong about your views about Legacy wads, I never actually put words in your mouth though, just had a little dig to stir up the usual bunch of (insert a port here) zealots. Nothing like a good scrap to attract folk to newstuff (or any other thread).

Im hoping to release a new Legacy wad next week so you can get back at me then.