Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
tsareppsun

Isn't this intresting.......!? Part Deux

I was messing around the web about mars and it's moons, and happen to find this intresting page. Even though it's way too late to amount to anything at this point, being the game is pretty close to finish. But ahh, what the hell....Check this link out.
http://members.aol.com/dsfportree/IN02-1.htm

id, I'm hopeing you seeing this...........

Tsar,

Well, there are things that suggest that iD ain't leaving Phobos out as base for a small station:
On ua-corp.com there was a code that several people tried to crack. Eventually, somebody did crack that code and found a message which read something along the lines of: "Lost contact with Phobos Routing Station"
If this was a deliberate hint left by iD, then it'll most likely mean that in Doom 3, there will be a small space station on Phobos which has a minor (if not larger) role in Doom 3's overall storyline.

But anyway, having thought about it for months since hearing that Doom 3 will take place on Mars, I've come to the conclusion that it is in fact much better to have the whole base and main setting on Mars itself. I mean think about it:
1) Mars provides a much more interesting landscape than Phobos could - the reddish colour of the surface alone adds something interesting to it, and although outdoor environments won't play a major role in Doom 3, you'll still be able to enjoy the scenery through windows.
2) Mars is much larger than Phobos, providing much more space for a serious research/military base. This leaves room for what amounts to an entire city of scientific structures, military structures and mining facilities. Phobos may be well suited for a small station, but a huge base like the one involved in the Doom 3 story is out of the question.

And then there's an entirely different thing to take into consideration: This site might not be a reliable source. To me, it looks like some private page and not an official page. Now I've learnt not to trust pages belonging to private persons, unless it's clear that the site is reliable nonetheless, so I wouldn't trust this one until I've seen some trustworthy proof.

Recently, I saw a programme on TV about space, which said all sorts of interesting stuff, like the ion engine being the next big thing to use in space crafts. Very impressive, until you do some serious research on the subject. My younger brother, who's a bit of a space nut, told me that this ion engine isn't all that great because it accellerates much too slowly to be worth it.
By the time it'd take an ion engine-driven craft to escape Earth's gravity, a space craft with a conventional chemical engine would be close to reaching Mars.
What is my point? My point is that not everything you hear is as good as it sounds, or as true as it may seem.

A routing station on Phobos actually makes somewhat sense.

I would have believed that Phobos was a place where spaceships docked to have their cargo and passagers transferred to smaller atmospheric shuttles.

Earth's own moon would serve the same purpouse.

dsm said:
2) Mars is much larger than Phobos, providing much more space for a serious research/military base. This leaves room for what amounts to an entire city of scientific structures, military structures and mining facilities. Phobos may be well suited for a small station, but a huge base like the one involved in the Doom 3 story is out of the question.[/B]

Huge spacestation? Just how "BIG" do you believe the D3 mars station is? From what is shown in the video just past the id/activision logos the station doesn't look big at all.(At least NOT to me.) The vid didn't show that much of a overhead view of complex. and I'm sure that the overall bulk of the station is buried underground. But as to what you said about Phobos being too small for a spacestation? Phobos is at least 17 by 12 miles around. I mean com'on, How many acres or miles you think is needed to build a spacestation?

dsm said:
Recently, I saw a programme on TV about space, which said all sorts of interesting stuff, like the ion engine being the next big thing to use in space crafts. Very impressive, until you do some serious research on the subject. My younger brother, who's a bit of a space nut, told me that this ion engine isn't all that great because it accellerates much too slowly to be worth it.
By the time it'd take an ion engine-driven craft to escape Earth's gravity, a space craft with a conventional chemical engine would be close to reaching Mars.
What is my point? My point is that not everything you hear is as good as it sounds, or as true as it may seem. [/B]

I used to watch a program long ago that used to come on sunday morinings on the Sci-Fi channel called "INSIDE SPACE"(I wonder why they took that off the air?) They talked about a very fast "PLASMA" rocket engine they're making that'll cut the normal travel time to mars almost in half. It's called (VASIMR)Variable Specific Magnetoplasma Rocket. If Dr. Franklin Chang-Diaz's plasma engine project succeedes, We'll be going to mars sooner than you think. You should read up on it, it's really uplifting.

