Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grimm

Hmm, I think the Imp and the Demon are getting close

I discovered something interesting just now. Take the Imp death sprites and the Demon death sprites, and put each frame next to each other. You'll notice a lot of similarites, most notibly that the both the Demon's and the Imp's right arm "disappears" (heh) during the death animation. There are a lot of strange similarities, especially qwhen you consider how different the Demon and the Imp are. Pretty interesting, I think.

I think it's because it might look weird if the pinky fell from a slightly different angle.

I dunno, just guessing.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

What about the zombie and shotgunner? They're even closer...

Or a Demon and a Spectre, or a Green Doomguy and a Red Doomguy, or a Cyberdemon at the location of 123,451 and a Cyberdemon at the location of 121,435! :P

Anywho, I think they made them simular cause perhaps they felt that style of death was neato looking. :D

fraggle said:

http://tuneless.plus.com/~fraggle/nakedimp.png

omg naked shaved imp!

*Waits for impse freaks to show up*

What about the zombie and shotgunner? They're even closer...

OH REELIE OMG CNT BELIVE SHOT AND ZOM THEY SIMI OMG

Obviously they're similar. The Marine, the Former Human, and the Former Human Sargeant all all the same exact sprite, only recolored with new heads and guns. And the Marine dies differently. The Imp is just a redrawn version of those guys, too. The reason I find this interesting is because I would not think to find similarities between the Imp and the Demon, especially the arm thing.

fraggle said:

http://tuneless.plus.com/~fraggle/nakedimp.png

If i didn't know any better i'd say that was my shadow wraith skin except with pink colouring. Am i correct or dead wrong?

If I remember correctly, the naked imp skin was made years ago, so probably not.

.... don't forget the fact that the Cacodemon actually has an A**hole. Arhemm. Someone shoot me!

Grimm said:

I discovered something interesting just now. Take the Imp death sprites and the Demon death sprites, and put each frame next to each other. You'll notice a lot of similarites, most notibly that the both the Demon's and the Imp's right arm "disappears"

What? No they don't. Their arms fall behind the right leg. It's just the angle of the sprite.

I always thought the death sprite for hell knights and the baron of hell was a bit odd.
I like the demon's death animation is cool though. And the Archvile.. I had it as my avatar at a website before.

SmellyOgre said:

I didnt know imps had hair, i thought they just had scaly skin. Or maybe it's an albino imp.

Its fur damnit!

*flamewar ensues*

fraggle said:

Its fur damnit!

*flamewar ensues*

I always thought it was their Skin also, seeing they are from hell their fur would burn from the hellfire! :P

DOOM Anomaly said:

I always thought it was their Skin also, seeing they are from hell their fur would burn from the hellfire! :P

no you are.

I always thought it was fur.

It's skin.

What? No they don't. Their arms fall behind the right leg. It's just the angle of the sprite.

Alright, maybe it falls behind the leg, but it looks way more like it just disappears. (To me, at least.) It doesn't help that Kevin Cloud was a lazy sum and didn't draw different angles for the death sprites. Come to think of it, there weren't multi-angle deaths in Heretic, Hexen, or Duke Nukem 3D . . . I guess sprite artists must just be lazy in general.

i always thought it was skin also. i dont find it scary if it had fur it would be kinda cuddly in a furry kind of way

Grimm said:

Alright, maybe it falls behind the leg, but it looks way more like it just disappears. (To me, at least.) It doesn't help that Kevin Cloud was a lazy sum and didn't draw different angles for the death sprites.

Kevin Cloud was the texture artist. And multiple death frames not only takes more time but also space. These people were on a deadline you know.

BlueSonnet said:

If i didn't know any better i'd say that was my shadow wraith skin except with pink colouring. Am i correct or dead wrong?

Nope. Its an imp skin(or is that fur?) I made several years ago, with pink colouring.