Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Heretics Son

So I broke out my dads wolf3d 3.5 disks today... heres what I think..

I don't know what it is... what was so enchanting about it... but I loved it. My dad found it in his old computer desk, and said to me "Give this a run". I did.. and It amazes me how far Doom came along after Wolf3D. I mean... you can see all the little problems of Wolf3D, and how Doom improved on them so much. Im not dissing Wolf3D. In fact, this is the first time I've played it.. and I loved it. I don't know what it is.. Im sitting here, playing Doom, Wolf3D, Chasm: the rift.. The original quake.. and everyone else is playing Unreal 2, or Halo. tell me... am I wierd for this??

lol, all kidding aside though. I remember when my dad got Wolf3D.. Im 16 now.. he got it in 1993.. so that made me... 6? anyway, my mom would have a shitfit when he played it, and ordered him not to play it in front of me. When she went to work, he used to let me watch him play it. in a word, it was cool.

yeah the old days, back when first person shooters were fresh and original. Unlike the horrendous Unreal2.

Replace Wolfenstein with Quake (Team Fortress actually), and you have my list of games that I play.

If you enjoy Wolfenstien then you should check out the OpenGL version. It's really radical. Here's a link to where you can find it. Don't bitch if the link doesnt work, it's the link in the readme, so it *should* be the right one: http://wolfgl.narod.ru

When I beat the Xbox version of RtCW, it unlocked the whole (non-Spear of Destiny) Wolf3d. Frighteningly enough, I played through the 50+ levels and enjoyed it a good deal. There's something...er...magical about playing it again.

BlackFish said:

heh.

my dad allowed me to play duke3d with adult mode on.

yeah, my mom bitched a bit.

May I ask as to when this was? If it were recently, then I have to admit that you are a deprived child. ;P

Playing Wolf3d is like visiting an old friend for me, you know? so many memories...
My mum likes it more than me though, she loves killing things in shoot'em ups more than any persoj I have ever met. When ever she sees me on Wolf, Doom...and Lemmings she kicks me off and steals the game.

Use3D said:

yeah the old days, back when first person shooters were fresh and original. Unlike the horrendous Unreal2.

Wolf 3D was hardly original. ID freely admit it was pretty much simply a first person version of the old Castle Wolfenstein game. Putting it another way, it was very similar to Catacomb Abyss, only with better sound, 256 colours and Nazis instead of fantasy monsters.

I remember playing an FPS called simply "maze" on the old BBC micro (32k of ram, ph33r!) which was pretty much the same as wolf3d, just the turning wasnt as smooth (it did have an automap though!)

Even Doom was accused of being unoriginal by many gaming magazines at its time. Heh... how would one know FPSs were going to be the most prolific genre of game ten years from then? Hell, even cell phones have them!

Heh, the most revolutionary things about Wolf3d/Doom was how fast they ran on the hardware at the time. Carmack's a genius when it comes to that stuff ;)

And I don't generally play many newer FPS'es, not because they suck necessarily, but more because they just don't interest me any more. I'd much rather play a good RPG :P

DOOM Anomaly said:

May I ask as to when this was? If it were recently, then I have to admit that you are a deprived child. ;P

I was 5 then.
im 14 now.

I actully never played wolf3d when i was younger I just jumped to doom when we finnaly got our first computer I was only like 6 or somthing at the time. My parents never really cared to much about the gore I was watching rated r movies when I was 5 so yea.
Anyway afterwards I played wolf3d alot along with all the dooms and they continue to be my main source of entertainment...I dunno I dont think its weird I think its just that the first reaction you got from those games was so powerfull it never really left you and you just continue to enjoy them more even with the "bigger and better" out now.

I never actually played wolf3d... well I did a couple times, but they weren't really considered playing.
first was for SNES a long time ago.. and I had to cheat because I had no skill at all (3-5 years later when doom 64 came out, I couldn't get past level 4 on difficulty one, lol. I sucked a lot)
I tried to play it last year, but for some reason, the game wasn't working the right way, so it was hard to play.
and then I tried to play the TC for doom, but the links never worked.
it will be something I will try to play through when I get a computer of my own though.

SlayeR said:

Heh, the most revolutionary things about Wolf3d/Doom was how fast they ran on the hardware at the time. Carmack's a genius when it comes to that stuff ;)

Agreed. And he's still doing it!~

NiGHTMARE said:

Wolf 3D was hardly original. ID freely admit it was pretty much simply a first person version of the old Castle Wolfenstein game. Putting it another way, it was very similar to Catacomb Abyss, only with better sound, 256 colours and Nazis instead of fantasy monsters.

Yes but the whole concept of first person shooters was still new and exciting.

Heh, I cant believe I actually played through that entire game. 60 Friggin' levels IIRC. Then came Doom *cue orchestra*

Heh, i think i still have some old gaming magazines (console ones though) with reviews of doom in..

choice line: "Comedy value: 10, the chainsaw is great for impressing your friends-once they've gotten over how good the graphics are, whip this thing out and murder a few minions of hell and watch the results!"

The Heretics Son said:

.. Im sitting here, playing Doom, Wolf3D, Chasm: the rift.. The original quake.. and everyone else is playing Unreal 2, or Halo. tell me... am I wierd for this??

The original Quake?! I just installed that the other day . . . ahh, memories. The first time I played Quake was only a year or so after Doom, and i remeber for the first and only time i got motion sickness from the realism of it compared to doom. Ahh, what Trent brought to it, hearing the music/ambience again... oh God I hope the rumors aren't true. . .

No man, you're not weird, you just have good taste... they don't make em like the used to... or do they?

I didn't play them until that time (95-6) cause my parents didn't want me playing video games... i think the first one they bought for my bro was a 3d "Shooter" called Ken's Labyrinth where you had to find your dog who was kidnapped or something and you shot sunflowers at the monsters... Doom was such a sigh of relief. I think the guy who di that game ended up going on to make Rise of the Triad.

Scabbed Angel said:

.. i think the first one they bought for my bro was a 3d "Shooter" called Ken's Labyrinth where you had to find your dog who was kidnapped or something and you shot sunflowers at the monsters... Doom was such a sigh of relief. I think the guy who di that game ended up going on to make Rise of the Triad.

Lol stupid sunflowers..

Scabbed Angel said:

I think the guy who di that game ended up going on to make Rise of the Triad.

No, but he invented the Build engine iirc.

even more awesome is ultima underworld, which came out before wolf3d but featured flying, swimming, slopes, textured floors/ceilings, etc.

also. i can't find my official wolf3d hintbook that came with the game. it's like the coolest fucking thing ever. how saddening this is.

Yeah. Underworld is so cool. Warren Spector is God, and don't you forget it.

If you want to catch up on your first-person-shooters at all, play through Half-Life at least once. It's a brilliant game.

Use3D said:

No, but he invented the Build engine iirc.

That's right, Kevin Silverman wrote the Build engine for 3DRealms, who used it in Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Shadow Warrior and a few others. He's got a pretty interesting homepage right here : http://www.advsys.net/ken/default.htm. I recommend everyone with an interest in the 2.5D era (or just game programming in general) to read about his work.

The first time I played wolf, it had some weird Street Fighter guys instead of soldiers, and I believe some SF posters also...

Anyone has played this one?