Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

ZETH Goes Modern

Michael Zöller has let us know about a Win32 ZETH port in the works by himself and Chris Robinson. This port uses most of the original DOS code, but was ported to the Allegro library to allow it to run in Windows, and possibly Linux in the future. You can go to the page and grab a beta copy of the Windows port, and be sure to send in feedback and bug reports.

Hope it turns out bugfree and easy to use, and adds features requested by doom community, then it would be my ideal.

My copy of DETH works fine in win98se, it will be nice if they get ZETH working too, Ive never made a zdoom specific level yet but wouldnt mind having a go. I guess I should grab a newer version, the one I have is more than a year old.

Looks good. The only complains I got from the short look I had on it are:

1. scrolling in windowed mode is a pain in the ass
2. drawing the screen is flickering. How about using a double buffer?

BTW, OMG it's msquid!

If the windowed mode scrolling is hard, how about adding an option to use the 3rd mouse button for it, something like Deepsea, but maybe with reverse movement.

omg sweet! i've been looking for an alternative to doomcad, and this is one of two possibilities (the other being doombuilder)

/me downloads

Having played around with it for a while, I really like what they have... other than the scrolling issue. :P

My only problem being it randomly freezes. :( I'm eagerly awaiting a stable release.

boris said:

Looks good. The only complains I got from the short look I had on it are:

1. scrolling in windowed mode is a pain in the ass
2. drawing the screen is flickering. How about using a double buffer?

BTW, OMG it's msquid!

Good ideas!

the scrolling is because our machines are too fast, Ive had that problem in DETH since I upgraded.

This is very, very cool. Deth was an invaluable tool to me, and when I upgraded to win2k I was no longer able to use it. I hope Zeth isn't drastically different, time to download.

AirRaid said:

Having played around with it for a while, I really like what they have... other than the scrolling issue. :P

yeah, i don't like that either. i don't like mouse scroll at all, keyboard scroll irritates me less. is there any way to use that instead?

i also don't like how you have to select verts numbers to connect them, can't i just make linedefs between them by drawing O_o

O_o

Click vertices then hit Insert to make linedef(s) between them. Can't fugure if there's a way to make closed shapes this way like you can in WinDEU tho.

AirRaid said:

Click vertices then hit Insert to make linedef(s) between them. Can't fugure if there's a way to make closed shapes this way like you can in WinDEU tho.

yeah, slayer or someone explained that to me on IRC. i don't particularly like it though, doomcad just lets me place dots and then i get to draw lines between them, which seems more common sense to me. and i wish there were an option for a keyboard scroll (or keyboard jump scroll like in doomcad), mouse scroll is a terrible pain in the ass for me, and one of the main reasons i'm not already using something like deepsea.

thank you all for the many many comments. as for the mayor request of keyboard scrolling - actually already the original DETH has it implemented. it's not very smoth, though. keys are INS/DEL/POS1/END