Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
chilvence

Uncapped framerate...

Is there any chance of being able to manually set a cap with a cvar? Something like 60-70 FPS would be nice, no reason to force the computer to go over that :)

You may now shoot me.

Heh, I don't think it would be that easy to do right now, but maybe we'll see after getting hold of the 2.0.48 source. I just don't know if it'd be worth it. I mean, what would you gain by being able to limit the framerate? I suppose you could just set the refresh rate to 60Hz and turn on vsync, though (since I managed to get vsync control to work properly).

I'd rather like to see ZDoomGL not go below 35fps :P What's the use of uncapped fps when it goes below 30 fps in a bit more detailed levels anyways?

I just thought (in my infinite paranoia) that if the game starts running into the 200fps mark that its making all that effort even though Ill never notice the difference. I dont have a 200HZ monitor :)

See zdoom+zdoomgl seem to make my computer pretty warm...

Just so happens I had asked Randy Heit about this recently...

<Me> Speaking of which, I was wondering, is the uncapped frame rate going to have any kind of performance hit on slower machines?

<Randy> It shouldn't, since the only thing changed about the renderer is how often the view gets redrawn. I think Doom effectively had an uncapped frame rate too, but it wasn't able to draw anything different during the time between tics, so it was effectively 35 FPS.

So I take from that, that Zdoom isn't really doing anything extra when the frame rate is uncapped, but rather it is able to actually display what it was basically doing anyway. Presumably the same will go for ZdoomGL?

Thats precisely my point though, why redraw the screen 1000 times a second when most monitors dont go over 100 Hz... isnt that just wasted effort?

Hit me if Im being stupid.