I also saw the stuff on the ion drive. A ship like that would not be launched from Earth's surface, but from orbit. Escaping Earth's gravity would not take weeks, since it is near the outer reach of Earth's gravity to begin with (i do know that the gravity well created by Earth extends quite a ways, but after so far the effect is negligable). dsm, no offense but if you don't trust private sites, how do you know the information that your brother gives you is accurate? Even if he is a space nut, my brother's a weather nut and sometimes I'm subject to a certain degree of exaggeration. Now if you know your brother gets his facts from a reliable source, fine, I'm just asking^

I look at it like this: so many theories and ideas about how to move a spaceship fast have come and gone that I'm not going to pay attention to it... until they actually use it (in other words, it works) I don't give a fuck how big a hard-on scientists gets for one of their works in progress. Sometimes they get these projects 95% done and then they remember one of the laws of physics and they haveta scratch it.

The_Aeromaster said:

dsm, no offense but if you don't trust private sites, how do you know the information that your brother gives you is accurate? Even if he is a space nut, my brother's a weather nut and sometimes I'm subject to a certain degree of exaggeration. Now if you know your brother gets his facts from a reliable source, fine, I'm just asking^

I don't trust my brother either - I'm just saying that there are two views and this basically suggests that you can never be certain of anything. Though I do admit that I find my bro more reliable than some TV programme, simply because I know that he sticks to official sources (like e.g. esa.int. and NASA's own website which I've 'conveniently' forgotten the url to).

Huge spacestation? Just how "BIG" do you believe the D3 mars station is? From what is shown in the video just past the id/activision logos the station doesn't look big at all.(At least NOT to me.) The vid didn't show that much of a overhead view of complex. and I'm sure that the overall bulk of the station is buried underground. But as to what you said about Phobos being too small for a spacestation? Phobos is at least 17 by 12 miles around. I mean com'on, How many acres or miles you think is needed to build a spacestation?

I saw an alpha screenshot of part of the space station. To my eyes, it looked pretty damn big. Secondly, take into consideration that Doom 3 is going to be made up of 30 maps total, the majority of those taking place on Mars - say, if about 25 of these maps take place on Mars and if all those maps are huge, then it'd mean that we've got a pretty large space station on our hands - we don't need visuals to prove that.

Phobos is 17 by 12 miles around yes, but take into consideration that it's a damn ball of rock. That means that the surface is hardly flat enough to allow for anything that big - plus, building a large base there would most likely fuck up with the moon somehow as it causes discrepencies in the moon's weight (and surface) and would most likely make it crash down on Mars.

I've seen pictures of Phobos and frankly, it looks like its surface is far too rugged to allow for a large station. A small station seems more feasible - I would imagine that a small station could be constructed in Phobos' crater.

I'm not much of a science person myself, but I've seen too many discussions about the feasibility of Phobos as a home for a space station, and I remember a great deal of the various arguments.

Funny how I seem to be switching sides - half a year ago, I would be the one arguing for Phobos as a believable site for a base *chuckles*

It's kinda wierd that we are here discussing Ion drives, Proton engines etc.... I would have added gravity amplification tech to the list but while we are here rambling, our own John Carmack is trying to build a real spacecraft that can carry men into orbit.

What a bloke!!! Hands down. Fuck all this future research large-scale billion-dollar shit. Carmack is building one right now looking to win the X-Prize.... armadilloaerospace.com

PS: Kinda quiet Doom3-wise lately huh
?

Dubh said:

Carmack is building one right now looking to win the X-Prize...

Will Carmack conquer Mars before NASA does?
Maybe he want's to go there and build a portal...